Brewer Fanatic

The Scuffling Cardinals

Dead Simmons
I think the Pirates are pretty much dead. They'll get hot at some point and make a run for a respectable final record, but it won't be enough to make the playoffs. They've dug themselves into a pretty big whole early. The Reds are hanging by a thread too. It's a good thing the Brewers have jumped out to such a fast start. It will lessen the blow of the inevitable losing streak that's on the horizon. Every team gets ice cold at some point. Hopefully the Brewers rack up enough wins to provide enough cushion for when the cold streak comes. The Cards are some point are going to get hot. This upcoming series with the Cards is super important. Lose and the Brewers may end up chasing St. Louis at some point. Win and I think they'll have enough of a lead to stay in front throughout the summer. It's all about pace.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remarkable how much Card fans act like Packer fans. Even when the team is in contention for the playoffs they are fretting because they are not as much a lock to win it all as they want. I guess that is what happens when a team is always in contention regardless of the sport.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Crads and the rest of our division are regressing, while the Brewers are really progressing. This race could be over by the end of April after we play the Cards. They could be 10 games out by then.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

The Crads and the rest of our division are regressing, while the Brewers are really progressing. This race could be over by the end of April after we play the Cards. They could be 10 games out by then.

For all that is good and holy please take this back. The cards will continue to own us and stay in the race no matter how well we play.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Remarkable how much Card fans act like Packer fans. Even when the team is in contention for the playoffs they are fretting because they are not as much a lock to win it all as they want. I guess that is what happens when a team is always in contention regardless of the sport.

Totally off topic, but as a non-Packer who lives around Packer fans, I hate how they always say that it doesn't pay to make the playoffs if they don't think they can win the Super Bowl. Everyone I knew wanted them to lose to the Bears at the end of last season because they didn't have a team that was good enough to win the Super Bowl so it was pointless to make the playoffs anyway.

Totally off topic, but as a non-Packer who lives around Packer fans, I hate how they always say that it doesn't pay to make the playoffs if they don't think they can win the Super Bowl. Everyone I knew wanted them to lose to the Bears at the end of last season because they didn't have a team that was good enough to win the Super Bowl so it was pointless to make the playoffs anyway.

I dont know who you hang out around but I am a Packer fan and I dont know anyone who said this. I watched the Bears game with a ton of Packers and the room was going nuts when Rodgers hit Cobb. I dont know a single person who would rather miss the playoffs than make them.

Yeah, never heard that before.

And the Packers totally could've won the Super Bowl last season. Obviously they weren't favorites to do so, but they were a dropped INT away from beating the 49ers. Yeah, Seattle would've been a major hurdle, but beating them wouldn't have been out of the question.

Probable win the Super Bowl? Of course not. Possible? With Godgers, our team of receivers, and Lacy...of course.

Please tell me this is tongue-in-cheek. In 2007 we started 24-10, led the division by I think 8 1/2 games in June, and ended up barely finishing .500 as the Cubs won the division.

Not saying that's what will happen again but saying a race can be over by the end of April is ridiculously underestimating how long the season this really is.

I don't know what Packer "fans" you hang around, but this is completely untrue for myself and every Packer fan I hang around. Not one out of of the 50 or so I know wanted anything more than for them to beat the Bears.

Any real NFL fan knows that any playoff team could make a run, like we did in 2010, so for anyone to root against their team because they don't think they have it in them to win it all is beyond dumb. Especially against a division rival. I can't imagine that any real Packer fan actually felt that way.

I gotta say I thought that was the general consensus among Packer fans as I heard it so often from friends and family and heard it even more after they lost in the first round. And last year wasn't the first time I'd heard people say that. I thought it was pretty stupid to say that but I see posters say that here about the Brewers too.

I gotta say I thought that was the general consensus among Packer fans as I heard it so often from friends and family and heard it even more after they lost in the first round. And last year wasn't the first time I'd heard people say that. I thought it was pretty stupid to say that but I see posters say that here about the Brewers too.

Yikes. That's terrible. I'm sure there's always one or two idiots in every sport that would rather not win the division/make the playoffs (or at least SAY they would rather) because they don't "think" they have a shot to win it all, but I can't identify with that train of thought at all when a precursor to winning it all in any sport is just getting in and making the playoffs.

I definitely don't know of any Packer fans that felt that way last year. I'm sure there were some, but not wanting to win the division in the last game against your division rival is beyond my comprehension. I guess I can sort of understand a little better if you're 5-10 at that point and you just prefer better draft position, but I still don't like it. But to lose the division? Insane.

I would guess that half of them are just telling themselves that to try to make it easier on themselves if they do indeed lose, but it still seems crazy to me.

I'm also a non-packer fan living among packer fans. I have never heard a packer fan my entire life wanting to lose, for any reason. Packer fans are some of the most fanatical fans in the world, for any sport. I think maybe you are mistaken, or just trying to make a point.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I've noticed a lot of posters here want to dismantle the team every year if they don't believe the Brewers have a shot at the World Series. I know Packer fans last season who wanted them to lose and miss the playoffs so they'd get a higher draft pick.

I heard some guys say with maybe 4-5 games left that they would prefer to just shut Rodgers down for the season and put him on IR because they didn't think they had a shot at the playoffs anyway (which I never agreed with).

But I never heard of any Packer fan going into that game that actually wanted to lose that game against the Bears and give them the division.

Please tell me this is tongue-in-cheek. In 2007 we started 24-10, led the division by I think 8 1/2 games in June, and ended up barely finishing .500 as the Cubs won the division.

Not saying that's what will happen again but saying a race can be over by the end of April is ridiculously underestimating how long the season this really is.

Not tongue in cheek. I couldn't be more serious. pretty safe to assume that won't happen again.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Not tongue in cheek. I couldn't be more serious. pretty safe to assume that won't happen again.

Won't and can't are two very different things.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm sorry, I don't say posts are 'absurd' very often, but saying a division race is over in April is absurd. Assuming the Brewers sweep the Cardinals, they'll be up 7 1/2 games on April 30th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=1951-08-13

This is not proof that big leagues WILL get lost, but that they can, and do.

If you think April was good May will be good also. Lead just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I've watch both teams and the Brewers offense hasn't even gotten going yet.

If you think April was good May will be good also. Lead just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I've watch both teams and the Brewers offense hasn't even gotten going yet.

Do you expect K-Rod to be perfect all year? Do you expect the bullpen to hold opponents to a .198 batting average year? Do you expect Estrada, Gallardo, Peralta and Lohse to be able to hold down respective ERA's of 2.87, 1.42, 2.56 and 2.38?

Baseball is a game of peaks and valleys. We're at a peak right now. We'll hit a valley or two somewhere during the season. It's going great right now, enjoy it. It's not going to go this way all year, and how we rebound from it will say a lot more than what we are doing righ tnow.

Last April 27th, the Rockies led the NL West and had a 3.5 game lead over the Dodgers. The Dodgers ended up 18 games ahead of them on the last day of the season. Texas led Oakland by 3.5 games and ended up 5.5 behind on the last day of the season. Kansas City had a game up on the Tigers and lost to them by 7 games.

Could we win the division, sure we could. But talking about the race being over with 137 games left to play is crazy.

This is a most disheartening prognostication! :(

I must applaud your confidence.

Do you expect K-Rod to be perfect all year? Do you expect the bullpen to hold opponents to a .198 batting average year? Do you expect Estrada, Gallardo, Peralta and Lohse to be able to hold down respective ERA's of 2.87, 1.42, 2.56 and 2.38?

Baseball is a game of peaks and valleys. We're at a peak right now. We'll hit a valley or two somewhere during the season. It's going great right now, enjoy it. It's not going to go this way all year, and how we rebound from it will say a lot more than what we are doing righ tnow.

Last April 27th, the Rockies led the NL West and had a 3.5 game lead over the Dodgers. The Dodgers ended up 18 games ahead of them on the last day of the season. Texas led Oakland by 3.5 games and ended up 5.5 behind on the last day of the season. Kansas City had a game up on the Tigers and lost to them by 7 games.

Could we win the division, sure we could. But talking about the race being over with 137 games left to play is crazy.

Yes.

Archived