Brewer Fanatic

Yosted...Sure Don't Miss This

brwrsfan

Joe Posnanski chimed in with his own piece....

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-intentional-walk-rage-system/

But what drives me nuts is a manager who today believes one thing, tomorrow believes a second thing, the next day goes back to the first thing, the day after that believes something else entirely. In this, you not only lose the strategic edge (which may or may not be trivial) you also leave your players kind of bemused. If you hit the .300 OBP guy everybody likes at leadoff, they might stand behind you. If you hit the .300 OBP guy at leadoff one day, pull him the next because he doesn’t get on base enough, put him back in the leadoff spot because your gut tells you he’s about to get hot, take him out again because he doesn’t get on base … you leave EVERYBODY ticked off.

Ned Yost is like this. He’s a “gut” manager, meaning he not only makes odd decisions because they feel right in the moment but, heck, tomorrow he might do something entirely different because his gut boomed a different rumble.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

that post on hardballtalk is just epic.

In summary. With a left hander on the mound; Yost elected to intentionally walk Cano (a lefty) to face Hart (a righty) in the 3rd inning with 2 outs in a 0-0 game. He basically was scared to death that Cano might hit a solo HR against his lefty and would rather face Hart, who hits lefties pretty good, with a runner on.

Yeah there is no logic there at all

I recall a game where he refused to pinch hit Kevin Mench for Geoff Jenkins facing a LHP. Was screaming at my television.

I was pretty defeated by the time the Brian Shouse/Ryan Howard incident occurred, but was rather relieved at the result.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Joe Posnanski chimed in with his own piece....

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-intentional-walk-rage-system/

But what drives me nuts is a manager who today believes one thing, tomorrow believes a second thing, the next day goes back to the first thing, the day after that believes something else entirely. In this, you not only lose the strategic edge (which may or may not be trivial) you also leave your players kind of bemused. If you hit the .300 OBP guy everybody likes at leadoff, they might stand behind you. If you hit the .300 OBP guy at leadoff one day, pull him the next because he doesn’t get on base enough, put him back in the leadoff spot because your gut tells you he’s about to get hot, take him out again because he doesn’t get on base … you leave EVERYBODY ticked off.

Ned Yost is like this. He’s a “gut” manager, meaning he not only makes odd decisions because they feel right in the moment but, heck, tomorrow he might do something entirely different because his gut boomed a different rumble.

This was brilliant. Walking Cano in the 3rd inning for no reason. Just awesome.

Archived