Brewer Fanatic

2014-04-28 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cardinals (Wacha), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers win, 5-3, 12 innings]

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no statistical data to back this up, but it seems to me like part of Gallardo's evolution as a pitcher has been adjusting to an increasing inability to miss bats with two strikes. He can still throw good pitches with two strikes, but his stuff doesn't seem to move as much as in his best years.

I don't mean that as a complaint, but I'd love to see a FanGraphs style breakdown of his Whiff% with two strikes throughout his career.

Nice to get out of that inning. Give him something, boys. At least cut out the double plays.

I have no statistical data to back this up, but it seems to me like part of Gallardo's evolution as a pitcher has been adjusting to an increasing inability to miss bats with two strikes. He can still throw good pitches with two strikes, but his stuff doesn't seem to move as much as in his best years.

I don't mean that as a complaint, but I'd love to see a FanGraphs style breakdown of his Whiff% with two strikes throughout his career.

Nice to get out of that inning. Give him something, boys. At least cut out the double plays.

I don't offer as much completely unnecessary filler/padding/rambling as your typical Fangraphs articles, but here you go!

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=8173&position=P&season=0&split=7.11

Not a neat trend, but seems like you're generally right that he's not quite as effective 0-2 as he once was.

This team is so bad at the fundamentals it's infuriating. Consistently can't get bunts down or move runners over and it looks like it's going to hurt us big time in this game.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived