Brewer Fanatic

Bench Upgrade

5. Khris Davis has a K-BB ratio of 31-1 and lines of .203/.236/.377/.613 vs RHP and .375/.375/.583/.958 vs LHP. That is the definition of a platoon player. Sure he could turn it around but he's looked overmatched at the plate striking out 7 out of his last 10 times. Why continue to hurt a guys confidence when he's obviously pressing?

6. Caleb Gindl is hitting .322/.394/.525/.919 vs RHP in AAA and the next 5 starters are all right handed.

Khris Davis also hit .297/.369/.549 vs RHP in a larger sample last season. We're still early enough in 2014 that those splits you provided might just be based on the specific identity of the handful of RHP vs. LHP that he's seen.

What would hurt his confidence would be to start treating him like a platoon player when he's proven he at least has the ability to mash both LHP and RHP equally well. He's already starting to heat up. OPS is about 140 points higher in the second half of 2014 versus the first half of 2014 (so far).

Lucroy didn't jump from AA to the majors. He played more games in AAA than in AA that year. He played a full season in AA the year before and would have been in AAA but we needed to put Salome there. Granted it was a pretty quick call up. I doubt they would have normally called him up that quickly but he wasn't called up from AA.

Thanks for correcting me there. I remember Lucroy starting that year in AA and getting the call to the majors shortly there after.

Yeah he did start in AA that year but in most other years he would have started in AAA.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Khris Davis had 11BB/34K in 153PA last year...After 101PA he is 32/1 K rate and pressing...what is the difference this year? He is reaching and chasing when he doesn't have to...but he still connects on occasion...

There is a whole thread about Davis in the MLB forum. Linky

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

LOL Holy captain overreaction

Couple points

1. Lucroy jumped from AA to the pros. That comparison is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

What of it? You tried to argue that because in a small sample size that Schafer couldn't hit. I'm simply pointing out that Lucroy also didn't hit very well in his first 2 seasons(his first season in particular).

Not to mention that Lucroy had a BABIP of .287 and .317 in his first two years whereas Schafer was at .253. The comparision is only ridiculous because it contradicts your myths.

2. If Schafer could hit .270/.330 I wouldn't have a single problem with him. Every respectable publication has him slated for a .240/290 line tho.

And what "respectable publications," are you referring to? The ones that take a players prior Major League experience and then project what a player may do the following year? Yeah, that's not flawed. "I don't think Schafer is good because in 340 PA's he had a low BA driven by a low BABIP and the projections that use a players past major league performance say the same thing." You realize every "respectable," publication had Lucroy with a very poor BA after his first season as well, when again, his BABIP was nearly 40 points higher?

3. My idea was to replace Bianchi with Gindl because we already have Herrera to backup at SS/CF. Herrera is already on the roster and would just stay here when Schafer was eligible to return off the DL.

Yes, I know that's your idea. I think think it's foolish to take our backup SS and go with a guy who has played VERY little SS in his career. Especially when our current SS is hurt.

4. Maldonado and Herrera take out all 3 of your bench needs allowing you to carry 3 possible platoons (1B/2B/LF).

No...no they do not. Maldonado is a backup catcher and Herrera is a bad backup everything.

5. Khris Davis has a K-BB ratio of 31-1 and lines of .203/.236/.377/.613 vs RHP and .375/.375/.583/.958 vs LHP. That is the definition of a platoon player. Sure he could turn it around but he's looked overmatched at the plate striking out 7 out of his last 10 times. Why continue to hurt a guys confidence when he's obviously pressing?

Good point. We DEFINITELY should have platooned Prince when he struck out 7 times in his first 9 AB's in 2006. Sample size, smaple size, right!

6. Caleb Gindl is hitting .322/.394/.525/.919 vs RHP in AAA and the next 5 starters are all right handed.

You do realize this is the minor leagues we're talking about and NOT the major leagues? I'm curious, why does Gindl's minor league performance mean so much, but you're so flippant to dismiss Schafers?

7. Braun is hurt.

The sky is blue. I'm not sure what we're doing here other than just stating basic facts at this point. This doesn't mean you dump Bianchi and Schafer. Herrera, sure.

So in the meantime while were beaten up with injuries would you rather start Bianchi and Herrera at SS and RF or Herrera and Gindl at SS and RF? Thats what my point is about. Going forward if Khris Davis proves he can hit RHP at a non Yuni level then you can swap Gindl back out with Schafer.

A-I'd rather start a SHORTSTOP at shortstop than Herrera. That's just a given on the bench. Always keep a utility IF'er, but the one position he should be able to really be able to play is SS. Herrera has played THREE INNINGS at SS in his major league career and just 62 of his 705 major league games behind the plate.

B-How exactly is Davis going to prove he can hit Right Handers...if he is a platoon player?

You think we should bring up Gindl, that's fine. Send Braun to the DL so he can fully recover. But you don't dump your top bench players in the OF and the IF for inferior players. Especially Herrera.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I still don't get why you're comparing Lucroy who played all of 21 games in AAA to Schafer who had over 700 PA's in AAA before making the everyday roster. Schafer is more comparable to Mat Gamel and Brad Nelson who had a ton of PA's in AAA but just couldn't hit in the pros (aka AAAA guys).

You asked me why I respect Gindl's numbers in the minors but dismiss Schafers? It's because Gindl has hit in the majors to a respectable .340 OBP and .779 OPS.

And were you really bringing up 9 AB's Prince Fielder had from 2006 to prove your point? I should just ignore you for that.

@WiscoSportsNut

Schafer is more comparable to Mat Gamel and Brad Nelson who had a ton of PA's in AAA but just couldn't hit in the pros (aka AAAA guys).

But Schafer can play good defense, which Gamel and Nelson could not do. He's on this year's roster over Gindl because we have platoons at 1B and 2B, leaving room for only one backup OF. That means the player has to be able to play all three OF positions, which Schafer can do and Gindl cannot. I'd personally rather keep five OF (Braun, Gomez, Davis, Gindl, Schafer) and dump Weeks or Overbay. That way, Gindl and Davis could both play LF, and Braun could get some days off, which his old-before-it's-time body seems to need.

I will agree with H&T that we need a utility IF who can play SS, and that after watching Herrera play defense, he shouldn't be on the MLB roster. I'd rather have a guy who struggles at the plate, but plays good defense at SS, 2B and 3B than a guy who also struggles at the plate, while playing bad defense at SS, 2B, 3B and OF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I still don't get why you're comparing Lucroy who played all of 21 games in AAA to Schafer who had over 700 PA's in AAA before making the everyday roster. Schafer is more comparable to Mat Gamel and Brad Nelson who had a ton of PA's in AAA but just couldn't hit in the pros (aka AAAA guys).

You asked me why I respect Gindl's numbers in the minors but dismiss Schafers? It's because Gindl has hit in the majors to a respectable .340 OBP and .779 OPS.

And were you really bringing up 9 AB's Prince Fielder had from 2006 to prove your point? I should just ignore you for that.

I'm bringing up Lucroy to make a point. That using a small sample size and saying, "this guy can't hit," is asinine.

And no, Schafer is NOT more comparable to Gamel(who by the way I believe would have been a very good big league hitter has his career not been derailed by back to back season ending ACL injuries) or Brad Nelson. Nevermind the fact that Schafer is a plus defender in CF(as well as LF and RF) whereas the other two were awful defenders anywhere other than 1st base. And since we're talking about bench players, I'm not sure how either are the least bit comparable to a guy who can come in and play very good defense at all three OF spots.

And to the bolded part, I guess you're just not getting the point. You think Khris Davis should be platooned because despite mashing right handers last year, he's struggled in limited AB's this year.

It was a factious comment based on how obtuse you are regarding incredibly small sample sizes.

I'm still baffled as to why you believe that Herrera should be our SS when Segura is out or our CF'er when Gomez is out when he has very limited PT at either position.

What about a trade with the D Backs for Cliff Pennington? He has a reasonable contract and it looks like Arizona may be out of it early. Switch hitter that can play three infield position. Good fielder and hits about .250. Sounds like Craig Counsell. He makes about 2.5 mill this year.

What would it take to get him at the end of June/early July?

What about a trade with the D Backs for Cliff Pennington? He has a reasonable contract and it looks like Arizona may be out of it early. Switch hitter that can play three infield position. Good fielder and hits about .250. Sounds like Craig Counsell. He makes about 2.5 mill this year.

Pennington isn't much of an upgrade over what the Brewers already have on the bench. I will pass on Pennington.

Pennington isn't much of an upgrade over what the Brewers already have on the bench. I will pass on Pennington.

Pennington Career OPS+ 83

Bianchi Career OPS+ 50

Jeff is a terrible hitter. Pennington isn't a good hitter either, but he's an upgrade over Bianchi.

Bianchi, while great defensively, can be upgraded. It really is surprising that it hasn't already happened.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anyone think that once the D-Backs fully feel that they are out of it we could call about Eric Chavez? See if he can play some 1B as well.

They seem to have a few players that could help out the Brewers roster. Chavez is one who could help at the IF corners on a limited basis and Prado another.

I was watching the Rays yesterday and I think Matt Joyce would be a decent pickup, could platoon him with Davis and have a 850 - 900 OPS player in left field every game. I guess the Rays wanted Ike Davis for Joyce in the off season but the Mets rejected so maybe would not take much with the Rays season going downhill.

• 2 months later...

How about Grady Sizemore and Reid Brignac? Sizemore has been killing it since he joined the Phillies and Brignac just came off the DL but was raking RHP before getting hurt (albeit in a small sample size).

Brignac vs RHP - .293/.369/.466/.835

Sizemore since joining the Phillies - .379/.419/.448/.868

These guys wouldn't fix our 1st base problem but they'd make our lineup very versatile top to bottom against right handed and left handed pitching. Plus you could still acquire someone like Adam Dunn at the waiver deadline as an improvement over Overbay.

@WiscoSportsNut

If the Marlins start to fall out of the race without Fernandez, I'd ask about Garrett Jones as well.

I would support a trade for G.I. Jones

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

If he proves to be healthy, Bonafacio of the Cubs would be a good utility IF/OF bench option...heard there were scouts from 11 teams watching the Cubs/Padres game - two teams bound to be sellers through the deadline so I'm sure they all weren't there to see Bonafacio only, but I'm sure that he'll be traded.

Will the Cubs trade inside the division? Will they ask for more from a team inside the Division.

I think the Cubs are more than one season away, so I don't think they should put too much of a premium price to division teams. In fact, they should help out the division rivals to a better record,, which will mean that much lower a draft pick in the future.

Archived