Brewer Fanatic

Wooten recalled….Herrera optioned back to Nashville

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Herrera has looked terrible in the outfield and he's not much of a hitter. He's Bianchi 2.0.

Herrera certainly didn't inspire any one in the OF. Putting aside the spiked ball from the other day (which was very Raul Ibanez-esque), his routes didn't seem real precise. I realize he doesn't play there much, but it wasn't great.

While Biachi looks like a bad hitter, I have a lot more confidence in him in the field. He seems to have a pretty good grip on the game, no matter where he is playing. I'd be pretty comfortable putting him in the OF. Of course, his bat isn't likely to help us.

A Braun DL stint coupled with a Gindl promotion seems like a good idea, too - Once Schafer's back having both him and Gindl available would be nice to get Davis and Gomez a day off.

It would be nice having somebody other than weak-hitting backup utility IF's starting games in RF. And that doesn't mean I want Reynolds out there instead. If Braun can't play tonight he needs to get DL'd.

I'm fine with Reynolds in RF. I would have used him there instead of Herrera anyway (until A-Ram got hurt). Without Braun they need Reynolds' pop in the lineup. I have to assume A-Ram and Segura are starting leaving a bench of Weeks, Bianchi, and Maldanado.

Eh, Weeks gets a reprieve. He's had some better AB's the last 10 days. When Schafer returns, either Braun goes on DL or one of Weeks or Wang is gone. I suppose Wooten could be sent back, but really after 2 games their bullpen issues are solved?

Herrera has looked terrible in the outfield and he's not much of a hitter. He's Bianchi 2.0.

Herrera certainly didn't inspire any one in the OF. Putting aside the spiked ball from the other day (which was very Raul Ibanez-esque), his routes didn't seem real precise. I realize he doesn't play there much, but it wasn't great.

While Biachi looks like a bad hitter, I have a lot more confidence in him in the field. He seems to have a pretty good grip on the game, no matter where he is playing. I'd be pretty comfortable putting him in the OF. Of course, his bat isn't likely to help us.

I'm not sure why everyone is worried about losing his "versatility". Bianchi can play the same infield positions that Herrera can and anyone on the roster can play RF as good as he did.

So they're basically willing to let the batboy play RF while Weeks sits the bench, but it would be embarrassing to Weeks and the team to just cut him and bring up someone who could actually help the team.

Since Spring Training I've said that Weeks would be around until a better option showed itself. I hoped that would mean someone in AAA would hit well and force himself onto the roster, but instead it has been the injury bug, which makes bringing up an actual OF to play OF seem like a really good idea... far better than letting the $12 Million Dollar Man ride the pine.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Honestly, given that the fact that this has turned into a contending team, both Weeks and Wang have no business being on the roster. Weeks needs to be replaced by someone who can provide more flexibility and actually help the team, and Wang's spot needs to be used for flexibility in the pen. Cycle between guys like Wooten, Figaro, and whoever else, so the pen doesn't get overworked. I realize that Wooten is up right now, but someone has to go when Schafer returns on Saturday. If it were me, I would've just dumped Weeks or Wang to call-up Wooten, and the other when Schafer returns. I probably would've sent down Herrera for Gindl too, just to have someone who can actually play RF.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Is there any reason Rickie can't start taking fly balls in the outfield, to at least be an option to put in the outfield for a game or two if needed? (I remember when his defense was the problem rather than his bat, and a lot of us assumed he'd be moved to the outfield eventually.)

I realize that a lot of the need for added versatility goes away by Saturday (when Schafer returns), but there is still the lingering issue of Braun's back and Gomez's suspension. It would be nice to have some extra flexibility on the bench if it came to that.

Terrible is being kind. That fly ball that he got himself all turned around on when Wang came into the game was just awful.

Of course then Gennett can't handle a GB to him on the next at bat, but that was at least a tough play.

And that throw......What the what? It looked like he had a piece of tape stuck to his hands and he was just swinging his hand to get the tape to come off.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

So they're basically willing to let the batboy play RF while Weeks sits the bench, but it would be embarrassing to Weeks and the team to just cut him and bring up someone who could actually help the team.

Since Spring Training I've said that Weeks would be around until a better option showed itself. I hoped that would mean someone in AAA would hit well and force himself onto the roster, but instead it has been the injury bug, which makes bringing up an actual OF to play OF seem like a really good idea... far better than letting the $12 Million Dollar Man ride the pine.

It has got to be a case of the GM trying to save face, right?.... How long can Melvin hold out hope that Weeks will get a little hot streak and another team loses a 2B and they can get more than min. wage back in savings?

It is just time to cut him and bring up Gindl / Green and let Bianchi start against some of the lefties for Gennett.

Verified Member

Weeks first 10 games: .143/.143/.190/.333

Weeks last 9 games: .273/.429/.273/.701

Giving up on Weeks now would be silly. He will rebuild value if you just give him enough time. I think maybe Gindl could be expected to be a better hitter at this point, but Gindl is the one with less positional flexibility. Weeks is a 2B. If required he could likely play anywhere on the field except C/SS most likely.

It has got to be a case of the GM trying to save face, right?.... How long can Melvin hold out hope that Weeks will get a little hot streak and another team loses a 2B and they can get more than min. wage back in savings?

Why does it have to be the GM saving face? Why couldn't it be holding onto someone in case of injury to the current second baseman or holding onto him until someone better in the minors forces their way onto the roster? It would really suck to cut Weeks then have Gennett go down. Then we'd get the honor of paying for Weeks to sit on the bench of another team and his replacement here as well.

I get we are in a tricky spot with all the small injuries but the team has been doing pretty well riding it out. I don't really think it we need to do anything that could potentially effect our long term success if it isn't hurting our short term success. So far it is not. So why do it?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think it has the potential to hurt our success though. The past three games are classic examples. Just because we won two games courtesy of two Cardinals meltdowns doesn't mean that we shouldn't look to improve.

The reality is that Weeks is arguably the worst position player on a MLB roster right now. He has a great attitude, but his defense is terrible, his offense is terrible, he is a poor pinch hitter, he can't play more than one position, and plays the same position as one of our most durable players.

Gennett in the majors has an OPS of .324 vs LHers. Not not OBP, OPS. He needs a platoon mate. Cutting Weeks removes any type of infield back up the Brewers have and gives more PAs to Bianchi who has had way too many as it is.

Verified Member
I think it has the potential to hurt our success though. The past three games are classic examples. Just because we won two games courtesy of two Cardinals meltdowns doesn't mean that we shouldn't look to improve.

The reality is that Weeks is arguably the worst position player on a MLB roster right now. He has a great attitude, but his defense is terrible, his offense is terrible, he is a poor pinch hitter, he can't play more than one position, and plays the same position as one of our most durable players.

That is preposterous. The level of irrational hatred for Weeks on this board is bizarre. (Also, since when is Gennett suddenly "one of our most durable players"???)

I was thinking this morning... say you are in the playoffs and you are facing a leftie... who do you play at 2nd base. That answer (given the current roster) is clearly Weeks. So I wish this would happen: Rickie agrees to go to AAA to play EVERY DAY. He knows if Gennett gets hurt or becomes ineffective, he is called up. He knows (or is promised) that in September he is called up. And he knows he will even make it onto the playoff roster.

This scenario offers the best situation for NOW and the PLAYOFFS and next year (that is, no Rickie, but he has retired with grace)

Souptown, I've thought of that before since Weeks has options, however, he needs to agree to go down. At the very least it would build his trade value. Plus right now we need Gindl in the majors since Davis is being over-exposed as we all expected. Davis is facing too many righties and needs someone to give him some days off. Gomez needs occasional days off, and Braun seems likely to miss 20-30 games every year. So having 4 OF isn't cutting it. Gindl and Davis should be 50-50 in LF, and Schafer should get roughly 50 starts between RF and CF.

Archived