Brewer Fanatic

Using position players as relief pitchers

adambr2

I applaud Roenicke for going outside the box today and I applaud Maldonado for doing his part to save the pen. As it turns out despite the very short start from Garza, we only used 1 inning of a regular reliever. Wang is designed for these situations anyway and doesn't really figure into our planning for close late games.

I wonder if this could become a regular practice, and why more managers don't do this in obvious blowout situations if you have a tired pen. By regular I just mean a time or two a month in blowout situations, but it could make the difference the next day or two with fresh arms that you might have otherwise had to use.

You don't need a guy to go do anything but throw strikes in some situations. Eventually they will hit them to enough guys to record 3 outs and that's all you need. Get out of the game and save who you can for the upcoming games.

it should happen more. Don't throw a star out there. But your last position player?? why not. It's also entertaining for the team and players. And like they say, nearly all these guys have pitched before.

Verified Member
There really aren't that many blowouts these days. At least not combined with an exhausted bullpen. Usually, there is a guy(s) who is an actual pitcher who needs the work. It happens when it needs to happen, like today.

Verified Member
I'd say this happens about once or twice a month throughout the entire MLB. It certainly isn't new.

In extra innings, yeah. But I can't remember the last time I saw a position player pitch in the eighth. :laughing

Verified Member
The downside is probably injury risk. Years ago, Jose Canseco got hurt pitching an inning of relief for the Rangers. Of course, it was probably dumb of Kevin Kennedy to use a star player like that.

ahem... [sarcasm]excuse me, Canseco got hurt because he used PED's, not because he pitched an inning[/sarcasm]

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'd say this happens about once or twice a month throughout the entire MLB. It certainly isn't new.

In extra innings, yeah. But I can't remember the last time I saw a position player pitch in the eighth. :laughing

It's very rare in extra innings, because teams are trying to win and a position player won't give you good odds for winning. It is most common in the 8th or 9th of a blowout, especially when the pen is already taxed.

I wrote a post about this last year and had the pitching stats for position players since 2000 I think it was. Their numbers aren't all that bad and managers need to do this more often to prevent wasting BP innings in blow out games.

Here is the link if you are interested

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30381&hilit

I agree with another poster in saying it is typically not extra innings. However, I was wrong about once or twice a month. It is usually about 5 times per year according to bref.

I thought I remembered the Yankees or Red Sox using a position player earlier this year.

I'm not opposed to using position players as pitchers to save the bullpen, but I think it's appropriate only when you won't hurt the team if the position player blows his arm out.

I would not use our backup (and sometimes starting) catcher. I would, however, be fine using Rickie Weeks.

Verified Member

I agree with another poster in saying it is typically not extra innings. However, I was wrong about once or twice a month. It is usually about 5 times per year according to bref.

I thought I remembered the Yankees or Red Sox using a position player earlier this year.

Huh. Maybe it's more of an AL thing, because I honestly don't remember seeing it very often, at least for the Brewers.

Community Moderator
As a young Brewers fan I remember reading a story in the game program about Molitor playing every position except pitcher and catcher which instantly made me root for him to get put in at pitcher for an inning.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

i remember Carlos Corporan having his first hit vs Paul Janish and i remember Cirillo as a Diamonback striking out Craig Counsell.

i read last Brewer position player to pitch was Inglett but i didn't recall the game at all

I'm not opposed to using position players as pitchers to save the bullpen, but I think it's appropriate only when you won't hurt the team if the position player blows his arm out.

I would not use our backup (and sometimes starting) catcher. I would, however, be fine using Rickie Weeks.

We're the Milwaukee Brewers. Our injuries usually involve salad tongs, pillows, suitcases, phone books, and cacti. Very rarely do they involve actual physical acts during a baseball game.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived