Brewer Fanatic

Daniel Nava

Think the Red Sox would deal Nava? He's 31 years old and despite his slow start this year had a very solid year last year and has big game and playoff experience. Still a "veteran presence" that RR wants

Looking for an upgrade over Overbay. Nava can play OF as well as 1B. He's a switch-hitter, OBP has been consistently 90-100 points over his BA. Career .284 BA/.380 OBP vs RHP

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Overbay is just heating up. Played well over the last couple weeks.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I just can't see Melvin pulling the trigger on a deal (even if we hand over nothing) for a veteran guy to just be a slight/somewhat upgrade on Overbay. Overbay would have to be quite a bit less than .400OBP/.700OPS line that he is putting up now. Just doesn't seem his style.

I can see Melvin making the deal for a lefty bat-1B that would be in the plans to be "Overbay" this year and would project to be the full-time starter at 1B next year.

I have no idea if Nava would fall in the latter category.

I just can't see Melvin pulling the trigger on a deal (even if we hand over nothing) for a veteran guy to just be a slight/somewhat upgrade on Overbay. Overbay would have to be quite a bit less than .400OBP/.700OPS line that he is putting up now. Just doesn't seem his style.

I can see Melvin making the deal for a lefty bat-1B that would be in the plans to be "Overbay" this year and would project to be the full-time starter at 1B next year.

I have no idea if Nava would fall in the latter category.

I don't know how tied to Overbay Melvin really is. He basically just picked him up to try and make the best of a terrible situation at 1st base.

Nava on the other hand could be a significant upgrade over not only Overbay, but to our overall team depth. Carp is another guy who could be a nice addition.

I just wonder how enthusiastic the Red Sox would be to part with either given that they're great platoon partners with Gomes and you still are relying on Sizemore to stay healthy and contribute all year long.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Nava's in Triple A right now so it seems like they are not totally in love with him.

Not sure where I ever intimated or even suggested that the Red Sox were "in love with him." I simply asked how enthusiastic they would be to part with Carp in particular, but also Nava as they're very good platoon players, and they're relying on Grady Sizemore to stay healthy all year long.

In fact SI.com literally just had an article today about how long Sizemore's leash was going to be as he's struggled badly as of late, and they write about the possibility of cutting ties with Sizemore in favor of Nava and Carp.

The Red Sox are going to have to figure out their OF solution and sending Nava down only made sense as he was the only one with an option remaining. That may very well make him available, but I think it's just as likely he is back on the 25 man if Sizemore, who cannot play CF any longer, continues to struggle.

It just goes to show you how destiny must work. Because 2013 Boston got production out of Nava better than Nava gave at AAA in his career. Carp was great. Stephen Drew played so well he's unable to play this year due to declining the QO he's not worthy of. Boston's staff outpitched beyond their ability....Just no way do I still believe the Red Sox were a 97 win team...heck I wouldn't have believed 87 wins last year.

And I look over the Boston team and wonderment from them, and I get that feeling seeing this unfold for Milwaukee thus far this year. My word I hope it turns true! Destiny 2014 Brewers Champs.

It just goes to show you how destiny must work. Because 2013 Boston got production out of Nava better than Nava gave at AAA in his career. Carp was great. Stephen Drew played so well he's unable to play this year due to declining the QO he's not worthy of. Boston's staff outpitched beyond their ability....Just no way do I still believe the Red Sox were a 97 win team...heck I wouldn't have believed 87 wins last year.

And I look over the Boston team and wonderment from them, and I get that feeling seeing this unfold for Milwaukee thus far this year. My word I hope it turns true! Destiny 2014 Brewers Champs.

Do you know how long that could satisfy me as a Brewers fan? It's not like the Packers where they win a Super Bowl and I'm instantly looking at the next year and thinking if they can build a dynasty like I did in 2010. I think 1 WS might be enough for me to be happy for the rest of my life!

Archived