Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewers Roster News

RobDeer 45
Maybe. When seeing our roster (lineup) today I just thought: 'wow, no wonder we scored nil'. We really do a have a problem when our top 8 starters are not starting. Below them is a big problem.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One move that needs to be made now. Release Overbay (.125/.150/.125 in 40 ABs since April 30 with 13 Ks). Bring up Green who's opt out is approaching. Green's been solid after missing all of 2013, and is needed at 3B now.

Once Ramirez returns consider DFAing Bianchi who can't seem to hit his way out of a paper bag right now. He's defensively superior to Herrera but he needs to contribute something with the bat.

Sign Morales the day after the draft so the Reynolds experiment can end and they can get a much needed professional hitter in the lineup.

All of those sounds like pretty good moves to me. I would debate Morris vs. Green but Green being able to play 3rd is a big check mark by him. Once Ramirez comes back I would probably DFA Green for Morris though. I doubt that if we signed Morales the first absolute second we could that he would be ready to play. He would probably need a week or two in the minors. Bring up Morris so Morales can play 1st everyday at AAA for a bit. I have a feeling Reynolds is going to be on the team for the entire year regardless of what other 1st basemen may be brought in.

All of those sounds like pretty good moves to me. I would debate Morris vs. Green but Green being able to play 3rd is a big check mark by him. Once Ramirez comes back I would probably DFA Green for Morris though. I doubt that if we signed Morales the first absolute second we could that he would be ready to play. He would probably need a week or two in the minors. Bring up Morris so Morales can play 1st everyday at AAA for a bit. I have a feeling Reynolds is going to be on the team for the entire year regardless of what other 1st basemen may be brought in.

If Green does positive work, hold on to him. As for Morris, I'd be more inclined to go with Halton who's OBP is 50 points higher than Morris this year and who can also be an option in LF. Halton needs a 40 man spot but one could be created easily enough. Morales is considerably better as a LH hitter too, so you'd have some balance with Halton.

If all they were looking for is a temporary fill in at 3B, Pete Orr might do the trick too. He's got ML experience and is having a nice year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Taylor Green has been pretty mediocre at Nashville, but he is shaking off a year of not playing ball due to injury.

To be honest, he's not a great option, but Overbay really looks like he's done as a major leaguer, so I'd be fine with Green being brought up. Play a little 3B, a little 1B, pinch hit. Let's see how he can do.

I like Overbay, but he's not been a decent hitter for a few years. Time to move on.

Let's let Green sink or swim with the big club.

Overbay looks completely finished. Same with Bianchi. Bianchi was only kept around to play SS and backup the infield, but Herrera can do that and play other positions. Bianchi's bat is just absolutely brutal.

It's problematic because he's taking up a roster spot that could be used on someone that might actually pitch in a game that's not a complete blowout.

There is almost always a last guy in the pen who seldom pitches. Might as well be somebody like Wang.

Henderson will return at some point and Gorzelanny has dominated A ballers in two rehab stints. Barring an injury, sure you can send Wooten (who's been quite good) down but who else? Duke has been fine. Maybe they'll have a starter blowup very early, then stick Wang in there for like 90 pitches and have him complain of arm fatigue much the same way Burgos went down last year?

Green's AAA splits vs. RHP in 2014: .318/.361/.455. Not shabby by any means.

Orr's AAA spits vs. RHP: .299/.330/.471

Orr at soon to be 35 is disposable so as a very short term guy, he makes some sense. If you go with Green you need to be prepared to keep him up.

Neither guy is a world beater but at this point a .250/.320/.370 guy that can backup at 3rd and 1st would be an improvement.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How about we return Herrera to AAA, cut Overbay, then bring up Green and activate Gorzelanny.

We get another arm in the pen, have Green to backup 1B and 3B.

I guess you could keep Herrera and lose Bianchi, but I think Bianchi is a better player than Herrera - despite Herrera's ability to play OF and IF.

Yea, basically what I was thinking. IF they are intent on keeping Wang for now. Cut Overbay and Bianchi, send Wooten down. Activate Gorzelanny and Henderson (when he's ready), bring up Green. I wouldn't mind giving Morris or Halton a shot either, but would lean towards Green. Basically because he's reaching the point of "now or never."

Then when ARam comes back, you can send Green down. Or, if he's producing, time for another sore arm in the bullpen.

Yea, basically what I was thinking. IF they are intent on keeping Wang for now. Cut Overbay and Bianchi, send Wooten down. Activate Gorzelanny and Henderson (when he's ready), bring up Green. I wouldn't mind giving Morris or Halton a shot either, but would lean towards Green. Basically because he's reaching the point of "now or never."

Then when ARam comes back, you can send Green down. Or, if he's producing, time for another sore arm in the bullpen.

Does Green have any options left? Not sure he can be sent back down. He can play 1B too. Green is now up to .324/.365/.456 vs. RHP and he's only fanned 8 times in 68 ABs against them.

Wasn't one of the main reasons for keeping Overbay because of his supposed great defense? Reynolds has been excellent on the field and Overbay has provided virtually nothing. Green would at least provide a better bat and more versatility - he can play 3 IF spots. He also has options remaining if the contract is purchased and could be sent down if we need space.

IMO. Overbay and Bianchi are providing virtually nothing to this club.

Is it time to send Davis down to work on his swing? Kinda like the Cards did with Wong. Send him down for a couple of weeks and let him work the kinks out

He bought himself another series with 2 for 4 and a HR last night. They should go more to a platoon though. Numbers don't reflect it but Schafer has had some decent AB's lately including a double off a lefty on Sunday breaking up a no hitter.

I don't think Davis should be sent down or platooned. At least not yet. His spilts last year were VERY close. This year there is a wide gap, but it's just too early. Overall, he was at .949 last year, .649 this year. IF the truth is in the middle, I'll take it. They dealt Aoki and moved Braun to give Davis a chance to play FT, we need to give him at least until the All Star break.

Davis, like Segura, has shown signs of being a better hitter than he has been this season. Segura was red hot 1st half last year, then really cooled down until recently. Both need to adjust as opposing pitchers have adjusted. Only way to cure that is ABs. Especially since platooning with Schafer isn't exactly adding a whole lot. Schafer is the ideal backup OF. Very good defense, can play all 3 positions, PH against RHP, and late game defensive replacement.

RR finally did what I've been suggesting for a couple weeks now. Play Lucroy and Maldy together. PlayWeeks when he's hot. Beyond that, we need patience. If a bat is still needed a month from now, there is Morales and maybe a bat in LF can be acquired if Davis is still struggling.

It's not impossible that ARam, Segura, and Davis can all heat up. If that happens along with Braun, Gomez, Lucroy the offense suddenly looks much better.

I was interested in the start of year chat that Mark and Doug gave the team. They pretty much said 'it is up to you guys; you are the players; how you perform will determine our year'

I think they need a reminder of that short chat. There is nothing too much different from week to week (aside from a DL here and there). It is up to the players.

Archived