Brewer Fanatic

The Scuffling Cardinals

Dead Simmons
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cardinals have sent down Kolten Wong.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10852100/st-louis-cardinals-ship-kolten-wong-minors

He was hitting .225. Mark Ellis is now the 2B.

My initial reaction is that it's a pretty quick hook on Wong. But I haven't seen the guy play lately, so maybe the team just feels he's not clicking. Ellis is a solid guy - nothing special, but solid.

They also sent down reserve OF Shane Robinson - who's only had 20 ABs.

If you think April was good May will be good also. Lead just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I've watch both teams and the Brewers offense hasn't even gotten going yet.

Do you expect K-Rod to be perfect all year? Do you expect the bullpen to hold opponents to a .198 batting average year? Do you expect Estrada, Gallardo, Peralta and Lohse to be able to hold down respective ERA's of 2.87, 1.42, 2.56 and 2.38?

Baseball is a game of peaks and valleys. We're at a peak right now. We'll hit a valley or two somewhere during the season. It's going great right now, enjoy it. It's not going to go this way all year, and how we rebound from it will say a lot more than what we are doing righ tnow.

Last April 27th, the Rockies led the NL West and had a 3.5 game lead over the Dodgers. The Dodgers ended up 18 games ahead of them on the last day of the season. Texas led Oakland by 3.5 games and ended up 5.5 behind on the last day of the season. Kansas City had a game up on the Tigers and lost to them by 7 games.

Could we win the division, sure we could. But talking about the race being over with 137 games left to play is crazy.

Yes.

Dude, enough. Ever since post #54 the Brewers have been dropping like flies.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I gotta say I thought that was the general consensus among Packer fans as I heard it so often from friends and family and heard it even more after they lost in the first round. And last year wasn't the first time I'd heard people say that. I thought it was pretty stupid to say that but I see posters say that here about the Brewers too.

There were 80k+ of my closest friends and I braving zero degree temperatures that disagree that the Packers couldn't have won the SB. ;) With their defense they weren't favorites, but I'd say they were about the 4th best (behind Seahawks, 49ers and Broncos).

I did concern with some people on whether it was wise for Rodgers to return or go on IR; Basically questioning if he was fully recovered or not. But the Bear fan that watched the final game of the season with me will attest that I wasn't cheering for the Packers to lose...

If you are in the NBA, there are some VERY good reasons why you would rather be the 9th seed (out of playoffs, in the lottery) than the 8th seed (in the playoffs). The NBA has 4-5 VERY good teams and then the rest. The chance of getting the #1 pick is worth missing the playoffs for a one and done.

But in the MLB and NFL, a team getting hot at the end of the season (especially when you have good pitching or a good QB) can easily run the table and win the SB. Wildcards don't do it often, but its enough to be a realistic chance.

Plus the intangible benefits to the NFL/MLB playoffs is greater than increasing your draft pick by one spot. The revenue of the playoff game, the experience for the team, plus it makes the team more desireable to the players if you make the playoffs often.

The Brewers haven't been dropping like flies. Also, the Brewers offense hasn't even gotten going yet. When they do be prepared to be shocked.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The Brewers haven't been dropping like flies. Also, the Brewers offense hasn't even gotten going yet. When they do be prepared to be shocked.
Hitting won't be an issue Prince. If that shut down relief keeps this up I don't see anybody catching you. If the Cards don't make some moves to shore up theirs I can see Milwaukee going wire to wire.

Hitting won't be an issue Prince. If that shut down relief keeps this up I don't see anybody catching you. If the Cards don't make some moves to shore up theirs I can see Milwaukee going wire to wire.

I predicted the Brewers to win the WS this year and be a contender. Looking pretty good right now.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Cardinals have sent down Kolten Wong.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10852100/st-louis-cardinals-ship-kolten-wong-minors

He was hitting .225. Mark Ellis is now the 2B.

My initial reaction is that it's a pretty quick hook on Wong. But I haven't seen the guy play lately, so maybe the team just feels he's not clicking. Ellis is a solid guy - nothing special, but solid.

They also sent down reserve OF Shane Robinson - who's only had 20 ABs.

If the Cards were winning Wong would have stayed. By virtue of his defense he could play on any team in tha majors, but he wasn't hitting so they sent him to Memphis to work out of it.

Sending Shane down was a mistake. He and Bourjos can BOTH out play Jon Jay and are the two fastest men on the team. But they're paying Jay a multi-year contract and couldn't move him. It will continue to be a problem. You might have noticed that Jay can't hit and can't run down very much in CF. :rolleyes

Where are the Cardinals in terms of payroll? Just out of curiosity because they may need to add a bat in their lineup and was wondering if they had the means or would be willing to do that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Where are the Cardinals in terms of payroll? Just out of curiosity because they may need to add a bat in their lineup and was wondering if they had the means or would be willing to do that.

Getting rid of Pujols freed up plenty. They have lots of payroll left.

The blame for this loss goes back to the middle relief. How, you must ask as they shut the Brews down for 6 innings? It was the fear of going to the pen that made Matheny leave in Watcha too long. He should not have even come OUT for the 7th. They were getting to him and his pitch count was up in the 6th!

Braun out with an oblique. Segura hit in the head. Ramirez day to day with an elbow. Yes they have.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Braun out with an oblique. Segura hit in the head. Ramirez day to day with an elbow. Yes they have.

I thought you meant in the standings.. LOL.. oops! Still didn't matter yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Cards top line pitching is still very strong, but perhaps not as deep as in past years and who would have guessed their most reliable reliever would be Pat Neshek?

Yadi can't help but wear down as the season progresses now that he's in his 30's too. It's not like he's ever been a fitness poster boy.

17 runs surrendered last night, and 4-6 in their last ten games. the brewers are 4-6 in their last ten as well, so it's good that when they're scuffling, so are the brewers.
That game was hard to watch. Matheny has not yet learned when to take out a struggling starter. Lyons was being rocked, walking and hitting guys too, giving up 7 by the 2nd, but he stayed in 'till the 5th.

The entire bench was decimated and utility man Descalso ended up on the mound! In the post game interview Daniel was grim. It was clear that he didn't like having to do that.

I swear I hate playing the Cubs. They can't wait to beat us! So the Cards lose the Pirate series and will certainly lose this one as well. When do we play the D-Backs? :(

Cards continue to be ranked towards the bottom of the league in team HR, SLG, and OPS...They definitely have enough pitching to win many more than they lose, but at some point they need to start scoring runs.

Adams off to a very good start this year, but only 4 BB in 146AB. Craig has been slow to get going this year...seems like he explodes for a game or two and then nothing for a week. Peralta has 1/3 of their team's HR.

I would think Taveras will be getting the call at soon this season, and if there are bats with some pop on the market come trade deadline time they definitely have the minor league ammo to improve their club without mortgaging the future.

Cards continue to be ranked towards the bottom of the league in team HR, SLG, and OPS...They definitely have enough pitching to win many more than they lose, but at some point they need to start scoring runs.

Adams off to a very good start this year, but only 4 BB in 146AB. Craig has been slow to get going this year...seems like he explodes for a game or two and then nothing for a week. Peralta has 1/3 of their team's HR.

I would think Taveras will be getting the call at soon this season, and if there are bats with some pop on the market come trade deadline time they definitely have the minor league ammo to improve their club without mortgaging the future.

All true, plus Adams has only 2 HR due to the shift. He can go to LF, but with no power. Lyons was clubbed unmecifully last night, now 0-3 since replacing Kelly. Jaime Garcia made his last start in AAA last night and pitched OK and will be coming up. Jason Motte is going to AAA after doing well in AA. I don't know what gives with Kelly.

As far as Tavares: they brought up 2 outfielders from Memphis and niether one was named Tavares! For some reason they refuse to give him a shot on the big club.

Apparently the Cardinals are more concerned with a couple hundred thousand because of Tavares potential Super Two status than making the playoffs where every game could matter at this point given their start. Good.

Sure hope tonight isn't a sign that things are turning for the Cardinals. They blow it in the 9th, then in extras...they get a single. Grimm then walks the next two guys and drills a guy on a 1-2 pitch to send in the winning run.

I prefer to focus on the fact that the Cards needed 12 innings to regain the upper hand and restore their honor against the worst team in the division. A big part of me still just assumes they'll win the pennant in a walk, but this is fun for now.

Apparently the Cardinals are more concerned with a couple hundred thousand because of Tavares potential Super Two status than making the playoffs where every game could matter at this point given their start. Good.
I'M not familiar with the term "Super two" What does it mean?

Wong was brought back up after only a week down. Why send him down in the first place!?? (Ellis has been doing fine in his absence)

It's official: Jaime Garcia will take Lyons/Kelly's spot in the rotation. This Sunday I think. Most Card fans have given up on him and his shoulder. I'm one of them. :ohwell

Archived