Brewer Fanatic

Welcome to National Exposure

Dead Simmons

ESPN and MLB TV will now be forced to reluctantly recognize this team. You may have noticed that LA, Boston, NY and now the Cards get all the coverage and telecasts. Too bad for Pittsburg as the Brews have pushed them back to the back page. Watch for their attendance to plummet again.

Congrats all. You have a contender once more. ;)

ESPN and MLB TV will now be forced to reluctantly recognize this team. You may have noticed that LA, Boston, NY and now the Cards get all the coverage and telecasts. Too bad for Pittsburg as the Brews have pushed them back to the back page. Watch for their attendance to plummet again.

Congrats all. You have a contender once more. ;)

Between Donald Sterling, the NFL draft, the NBA, NHL playoffs, and English Premier League soccer ESPN's baseball coverage outside of Baseball Tonight is limited to the Yankees and Red Sox. Maybe if Andy North starts showing up at games, the Brewers could get some coverage on the Golf Channel.

Down here in Australia there are about 4 games a week on ESPN and ESPN2. 2014, to date, NIL Brewers. The Yankees and Boston are on over 50% of the time. I kind of hoped when we played Boston or St Louis we may get show. But no. Even a couple of Cubs vs nobody were on.

If the Crew ever make it on the TV here, I will consider that a watershed. I think in 2013 they were on two times for the entire year. So, you are talking 4 game a week times 25 weeks = 100 games = 200 teams. The Brewers twice. In 2014, 5 weeks = 20 games = 40 teams... nil Milwaukee. And MLB TV does not quite work. But I love listening to Bob and Joe. I actually like Joe Block.

Even listening to the MLB 3 min daily coverage today, every game had 20 or 30 seconds and a couple of plays, or insight. Then came the Brewers... 'won today over the Cardinals'. That was it, 3 seconds.

But, if the East and West Coast are too inbred to pay attention, it is their loss. At least we found one open eyed and open minded Cardinal fan. That is nice!

Soup Town: Did you know that the game this afternoon will be shown on MLBTV? This would not have happened if the Brews had not created a compelling storyline by winning and facing their new darlings, my Cards, today.

I don't know if you get that channel down there, but if so, shoo the roos out of the living room and pull up a chair! ;)

Ya, I really don't think baseball is a national sport, it's more regional. What I mean by that is, baseball is a big sport, but it's big in its local market. Outside of that, there aren't too many teams or stories that people care about. Unless, of course, it has to do with PEDs. It's hard for us to judge, because most of us are hardcore baseball and Brewers fans, but I would say most people outside of WI will never care about the Brewers. Even if they didn't lose a game the rest of the season. I'm ok with that. I do wish the playoffs would grab more of a national audience, but unless it's one of the big teams, people just don't care outside of their region/team.

I love that we have the homer of all homers in Plesac on MLBN. He ended last night's MLB Tonight shouting the Brewers magic number.

Ha. Yes! That makes me smile. Obviously, MLBN does a good job of spreading the love....most of the time.

Ya, I really don't think baseball is a national sport, it's more regional. What I mean by that is, baseball is a big sport, but it's big in its local market. Outside of that, there aren't too many teams or stories that people care about. Unless, of course, it has to do with PEDs. It's hard for us to judge, because most of us are hardcore baseball and Brewers fans, but I would say most people outside of WI will never care about the Brewers. Even if they didn't lose a game the rest of the season. I'm ok with that. I do wish the playoffs would grab more of a national audience, but unless it's one of the big teams, people just don't care outside of their region/team.
This is of course, true. But for those in the know (and there are millions of us) it's still a big deal.

I'll tell you this: It was nice to watch a Brews victory recap without hearing the name Braun mentioned.

Yes, the TV side of MLBN does a pretty good job of "spreading the love" to all MLB teams. However, the same can not be said for the XM/Sirius side of things, especially their morning show "First Pitch". I think they spend 80% of their time talking about the Yankees. This morning was a good example. A guy called in talking about the A's and how incredible it is that they are able to compete almost every year with the payroll they work with. The guys on the show just tore into the caller, asking how many WS have the A's won compared to the Yankees and how Brian Cashman has a much tougher job than Billy Bean because of the expectations placed on him. My guess is that these guys could name the 2nd string catcher on NY's AA team, but would not be able to name the backup catcher for the Brewers MLB team (or KC, Pitt, Minn, etc).

Also, anyone ever listen to the Cards announcers. I can't stand their play by play guy, John Rooney. The other night I lost 620's signal while driving, so I switched to the XM broadcast which was the Cards announcers. Rooney kept pronouncing Gallardo just as it's spelled..Gal-are-do. Really? How long has Yo been on the Brewers? How many times has he faced the Cards? You still don't know how to pronounce his name?!?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

MLB Network has been a godsend. They are always willing to talk about whatever team they want and don't feel obligated to cover the big market teams only. If your team is hot they will devote a lot of time to that team. Some of the guys on there are certainly blowhards but they at least make an effort to cover teams not on the East Cost or in LA. I don't even bother trying to watch Baseball Tonight anymore.

Dead Simmons, why do you post here so much and in our game threads against you guys versus Cardinal boards recently? I don't mean that to be confrontational at all. You seem to be a very level-headed fan and I think I speak for just about everyone saying you're certainly welcome here and we're glad to have you. Just curious as to why you would prefer the virtual company of fans of a rival team versus your own. :)

Dead Simmons, why do you post here so much and in our game threads against you guys versus Cardinal boards recently? I don't mean that to be confrontational at all. You seem to be a very level-headed fan and I think I speak for just about everyone saying you're certainly welcome here and we're glad to have you. Just curious as to why you would prefer the virtual company of fans of a rival team versus your own. :)

Diplomacy/espionage. Be wary.

How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his kids? :devil

Egad! You have ferreted me out!

But no, the real reason is that I was becoming a bit of a pariah on "Cards Talk" forum with my straightforward criticism of Tony La Russa, and issues like using the entire bench in 9 innings and double-switching impact hitters out of the game, and much, much more.

The final straw for me was the re-hiring of Marc Mc Gwire to coach. I just could not STAND the support that bum got from that forum. But after 2 years I got the itch to post again, and the reemergence of the Brewers was what I wanted to talk about. So why not do it with people who care?

That's about it.

I just went over there to get a look at today's lineup and saw this post. Typical of the arrogance and sniping that goes on there. You might get a chuckle. http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1026482&sid=284c12661e60d57726cb78a6cf750562

I usually surf around gatewayredbirds.com when I am curious of their thoughts on things. It seems some are more level headed then others. Although, I suppose youll see that on any forum.

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu

Yes, the TV side of MLBN does a pretty good job of "spreading the love" to all MLB teams. However, the same can not be said for the XM/Sirius side of things, especially their morning show "First Pitch". I think they spend 80% of their time talking about the Yankees. This morning was a good example. A guy called in talking about the A's and how incredible it is that they are able to compete almost every year with the payroll they work with. The guys on the show just tore into the caller, asking how many WS have the A's won compared to the Yankees and how Brian Cashman has a much tougher job than Billy Bean because of the expectations placed on him. My guess is that these guys could name the 2nd string catcher on NY's AA team, but would not be able to name the backup catcher for the Brewers MLB team (or KC, Pitt, Minn, etc).

I noticed the MLB radio channel really declined after the XM/Sirius merger. I don't regret cancelling my subscription after reading stuff like your post.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived