Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson?

Yeah, Sophia was referring to something happening around Burleigh Street and Sherman Boulevard. She was reading a script written by someone else.

It's not a sin to get it wrong if you're not from town. However, a local reporter needs to get it right.

I remember the days when Channel 58 first started having news and the reporters couldn't pronounce the names of Milwaukee suburbs. That was pretty bad.

I really don't see it as a problem to not properly pronounce a fairly meaningless street in the Milwaukee area.

To say "he's batting point three hundred twenty five" is much more a problem for a baseball reporter.

I must say I really don't get her employment. She's not smooth on camera. She doesn't appear to have any depth of understanding of baseball. And she's not good looking enough to make up for the first two deficiencies.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that "Bur-lee" is correct, but most people pronounce it "Bur-ligh", in my experience. The only reason I know/think it's supposed to be "Bur-lee" is because of an old co-worker that knew a lot of Milwaukee history and said it was named after some guy. He also noted how most people pronounce it incorrectly. Is he wrong?

It's definitely a plus that Sophia speaks Spanish on a very latino baseball team. Other than that, I don't see a lot of positives. She's stiff and robotic, doesn't read very well on-camera and doesn't show any personality on-screen.

Yeah, Sophia was referring to something happening around Burleigh Street and Sherman Boulevard. She was reading a script written by someone else.

It's not a sin to get it wrong if you're not from town. However, a local reporter needs to get it right.

I remember the days when Channel 58 first started having news and the reporters couldn't pronounce the names of Milwaukee suburbs. That was pretty bad.

Are you sure 58 news doesn't still?

While I don't think it is necessary to have a 'sideline' reporter on a baseball broadcast (it's not like she has access to the dugouts or team clubhouses; all of her appearances are filmed in the stands or in the stadium concourse), I really don't have a problem with Sophia Minnaert's role on the broadcasts.

...it's not like Rick Schlesinger is going to interview himself about the promotions on the next homestand, after all.

If "personality on-screen" means more Bob Brainerd fan interviews, I'm all in favor of Sophia's continued, robotic employment.

Archived