Brewer Fanatic

Brewer bullpen on way to greatest season ever

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Dave Cameron at Fangraphs says our bullpen is on its way to being the best history - by more than double any other team:

At their current pace, the Brewers would amass almost +25 WPA (Win Probability Added) from their relievers; the 2012 Orioles were the first team to ever get past +12, and only 12 teams (out of 1,100) have managed to break +10.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-brewers-amazing-and-worrisome-bullpen/

It sure has been fun to watch.

When did Fangraphs articles become so consistently bad/pointless? I feel like it's been a few years now.

The bullpen for a team on pace to win 120 games, most of them by just 1-2 runs, is going to be historically valuable, and the Brewers bullpen probably won't end up doing that? Wow, thanks for the magical projections, Dave!

When did Fangraphs articles become so consistently bad/pointless? I feel like it's been a few years now.

The bullpen for a team on pace to win 120 games, most of them by just 1-2 runs, is going to be historically valuable, and the Brewers bullpen probably won't end up doing that? Wow, thanks for the magical projections, Dave!

It's an article putting into perspective how good the Brewers pen has been thus far this year. It's not Woodward and Bernstien, but not sure it's quite as bad as you and endaround are suggesting.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Here is another note on the Brewers bullpen from Baseball Prospectus before last night's game:

The Brewers’ relief corps entered the road series with a 2.36 aggregate ERA over 72 1/3 innings, during which it had walked only 17 and struck out 86. Add in Monday’s six clean frames, and that mark improves to 2.18. Subtract the six runs allowed in three innings by Rule 5 pick Wei-Chung Wang—who pitched the 2013 season in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and is on the roster as a long-term stash—and it would be a league-best 1.55.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Here is another note on the Brewers bullpen from Baseball Prospectus before last night's game:

The Brewers’ relief corps entered the road series with a 2.36 aggregate ERA over 72 1/3 innings, during which it had walked only 17 and struck out 86. Add in Monday’s six clean frames, and that mark improves to 2.18. Subtract the six runs allowed in three innings by Rule 5 pick Wei-Chung Wang—who pitched the 2013 season in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and is on the roster as a long-term stash—and it would be a league-best 1.55.

Then how do the 2 scoreless innings he's thrown factor into the numbers?

Then how do the 2 scoreless innings he's thrown factor into the numbers?

Wang has only pitched 3 innings total. He gave up 6 runs.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

K-Rod has far exceeded my expectations. Whatever it is about the guy, he succeeds in Milwaukee.

Will Smith was a fantastic addition. A guy who can be an elite LOOGY but he's not limited to being a LOOGY. I said a few weeks ago we probably should have held onto Aoki, I was wrong. Smith was well worth it, and they had it pegged with him all along.

Thornburg ironically might be pitching himself out of the rotation just because he's been so good in the pen, they're going to be hesitant to mess with it.

You know it's going good when you feel like Jim Henderson hasn't been very good with a 3.38 ERA just because you're comparing him to the rest of the pen.

Cameron is what he is, #6 org is still one of my favorite baseball jokes of all time. Classic homer overreaction to a fluke season. I love Jeff Sullivan though, his perspective on the game and writing style are right up my alley. The addition of Tony Blengino has also been superb. Love the way he breaks down and presents information. Plus I'm a big fan of the absurdity of the Notgraphs content.

Sooner or later Krod is going to come down to earth. We can't possible maintain having 3 relievers with an ERA; it just isn't possible.

When the inevitable blown save for Krod does happen everyone needs to breath and think back to this time.

Even though they won't stay this good; there is a tremendous amount of talent in the bullpen and it should continue to be a major asset throughout the year.

Archived