Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewers Roster News

RobDeer 45

Sounds to me like Reynolds is playing RF tonight. Why not just keep Herrera and put Braun on the DL? Or better, dump Rickie Weeks.

And I'm sorry but Herrera is better than Weeks. They both bring not much to the table offensively (though Herrera is quite fast), but Herrera can play 5 different positions - that's valuable. Weeks can play 1, and he plays it poorly at that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Herrera's versatility and the fact he's a switch hitter makes him more valuable than Weeks. In Weeks defense he's been making better contact of late. Still I don't think we are going to suddenly see a power surge from him playing about once a week. If the plan is to put Braun on the DL to make room for Schafer on Saturday, then why not just do it now and send down Herrera a couple days from now? What about Garza? Will he make his next start or will they recall Fiers?

Brewers are really making matters worse by demoting Herrera is you ask me.

Reynolds is going to the starting RF, Overbay starting 1B, and Ramirez the starting 3B. If any of those 3 gets hurt during the course of the game there is literally no one that can sub assuming Braun simply can't go. Your only option is throwing a pitcher somewhere; asking Weeks to play in RF, or perhaps throwing Maldy at 1st and making adjustments as necessary. None of those are good options. I would have rather DL's Braun or simply stood pat. Thornburg, Smith, , Krod, and Kintzler all got the day off yesterday so the bullpen isn't in that bad of shape unless Estrada goes like 3 innings or you go into extra frames.

Brewers are really making matters worse by demoting Herrera is you ask me.

Reynolds is going to the starting RF, Overbay starting 1B, and Ramirez the starting 3B. If any of those 3 gets hurt during the course of the game there is literally no one that can sub assuming Braun simply can't go. Your only option is throwing a pitcher somewhere; asking Weeks to play in RF, or perhaps throwing Maldy at 1st and making adjustments as necessary. None of those are good options. I would have rather DL's Braun or simply stood pat. Thornburg, Smith, , Krod, and Kintzler all got the day off yesterday so the bullpen isn't in that bad of shape unless Estrada goes like 3 innings or you go into extra frames.

I think Bianchi could handle 3b and RF if need be. He played LF I think a few games at least. And he can play SS, might not have the arm for 3b, but I'm sure he could handle it in an emergency. Maldonado/Lucroy could also handle 1b if necessary.

Not saying it's a good thing and I completely disagree with the move, but they do have options.

i remember being at county stadium in the extra-inning game that had ricky bones (pitcher) playing right field. it was game two of a doubleheader (and worth sharing in another thread devoted to awesome brewers memories).

p.s. the brewers won both games.

And I'm sorry but Herrera is better than Weeks. They both bring not much to the table offensively (though Herrera is quite fast), but Herrera can play 5 different positions - that's valuable. Weeks can play 1, and he plays it poorly at that.

Agree with you on Weeks, but after seeing Herrera in action, I think any pitcher other than Garza would have been a better option to start in RF than Herrera. If "able to play five positions" simply means being able to don a different glove and stand in a spot normally occupied by someone with a clue, then Herrera is able to play five positions. There's a reason players don't go all over the field. Anyone can play any position, but they can't play every position at the major league level.

As to today's move, it takes away a position player, when they're already short-handed and are insistent about holding on to Weeks. Injuries have showcased how goofy it was to start the year with such an inflexible (position-wise) roster. What they're stuck with right now is ridiculous.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well, at least the Brewers have 3 OF on their roster who can actually play...something they've waited about 1 week to finally do.

I'm assuming this means they fully expect to put Braun on the DL once Schafer's ready to come off on Saturday - at least we got to see Herrera and Reynolds play OF

My bet is Gindl will start today and if he has a bright game will get another start on Saturday. He will then be replaced by Schafer on the roster. Braun will be kept on the team as a decoy for a few more days. Then if Braun is not ready, he will DL and a reliever will be called up for few days. Then at the end of Braun's DL, said reliever will be sent back. But in those few days the pen is rested/spread out, Braun comes back and we are all OK again.

When Henderson is ready in a couple of weeks he comes back all rested for Wooten, I guess.

I will be pretty happy if Davis is platooned for a while with Gindl/Schafer.

What will really disappoint me is if Braun spends, say 10 days sidelined, no DL, comes back on day 11, and we had 10 days we could have had, say Figaro. But my feeling is Ron is little more proactive this year. So I expect, in a day or three for Braun to play or go on the DL for his last week of rest. I think our next 8 years of Ryan are going to be of the 120 games a year variety. Without his 'help' to cover the niggles, we do have a brittle guy. But a good 120 games is better than nothing.

What will really disappoint me is if Braun spends, say 10 days sidelined, no DL, comes back on day 11, and we had 10 days we could have had, say Figaro.

I would rather have Braun for 5 games and 1 less reliever for 10 games than Figaro for 15

• 2 weeks later...

ryan braun activated from the 15-day disabled list; aramis ramirez placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to 11 may.

elian herrera recalled from triple-a; caleb gindl optioned. gindl must remain at triple-a for a minimum of ten days unless replacing an injured player.

Why is a healthy Braun removed in the 7th inning? Obviously he is not 100%. And he said as much a couple days ago 'it is getting better day by day'. He does not say 'better'. He says 'improving'.

So, we have Brittle Braun. Thumb... Ribs. One can almost understand why some players need faster healing assistance. As one poster said somewhere. We must consider Braun a 120 game a year player. We need to coddle him in spring training. Heck. Give him NO spring training. Put him on the DL every year wrapped around the all star break. And likely a MAY DL yearly as well. Hmmmm, what about late August.

gee. isn't this and last years thumb injuries the first of Braun's career? I know people think the worst because of the steroids but he is 30 and the odds are against any player playing their entire career with no DL stays. See what happens the rest of the year before you right him off. I think he is one of the most talented players in baseball and the Brewers will need him before the season is over.

in a perfect world when Gorzo comes back WCW is the player that is removed off of the 25 man roster, but I doubt that would happen. I have no clue who would be taken off of the roster. Duke and Smith has proven that they belong on the roster and I can't see having 4 lefties in the pen (even if one never plays). I guess Wooten could go back to AAA, but once Henderson returns you have the same issue.

in a perfect world when Gorzo comes back WCW is the player that is removed off of the 25 man roster, but I doubt that would happen. I have no clue who would be taken off of the roster. Duke and Smith has proven that they belong on the roster and I can't see having 4 lefties in the pen (even if one never plays). I guess Wooten could go back to AAA, but once Henderson returns you have the same issue.

Yeah, this is all true...but there's still quite a bit of time between now and then. Other guys could get hurt, become much less effective, etc. If everyone is healthy and pitching well, then keeping Wang does provide a pretty big problem.

A Wang fake DL stint will occur at some point.

he's going to pull a muscle from wang chunging too hard

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It's problematic because he's taking up a roster spot that could be used on someone that might actually pitch in a game that's not a complete blowout.

We need him to get through May and then hopefully land on the DL. If he makes it through May, he'll have 60 days service time and can get a bunch more in September to hit the minimum 90 days.

It's problematic because he's taking up a roster spot that could be used on someone that might actually pitch in a game that's not a complete blowout.

There is almost always a last guy in the pen who seldom pitches. Might as well be somebody like Wang.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why is a healthy Braun removed in the 7th inning? Obviously he is not 100%. And he said as much a couple days ago 'it is getting better day by day'. He does not say 'better'. He says 'improving'.

Of course he's not 100%. Very few guys coming off the DL are "100%." But he's healthy enough to play. Besides, it sounds like he was just pulled so that he wouldn't be overworked.

Also...

im·prove

imˈpro͞ov/

verb

make or become better.

Archived