Brewer Fanatic

If Still Contenders in July, Do You See the Brewers Buying?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes they will seek somebody in July. Who? That really depends on the roster's health situation. Braun/Gomez being out you figure a Replacement is acquired for the stretch run. ARam and 3b? Of course 1b could be a sought after improvement by then. Right now, too early to make guesses. Gennett/Weeks fail/ Furcal from Miami? Bonifacio? Davis struggles any OF that's available. Let's get through May first before creating guesswork acquisitions.

I pretty much mirror bcd80's comments... it'll depend on the injury situation and who heats up/cools off.

Right now, our entire pitching staff is acting as if the ghost of Cy Young is haunting the clubhouse, but the only players hitting are Braun, Gomez, Lucroy, Reynolds, and Maldonado. Braun's hurt, so who knows when/if he'll be fully healthy. All in all, I guess I'll say that it's unlikely they go after a catcher.

The unasked part of the equation is who would be on our "no trade" list from the farm. Would the Brewers trade guys like Nelson, Taylor, Roache or Coulter in order to upgrade this year?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd like to see them make a minor move for the future by acquiring Mike Moustakas from the Royals. Not sure if the Royals would move him and if they would, what they would want, but I have a real fear for the Brewers long term at 3B. Not saying Moustakas necessarily would solve that but he looks like an ideal change of scenery candidate. For 2014, this would give us a power bat to PH and give Ramirez and possibly the 1B a break. For 2015, perhaps a replacement for Ramirez if his struggles continue.

Verified Member
Would the Brewers spend on Kendrys Morales?

After the June draft then I think they 100% will go after Morales. In fact, if they hadn't already missed a first-round pick last season, I'm guessing Morales would already be a Brewer. Hard to lose a first-round pick two years in a row, but Melvin loves buy-low bargains and the current Overbay/Reynolds tandem is more of a rebuild-year stopgap than a 1B solution for a contending team.

Would the Brewers spend on Kendrys Morales?

After the June draft then I think they 100% will go after Morales. In fact, if they hadn't already missed a first-round pick last season, I'm guessing Morales would already be a Brewer. Hard to lose a first-round pick two years in a row, but Melvin loves buy-low bargains and the current Overbay/Reynolds tandem is more of a rebuild-year stopgap than a 1B solution for a contending team.

I agree that the Brewers could go after Morales, and that Reynolds could be a bust, but let's let him fail before we call him a failure. He could turn out to be a good find by Melvin. He's currently got a line of .233 avg / .309 OBP / .512 SLG / .821 OPS, with 7 HR in 86 AB. I know he had a couple down years in Baltimore (.763 & .699 OPS, but still 21 & 23 HR), but even with those, his career line is still .233 / .328 / .465 / .794. He could certainly post an .800+ OPS given a full season, which isn't bad, even for a 1B, and fits nicely in the 5-6 spot in a lineup. Reynolds has been a positive addition so far.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I always like the thought of overpaying for good players. Some players end up with 12 mill dollar contracts are worth maybe half that. I would love the Brewers, say, to pick up some guy that had 1 1/2 years on a bad contract. But the player is still a valuable player. That is the only 'bargain' I see at trade deadlines. Find a team out of it and wants to shed a big contract on a 'still ok/good' player. This sort of thing likely will only fit for the Brewers as a 3rd baseman, 1st baseman, or reliever. Because we may need (next year) a player in those positions who is good, even if an overpay.

I keep hoping that Marty Brennamen will keep trying to run Votto out of town. The good record certainly lets you wait and see more of how the roster sorts itself out before you commit any resources to a trade. I worry that with Morales being an unspectacular defender and the lay-off that the improvement part Reynolds might be uninspiring compared to the salary. It think there is definite value in looking at the bench situation and making a smaller move there for the right kind of piece (Bianchi is nice and versatile and a good defender, but you still need something more than a designated out). After that I'd be opportunistic in that there are a lot of potential soft spots on the roster that could be improved under the right circumstances. Will Scooter hit enough? Davis? how will Aramis age?

Reynolds isn't signed beyond this year so even if he's hitting, Morales still makes sense. Use Reynolds a little more at 3B. I'd also be on the lookout for an OF (LH) if Davis doesn't pick it up and another bullpen arm.

I always like the thought of overpaying for good players. Some players end up with 12 mill dollar contracts are worth maybe half that. I would love the Brewers, say, to pick up some guy that had 1 1/2 years on a bad contract. But the player is still a valuable player. That is the only 'bargain' I see at trade deadlines. Find a team out of it and wants to shed a big contract on a 'still ok/good' player. This sort of thing likely will only fit for the Brewers as a 3rd baseman, 1st baseman, or reliever. Because we may need (next year) a player in those positions who is good, even if an overpay.

I don't like the thought of overpaying for anything. That's why they call it "over"paying... you're paying more than it's worth.

However, in the scenario you set up I don't think you have to overpay. At trade deadline, teams that are out of it are often trying to find someone to take some salary off their hands, so teams with some financial flexibility can sometimes grab decent players for nothing, while getting the other team to still pick up a lot of the salary. This is how we originally landed K-Rod from the Mets. The questions become "how much do we have to give up in players?" and "How much do we have to pick up in salary?" This can turn a potential overpay into an underpay just because the other team is happy to save a few million dollars.

~Bill Walsh

The answer of course is yes because Melvin/Antonnasio(sp) track record shows they are willing to go out and get pieces when they have a legit opportunity to win. Does it mean we'll go get a CC? Probably not. But I can't imagine no roster upgrades at all if we're in the position to win a division come July.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I find this interesting because the automatic answer is yes, Melvin will go out and get someone - he always has.

But that someone is usually a pitcher. And, knock on wood, I don't really see adding a pitcher at the deadline assuming the pitchers are healthy and pitching somewhat to their ability/pay rate (and Wang is retained the whole season). Where is there a pitcher that has options that you can improve enough on to send out decent propect(s) to get a meaningful return? I don't see it.

So then you look at positional players. Barring injuries - Gomez, Braun, Segura, Lucroy, are no.

Between Overbay and Reynolds we can play the hot hand and get good enough defense, that I wonder if it is worth it to trade for a slight improvement unless that player you trade for is also going to be the 1B for the next few years (and is preferably lefty bat). Is there any way to trade for Goldschmidt just so he doesn't play against us anymore?

You aren't going to trade to replace ARam assuming he comes to any type of life, unless, once again that player is the future of that position for the next few years and ARam is moved to 1B.

I think it would take quite a slump from Gennett for Melvin to look to replace him and in the mean time they would just give more time to Weeks.

That leaves Davis. For no logical reason Davis has a shorter noose than Gennett to me. But I think you look to trade for a player only looking to fill out the rest of the year. A Jerry Hairston Jr. to give a spark for the last two months.

I don't really see trying to improve upon Bianchi and Maldy and Schafer for what you want them to do. So the one move will be acquiring a big, aging pinch hit bat to replace Weeks when he is cut in July.

Melvin has gone after position players in the past at the deadline, like Lopez.

I would rather trade someone like Jungmann to the Pirates for Wang than give up a B or C type prospect for another short term solution. If you could land a player to help for 2 years or so until some of our Minor League OF depth matures enough to be MLB ready I wouldn't have a problem with it. However to trade for some short term solution just to have to revisit the hole again in the off season doesn't appeal to me.

I think there is hope for Davis, I never thought he'd be an all-star, but he could be a decent player to bridge the gap to better talent. The knock on him was always that his swing was long, I haven't watched enough of him this year to offer an opinion as when I've had time I've been mostly focused on watching MiLB baseball to relay more first hand observations.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I find this interesting because the automatic answer is yes, Melvin will go out and get someone - he always has.

But that someone is usually a pitcher. And, knock on wood, I don't really see adding a pitcher at the deadline assuming the pitchers are healthy and pitching somewhat to their ability/pay rate (and Wang is retained the whole season). Where is there a pitcher that has options that you can improve enough on to send out decent propect(s) to get a meaningful return? I don't see it.

So then you look at positional players. Barring injuries - Gomez, Braun, Segura, Lucroy, are no.

Between Overbay and Reynolds we can play the hot hand and get good enough defense, that I wonder if it is worth it to trade for a slight improvement unless that player you trade for is also going to be the 1B for the next few years (and is preferably lefty bat). Is there any way to trade for Goldschmidt just so he doesn't play against us anymore?

You aren't going to trade to replace ARam assuming he comes to any type of life, unless, once again that player is the future of that position for the next few years and ARam is moved to 1B.

I think it would take quite a slump from Gennett for Melvin to look to replace him and in the mean time they would just give more time to Weeks.

That leaves Davis. For no logical reason Davis has a shorter noose than Gennett to me. But I think you look to trade for a player only looking to fill out the rest of the year. A Jerry Hairston Jr. to give a spark for the last two months.

I don't really see trying to improve upon Bianchi and Maldy and Schafer for what you want them to do. So the one move will be acquiring a big, aging pinch hit bat to replace Weeks when he is cut in July.

Kind of depends on whether they're managing egos or not. It's early, but right now only Braun, Gomez, Lucroy, Reynolds and Maldonado (20 AB) are hitting well. No one else has an OPS over .700, which should be a minimum expectation for a MLB regular.

-Ramirez is a notorious slow-starter, so I'm hoping that the problem, and not age catching up with him.

-Segura is the prize of the Greinke trade, plays good defense and had a flash of brilliance at the plate to start last season

-Davis and Gennett are the only position players the Brewers can hang their hat on to say "our farm isn't as bad as the scouts say."

It's very early, with a sample of barely over 100 ABs, so I expect these guys to get hot and raise their offense to an acceptable level. However, if one or some of them don't heat up, will the Brewers be willing to shop for upgrades at these positions?

~Bill Walsh

This team needs one more consistent bat to be a contender over the course of the season. Folks have identified the likely spots for upgrades - 1b, 2nd and LF. I don't really care where the upgrade is made but I think that we have to make a move if we're going to make a run for it.

My biggest concern is that I don't know if they have enough depth or high level prospects in the minors to really swing a deal for another star that can carry the team for a week or so while others are slumping, injured, etc.

Nelson, Coulter, and Taylor are probably the only really good trading chip we have and I have no interest in dealing them for a short term fix. Jungmann, Bradley, Fiers, Roache, Haniger, Etc aren't going to bring impact talent back. I would be really afraid of DM doing something stupid and trading Nelson, Coulter, or Taylor; they are the closest thing to impact prospects we have and we desperately need to hang on to them.

If the Royals don't wake up soon Moustakas is someone I could see the Royals trading. He shouldn't cost all that much. Alex Gordon is another possibility but if he is on the market there is no way the Brewers have a chance to get him.

The White Sox have a few good pieces that the Brewers could use. The Indians have Swisher who could become available if the Indians don't start to turn it around. I don't see an impact bat becoming available. The only options that I see are average to just above average players becoming available.

I was confused how my overpaying was mis-interpreted. And I thought I was clear. When I say overpay, I mean overpay in MONEY terms for a year and a half to help THIS year and NEXT. I don't mean overpay in trading prospects. I think a money overpay for a year and a half, where the seller has a huge incentive to sell... is better than FA where the player holds the balance of power.

If this team is still in contention by July, then I see them going after a 1B if they haven't signed Morales. They may go after a LF too if Davis keeps playing poorly. I wouldn't be upset if they added another reliever. It never hurts to have an awesome and deep group of relieves. Last thing we want to see is K-Rod, Smith, Thornburg, or Kinztler gassed by August. It all depends on how healthy the roster is. You figure that Aramis, Braun, and Segura are eventually going to wake up and start hitting. None of those guys are producing at their normal levels. This silly thing of the team not hitting well at Miller Park is eventually going to come to an end as well.

I was confused how my overpaying was mis-interpreted. And I thought I was clear. When I say overpay, I mean overpay in MONEY terms for a year and a half to help THIS year and NEXT. I don't mean overpay in trading prospects. I think a money overpay for a year and a half, where the seller has a huge incentive to sell... is better than FA where the player holds the balance of power.

It was clear. Overpay by definition means "pay more than something is worth." I don't think it's ever a good idea to pay more than something is worth.

Free agency sets the market. If you are overpaying in MONEY in a trade, then by definition you are paying more than the player would receive if you got them via free agency.

I think this is a terminology thing. I agree that looking for a good player from a team that is looking to dump salary could be a good option, assuming the Brewers have the free cash to make the deal. I do not think the should overpay, either in MONEY or in PROSPECTS to get the player. If the opposing team is looking to dump salary, we should be able to underpay, as the opposing team will just be happy to rid themselves of a few million dollars on a contract they were otherwise obligated to pay.

Let's use Weeks as an example. Many here would love for us to give up Weeks for nothing in return, while still eating much of his contract, just to free up some cash and a roster spot. I wouldn't expect another team to overpay to get Weeks. The Brewers would be overpaying by paying part of his salary to play for someone else.

~Bill Walsh

Archived