Brewer Fanatic

Ted Simmons and the Cubs

My Brew.net namesake had an interesting game invloving Bill Matlock and Mad Hungarian, Al Hraboski 40 years ago. I have no memory of it, but it is worth a look. A truly bizarre brawl born of pure baseball gamesmanship run amuck. You may have seen the odd image of TWO batters at the plate as the pitch zips in and.....oh, just check it out. ;)

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24548529/just-because-the-1974-cubs-cardinals-brawl

(Cubs go for the sweep tonite on national TV)

Now I see where Maldy got his right jab from.

Hrabosky...if he was a Brewer he would have been a punk. In St. Louis, a classy tough guy espousing the Cardinal way.

LOL, I can assure you that he's far from that these days. As the TV play by play announcer Cards fans cringed for years. He was simply awful. Hardly the bravado figure he enjoyed as a player.

I began disliking him when he blurted out, on the air, that Ted may have been a good hitter, "but was far from the sharpest tool in the shed". That comment was the beginning of the end for him. With the owners bending to the fans unrest they gave the word to FSMW that the Mad One had to go.

Unfortunately his replacement was Tim Mc Carver. :( But I suppose he's the lesser of.... (and a vocal proponent for Simmons and Torre for the HOF)

Archived