Brewer Fanatic

Wooten recalled….Herrera optioned back to Nashville

Verified Member
I think sending Weeks to AAA would demolish his confidence even further. Really, the most sensible thing to me would be to give him some time at 3B/OF to increase his playing time. But even in the "white flag" games involving Herrera in RF and Reynolds at 3B they decided not start weeks, so if you're not going to do it then you're not going to do it ever. Not sure what their strategy is with Weeks right now. They might still be in the window of keeping him out of the lineup to 100% guarantee he doesn't hit 400 PA this season no matter what.

If I was Weeks and the Brewers asked me to do that I would tell them to pound sand take my money and sign elsewhere. No way would I play in the minors this year unless on rehab.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Verified Member
If I was Weeks and the Brewers asked me to do that I would tell them to pound sand take my money and sign elsewhere. No way would I play in the minors this year unless on rehab.

absolutely. I just see no way Weeks is sent to AAA unless he gets hurt.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Weeks has had better AB's the last 10 days. As much as I've advocated releasing him due to limited production and lack of versatility off the bench, as long as he's making some contribution I'm okay with him sticking around (alternatives are limited at this point) at least until Memorial Day and reassessing then. It would be nice if he drove in a run once in a while but the opportunities haven't been all that frequent.

So would Weeks do what is best for the team or what Weeks thinks is best for Weeks. Now, either way Weeks gets has $9 mill remaining salary. So it is not a money thing. And, to be honest, if Weeks went to AAA and batted .400 he will likely snag something in the future. If he remains at the MLB club with a sub .400 OPS for the year, then his career is finished.

So would Weeks do what is best for the team or what Weeks thinks is best for Weeks. Now, either way Weeks gets has $9 mill remaining salary. So it is not a money thing. And, to be honest, if Weeks went to AAA and batted .400 he will likely snag something in the future. If he remains at the MLB club with a sub .400 OPS for the year, then his career is finished.

There is no way Weeks will voluntarily go to AAA. If he went to AAA and played poorly, his career would be over. As long as he sticks on the MLB roster, someone will at least offer him a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So for Weeks it becomes a bit of con act. If he sticks at MLB even showing nothing and even hurting his teammates, then maybe he can con some sucker next year. If he has the balls to go to AAA and play and prove himself he risks showing that his career is over. So he would rather hurt his teammates for a possible con in 2015, rather than be a man and try to 'put up' something in AAA - and HELP his team and mates, then come back for the end of the year.

I hope in the next couple of weeks the Brewers offer that to Rickie. Please go to AAA for while for the best of the club. Then when he says 'no thanks' it is his choice.

I assume Bianchi is a better option at 2nd at this point in time vs Weeks. And I guess Green is the backup then for a Scooter injury.

It's not personal, it's business. Very few MLB players will voluntarily head to AAA if they have the option, just like most people wouldn't take it too well if told by their boss "you will help your co-workers by leaving so we can get someone else to do your job." There's no reason to go to AAA, where he would not only lose all the perks of being in the majors, but would also take the risk of playing poorly. Since he "should" play well in AAA, going down and playing well wouldn't really help his cause, while going down and not playing well would really hurt his chances of being a major leaguer next season.

I'm sure Weeks still thinks he's a good player, and that he can help the team, even if he realizes he hasn't been "himself" for a while. I don't think Weeks is a bad guy - quite the opposite - and I don't think anyone's "conning" anyone. Other GM's will know what's happened the past couple seasons, so they will be making an informed decision by offering him a deal, much like Melvin made an informed decision offering Overbay and Reynolds similar deals this offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So for Weeks it becomes a bit of con act. If he sticks at MLB even showing nothing and even hurting his teammates, then maybe he can con some sucker next year. If he has the balls to go to AAA and play and prove himself he risks showing that his career is over. So he would rather hurt his teammates for a possible con in 2015, rather than be a man and try to 'put up' something in AAA - and HELP his team and mates, then come back for the end of the year.

This is rather ridiculous.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weeks won't go to AAA. He'd rather just get cut. It allows him to try and find a major league team where he can get regular playing time (don't know if that's possible). Playing well at AAA doesn't really demonstrate a lot. Like Monty says, if he does well, people will just say he's supposed to do well. I'm sure he thinks that if he gets some regular PT he'll do just fine.

I disagree with all the Weeks bashing. Aside from the position inflexibility of being 2B only, that's a way better last PH bat off the bench than most teams have. His last several plate appearances he's been hitting the ball hard. He may not be what he was, and he won't be worth $9mm this year but that's a sunk cost. I'd also like to avoid Scooter wearing out like Segura did last year. Having a soft platoon that gets Weeks 30+ starts makes sense to me. I'd rather have his bat than any other ones I see in Nashville. If that changes around the trading deadline so be it.

I disagree with all the Weeks bashing. Aside from the position inflexibility of being 2B only, that's a way better last PH bat off the bench than most teams have. His last several plate appearances he's been hitting the ball hard. He may not be what he was, and he won't be worth $9mm this year but that's a sunk cost. I'd also like to avoid Scooter wearing out like Segura did last year. Having a soft platoon that gets Weeks 30+ starts makes sense to me. I'd rather have his bat than any other ones I see in Nashville. If that changes around the trading deadline so be it.

I've said all along that Weeks should be a Brewer until a better option showed up. With no real good position players in AAA, Weeks got the spot by default, and letting Weeks play only against LHP gave the possibility that he could start out hot, help the team and potentially get another GM in need of a 2B to trade for him.

The trade possibility is out the window, so he should no longer be held on to with that in mind, and right now we need another OF far more than we need a backup who can only play 2B and who hasn't hit the ball well for a couple of seasons. Segura's back, so Bianchi is freed up to spell Gennett when needed. Neither Bianchi nor Weeks is hitting well, but at least Bianchi plays good defense.

If Gindl is retained and Weeks cut, we end up with this depth chart:

C: Lucroy / Maldonado

1B: Reynolds / Overbay

2B: Gennett / Bianchi

SS: Segura / Bianchi

3B: Ramirez / Reynolds / Bianchi

LF: Davis / Gindl

CF: Gomez / Schafer

RF: Braun / Gindl

With his thumb and yearly oblique strains, Braun needs time off, and Davis is looking like he could use a "soft platoon" mate. That makes Gindl more valuable to the team than Weeks. Bianchi is a perfectly capable backup utility IF, so this seems like a good move to me.

~Bill Walsh

Archived