Brewer Fanatic

2014-05-06 Diamondbacks (Collmenter) at Brewers (Estrada), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-5]

I would have had no problem with using Kintzler had Thornburg thrown more pitches than 12. With so few pitches thrown though, i just don't get why so many managers in today's baseball have decided that late inning relief pitchers should only be allowed to pitch one inning, regardless of how effective and how few pitches that guy had thrown the previous inning.

Bingo! It's been my pet peeve for some time, I don't understand why you wouldn't ride out a hot reliever for at least 2 innings in a game? If he's dealing, let him go, there's no guarantee the next reliever up is going to have his good stuff that day. I'd rather pitch a guy 2 innings in one game and give him the next day off if possible rather than use him 3 straight days, even if his pitch counts in those innings are low.

It would be nice if some day some manager would break the mold and start managing situations rather than innings. What does it matter who the manager is when all of them manage the exact same way? The only thing that really separates those guys is how they manage the club house, they all stick to nothing but established protocols that really don't make any sense if you put some thought into what's happening. In what other sport does every single coach adapt the exact same philosophy? I admit I don't know soccer hardly at all outside of giving it a chance during the last 3 World Cups, but in the sports I tend to follow outside of baseball: hockey, basketball, and football there are teams that might have similar schemes offensively and defensively in some respects, but everyone has a unique philosophy twist in one way or another. Nothing is as rigid as managerial strategy in baseball.

I find much of the established protocol in baseball to be completely frustrating from the minor leagues through MLB.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It didn't end up mattering, but odd that Roenicke wouldn't use Wang the other night with a big lead, but decides to use him in a 2 run ballgame. This team still has the best record in baseball, this team still has the best record in baseball, this team still has the best record in baseball...

I wonder if Wang is doing a lot of side sessions to help his development while in the bigs. Maybe he wasn't available when we had a big lead but was available yesterday?

Tough game to sit and watch in person. I was questioning taking out Thorny before Kinzly threw a pitch.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

It was depressing to lose and we all are pissed at RR for his management of the bullpen. However, the bigger story here is our anemic offense. It hurts not having Braun but the bigger issue is Ramirez' slump here. He needs a couple of days off but I suppose without Braun RR is loathe to do that. If your cleanup hitter can't get a ball out of the infield and hits into double plays every other at bat you have a big problem scoring runs against ANYBODY. :(

The only silver lining about yesterday is both the Cards and the Reds lost so they didn't gain any ground on us while we flailed away at the plate yet again. :ohwell

Verified Member
Because of our crap-filled offense, every game that our manager blows from stupidity hurts that much more. If we are in position to win games with our lack of offense, those games become even more important in the grand scheme of things. It's all the little things with our manager that seem to add up to several losses per year. In a race towards the playoffs, every loss counts, and could eliminate us from play-off contention.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived