Brewer Fanatic

2014-05-06 Diamondbacks (Collmenter) at Brewers (Estrada), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-5]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh, wang... I guess RR figures - probably correctly - that a 2-run lead is insurmountable.

He's probably right. But as the manager you've at least got to fake confidence. Should have went with Maldy.

Jimmy Nelson is just smoking the competition at Nashville. 4-1, 2.08 ERA, 36 K in 39 IP, and a sparkling 0.92 WHIP.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I want to point out the posters here called the mistakes, the stupidity, BEFORE the results were in.

Ron has really done a good, proactive job up to the last few games. He has reverted back to a 'panic', 'buddy' manager. Proactive decisions are not made in panic or on being a buddy to the guys or a predetermined set of cookie cutter decisions (with no regard to form of the players).

I hope Ron goes back to playing players on form, not buddy, or roles.

This inning shows why Wang is a good mop up guy. He throws strikes. So he can always be counted on for 3 innings and 60-70 pitches in a who cares game. So even Wang is misused here. Did he rest the bullpen. Only Ron's silly game blowing has rested some of the bullpen here.

I sure hope we come back. We cannot throw 1 game away so easily. Terrible.

Ok, Caleb, time for your first home run of the season.

Let's go, offense!

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Arizona's announcer just said that hopefully their closer's familiarity with Miller Park as a member of the White Sox will help him here.

Must have brought the family up to see some games on off days. :laughing

LOL, really?

Arizona's announcer just said that hopefully their closer's familiarity with Miller Park as a member of the White Sox will help him here.

Because he might come close to crashing into the wall in the outfield? Not sure what familiarity with a stadium would help a pitcher. Yes, I realize CWS don't make it to Miller Park often and that is the crux of the original statement. Just a dumb statement even if he had been with the Cubs.

I'm at a loss for words right now. Still can't believe what happened.

So, thornburg threw how many pitches?

I would have had no problem with using Kintzler had Thornburg thrown more pitches than 12. With so few pitches thrown though, i just don't get why so many managers in today's baseball have decided that late inning relief pitchers should only be allowed to pitch one inning, regardless of how effective and how few pitches that guy had thrown the previous inning.

It's pretty amazing how nearly all managers have turned into robots when it comes to bullpen usage in close games from the 7th inning on if their team is ahead. A pitcher could come in the 7th inning and strike out the side on only 9 pitches, yet get pulled for the 8th inning because today's manager handbook says late inning relief pitchers are only allowed to throw one inning unless a game is in extra innings.

This started around 8-10 years ago in baseball and now nearly all managers for whatever reason follow a very similar formula based more on a pretty rigid plan, without factoring in stuff like did a guy throw a low number of pitches in an effective previous inning.

To be honest, you need to consider the warming up process before coming on; so a bullpen would go a LOT further if you had HALF the appearance and DOUBLE the pitches. For example, using Thornburg every other day for 12 pitches is a LOT MORE stressful than using him every forth day for 24 pitches. You could likely use him every third day for 24 pitches.

This game, as far as I can see, was the first game of the year thrown away with idiocy. I sure hope Ron learns. Other games I could follow. This was just a monumental stupid attack.

Archived