Brewer Fanatic

2014-04-26 Cubs (Wood) at Brewers (Estrada), 6:10 PM CDT

Dead Simmons

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FSN WI just showed video of it. Braun got him in the back of the head with the weighted bat while he was standing at the top of the dugout

:embarrassed

That's one of the few advantages of Yuni. Hit him in the head with a bat and he probably wouldn't even notice.

Interesting hypothetical: If Segura ends up missing an extended period of time, do the Brewers consider signing Stephen Drew to fill in? I don't think Bianchi is an adequate everyday starter, and obviously there's nobody at Nashville (temporarily moving Scooter seems pretty far-fetched too).

One reason it might make sense is that they could then just go all in and sign Kendrys Morales too, thereby losing their first-round pick but getting two players in return.

Interesting hypothetical: If Segura ends up missing an extended period of time, do the Brewers consider signing Stephen Drew to fill in? I don't think Bianchi is an adequate everyday starter, and obviously there's nobody at Nashville (temporarily moving Scooter seems pretty far-fetched too).

One reason it might make sense is that they could then just go all in and sign Kendrys Morales too, thereby losing their first-round pick but getting two players in return.

Please no to Kendry Morales and losing the 1st round pick. Despite the success this year, the Brewers still need that pick.

Please no to Kendry Morales and losing the 1st round pick. Despite the success this year, the Brewers still need that pick.

Drew and Morales both cost a pick though, so after signing Drew they could add Morales without the same penalty (I don't remember if second round picks are still lost too under new rules)

Big pitch count for Wood. 65+ thru 3. Good

You said "big" and "wood".... sorry beavis and butthead will forever exist in my head

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Drew and Morales both cost a pick though, so after signing Drew they could add Morales without the same penalty (I don't remember if second round picks are still lost too under new rules)

I think they might lose both their first-round and second-round picks, but basically the plan would be to sign Drew to a one-year deal (which he would gladly accept to get a better multi-year offer next season), and try to get Morales on a cheap multi-year deal.

You get an imposing lineup of:

CF Gomez

C Lucroy

RF Braun

3B Ramirez

1B Morales

SS Drew

2B Gennett

LF Davis

You get an excellent backup/bench bat once Segura returns, and you get some late-season insurance in case Gennett starts to struggle. (Could even try Drew in the outfield if Davis doesn't heat up).

I would gladly give up the picks given how good the team looks this season. No reason not to strike now.

I get your concern about Bianchi getting fulltime duty if Segura went on the 15 day DL (if that's all it was - 15 or so days), but I think Bianchi could handle it for 15 days. I would hate to give up a top 15 pick for an emergency option at SS; assuming, of course, the Segura would be out for 3 weeks and not the entire year.

Heck, even if it were the entire year I'm not sure how I'd feel about losing that pick. I know the draft can be hit or miss, but that's still a high first round pick for a player who may or may not make a huge difference.

I get your concern about Bianchi getting fulltime duty if Segura went on the 15 day DL (if that's all it was - 15 or so days), but I think Bianchi could handle it for 15 days. I would hate to give up a top 15 pick for an emergency option at SS; assuming, of course, the Segura would be out for 3 weeks and not the entire year.

Heck, even if it were the entire year I'm not sure how I'd feel about losing that pick. I know the draft can be hit or miss, but that's still a high first round pick for a player who may or may not make a huge difference.

It sounds like he might actually be ok and not miss much time, making it moot. I was thinking more of the scenario where he has a broken jaw or something and is out two months.

I have come around to the lohse signing for a first round pick but I couldn't see a situation where you could justify giving their pick up for an average hitting DH or a SS every one else has passed over. I think our pitching is good enough that we could sustain a few major injuries from everyday players and be ok. The expanded stats suggest we will start scoring a lot more runs soon.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Archived