Brewer Fanatic

Brian Anderson?

Hey guys, I'm new here, so sorry if this is something that's been discussed or something, but I've done my searching far and wide, and I can't really find much about Brian Anderson? I can't help but missing his play-by-play during games. Anyone know where he's been and when/if he's coming back?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's calling NBA playoff games for TBS. He should be back once TBS loses their playoff assignments I would assume.

You should probably start preparing yourself for a complete loss of Brian Anderson in the near future, he is in high demand and I can't imagine he would stay with the Brewers once he starts getting full time national offers...

You should probably start preparing yourself for a complete loss of Brian Anderson in the near future, he is in high demand and I can't imagine he would stay with the Brewers once he starts getting full time national offers...

What kind of national offers? Unless you are working hosting sportscenter (or the Fox/NBC/CBS equivalent) or they make up a show that he hosts, what are you going to do for work day to day? It seems to me the Brewers are happy to let him go for golf, basketball, etc whenever he wants, so he may not move on until a bigger market MLB franchise has an opening and poaches him from the Brewers.

He may not have to work day to day. CBS could hire him to do both football and NCAA basketball games for example. Not that he's done football, but I'm guessing he could. Same with ESPN, they could easily slot him into football and basketball, maybe an occasional baseball game. He'd probably make more money and have most of the summer off.

That, or a large market MLB team could come calling offering a lot more money. Basically the same thing happened with Vasgersian back in the day. He ultimately went to SD, then onto Fox and now the MLB network.

Just for the record, I know that Matt Lepay has gotten some things wrong, he's made some mistakes regarding players, or on just some small things. But by & large I think he's done an awesome job.

He kinda brings that collegiate enthusiasm to the game that just makes it a lot more fun. Perhaps it's because just hearing him reminds you of fall football games, or march madness or whatever.

Just a personal thing, but I like Brain Andersen and I love the energy that Lepay brings.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Maybe ESPN was a bad example, but he would almost certainly leave if CBS or FOX came calling. And I didn't really mean to be a SC anchor, I was referring to being an actual game announcer - I don't think any of them work more than 2-3 games a week max, and they are generally in the same geographic region the whole time.

Community Moderator
The main advantage to Anderson is that he and Schroeder work well together in the booth. It is possible that Anderson will leave, although he might stick around for at least the summer in future years. There is plenty of work for announcers in April-May, but baseball season dominates in June-September and Anderson will still need a baseball job if he wants to have work the whole year. He doesn't have the personality to become a host like Matt V.

I agree, Anderson's days are numbered. I keep holding out hope that he either loves being a day to day baseball guy, or has an attachment to the Brewers after several years here. I know they are just dreams, but one can always hope. I'm just wondering, if he can get a flexible schedule like he has now, if he'd stick around and have the best of both worlds.

Either way, I do think hearing Lepay, gives me lots of hope that he will be Ueck's replacement. That would be tremendous and the only guy who could step in and take some of the pain away from not having Uecker around.

I like Anderson a lot, but I also like Lepay a lot, though the little mistakes are a bit irritating (I'm pretty sure he mistook Lucroy for Braun the other day, as an example)...I know those will go away the more games he calls, though.

I think Brewers fans don't realize how fortunate we've been to have had so many good announcers on both TV and radio over the years. Having a guy like Uecker around for decades just doesn't happen anymore. I know some people don't like Bill Schroeder, but he is head and shoulders above so many commentators out there in sports that it's ridiculous.

The only current guy we have that I don't care too much for is Joe Block. He is OK as far as play by play, but he sounds so monotone and unenthusiastic that he almost puts me to sleep.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have really enjoyed BA and I hope he stays for a long time. Realistically, though, I don't think that's going to happen. He's just too good to not get snatched up by a bigger market or to land a national gig with someone.

That being said, I really like Matt Lepay as well. If BA were to leave I wouldn't mind the TV job going to Lepay, although as others have mentioned, I think he's probably in line for Uecker's spot and I don't know how that works. If he takes the radio gig and then BA leaves, would they move Lepay to TV?

That being said, I really like Matt Lepay as well. If BA were to leave I wouldn't mind the TV job going to Lepay, although as others have mentioned, I think he's probably in line for Uecker's spot and I don't know how that works. If he takes the radio gig and then BA leaves, would they move Lepay to TV?

Maybe they'd try the very rare radio/TV "simulcast", but I'm not sure if current TV and radio contracts would even allow that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I like Anderson a lot, but I also like Lepay a lot, though the little mistakes are a bit irritating (I'm pretty sure he mistook Lucroy for Braun the other day, as an example)...I know those will go away the more games he calls, though.

I think Brewers fans don't realize how fortunate we've been to have had so many good announcers on both TV and radio over the years. Having a guy like Uecker around for decades just doesn't happen anymore. I know some people don't like Bill Schroeder, but he is head and shoulders above so many commentators out there in sports that it's ridiculous.

The only current guy we have that I don't care too much for is Joe Block. He is OK as far as play by play, but he sounds so monotone and unenthusiastic that he almost puts me to sleep.

Agree with most of this. Lepay's made a few mistakes (which, of course, not even Ueck is immune from), but his voice comes with such a Wisconsin connotation that I think it gives the games more atmosphere even than when Anderson's doing them. He brings that radio style that I really like.

A note on Block, I agree that he doesn't have the same enthusiasm, but there are things he brings to the table. As far as game descriptions go, he's up there for me. I think he knows the game, and he does bring some good baseball insight into the broadcast. Plus, I think he's pretty good at teeing Ueck up for some color.

Didn't people criticize Provus early in his tenure, mainly on the grounds that he wasn't Jim Powell? I feel like Block takes a different approach, but he also hasn't been able to call a team as much fun as the 2011 version like Provus did.

We have just been spoiled announcer wise. Other than the Cleveland radio guys, I just don't think there are very many other pairs I'd rather listen to. I guess the Oakland guys are pretty good too, and the Reds team can be fun as well. Maybe it's time for FanGraphs to update their announcer rankings.

Edit: Just after thinking about it, I do generally enjoy WGN broadcasts. Kasper's good, and his partner (who's name escapes me) has really improved. They talk a fair amount about advanced metrics and generally do a very fun broadcast, especially during idle weekday afternoons.

re: Provus, I thought he was every bit as good as Jim Powell, if not maybe even a bit better. I really liked him and I was deeply disappointed that he only stuck around a couple seasons.

You are right that Block seems to interact well with Uecker...unfortunately they are only in the booth together for basically a couple innings a game (I think...I usually don't listen to the entire game on the radio). Maybe Block would be better as part of a full-time two man team.

I agree, Block needs a second guy, and a whole game with two would be great. I like Block, but he needs a personality in there with him. I sometimes like his dry calm way of calling a game. It sits well with me. I think it's mainly because you get a mix of him and Ueck.

I love the Reds announcers, radio and TV. It could be because I lived there and would watch/listen to several of their games, but I can listen to them anytime.

I know this is sacrilegious, but I am not a big Vin Scully guy. Too much talking, constant chatter does not always work for me. I like him and he tells a great story but I'm tired after listening to him go for 3+ hours. Love the Dodgers radio team of Charley Steiner and Rick Monday though. Very underrated team.

Can someone explain what they like about Anderson. I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, I just don't get anything special with him. He seems like your average, bland announcer.

The thing I like about BA is that he calls the moment for what it is. Darren Sutton blew a gasket for every RBI single no matter if it won a game or if we were down 10-0. A lead off home run has a certain amount of enthusiasm, a late inning - close game home run has a different emotion, etc. BA is good at that in my opinion.

I like his approach to the broadcast. Someone else said that he talks too much (I may have read that elsewhere today) but I think it is just the right amount.

He and Rock seem to get along REALLY well, almost like two buddies talking at the bar. So different than when it was the Matt Vasgergian show with just about everything going over Bill's head or when Sutton was there and you could feel the tension between them dripping off your TV speakers as their styles completely clashed.

I won't say that Lepay won't ever be a good broadcaster. Just right now, to me, he reeks of Jim Paschke, whom I just did NOT like as a baseball guy.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't remember the tension between Schroeder and Daron Sutton, but will definitely take your word for it. I thought Sutton was terrible; he seemed completely fake and his excitement about some parts of the game were completely over-the-top. I was definitely happy to hear he was moving on from Milwaukee.

I like BA's sense of humor and think we're pretty lucky to have him. I won't be surprised when he moves on and would be happy if Lepay gets the full-time gig. I agree that it seems like he seems to click with Schroeder a bit more than BA does, might be a generational thing - though I doubt it.

I see a fair amount of comments from posters who don't like Schroeder and while I think he's kind of a broken record with what he says (though not nearly as bad as DS and sometimes BA), I like how he's not afraid to speak his mind. When the Cardinals were getting into bean-ball wars with the Crew, he didn't hold back his opinion on the "Cardinal Way". I like that. It's not too much, it's just enough.

Archived