Brewer Fanatic

2014-04-22 Padres (Kennedy) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-1, 12 innings]

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kennedy had 73 pitches through three and still gets through 6 innings. That's really quite annoying. Offense having a rough go tonight so far.

The offense is going to struggle on a number of nights so long as the majority of the players swing way to often at pitches out of the strike zone and don't draw enough walks.

Right now the Brewers sit 5th in batting average among all teams, but only 15th in OBP because they don't draw walks at a good enough rate.

Kennedy had 73 pitches through three and still gets through 6 innings. That's really quite annoying. Offense having a rough go tonight so far.

The offense is going to struggle on a number of nights so long as the majority of the players swing way to often at pitches out of the strike zone and don't draw enough walks.

Right now the Brewers sit 5th in batting average among all teams, but only 15th in OBP because they don't draw walks at a good enough rate.

Very true. No argument, just hope we can adjust, even a little bit.

I really disliked the Duke signing and the fact that he made the team, but he's been very impressive so far this season. Wow. Feeling a Braun dinger here to lead off the inning!

Duke looked to be mixing pitches pretty well that inning. The 89-90 mph fastball seemed to pop, and he got some swings and misses with it.

Wonder if Ron gives him another inning, depending on what the offense does here. He didn't work yesterday after the couple innings in Pittsburgh, so I guess we'll see.

Wouldn't their BA drop if their approach was to draw more walks though? I would imagine 'trying to draw more walks' would cause an increase in strikeouts and decrease the amount of hits since batters deep in a count tend to take more of a defensive approach, whereas hitting a ball early in a count would have a better opportunity to be driven or put in play.

Don't know if that's true, but I think it's probably more complicated that telling them "okay, be more patient"

Yeah I expect Braun and Davis' patience to improve over the course of the season, but guys like Gennett, Segura, and Gomez are never going to be big walk guys, and you would probably do more harm than good to mess with their approach too much.
advocates for the devil

You guys have more faith than me. This feels like a game we're going to kick ourselves for losing. Gave up a free run basically and left several scoring chance out on the bases. Plus Henderson scares me. Hope I'm wrong.

Great to see Henderson looking dominant out there. Duke/Smith/Thorny/KRod has been working so well sometimes I forget he's out there. Not to mention a pretty darn good pitcher in Kintzler presumably ready to come back in a week or so.
advocates for the devil

Wouldn't their BA drop if their approach was to draw more walks though? I would imagine 'trying to draw more walks' would cause an increase in strikeouts and decrease the amount of hits since batters deep in a count tend to take more of a defensive approach, whereas hitting a ball early in a count would have a better opportunity to be driven or put in play.

Don't know if that's true, but I think it's probably more complicated that telling them "okay, be more patient"

How would waiting for better pitches to hit cause the hitters to see a drop in their bating averages?

Players that see more pitches strike out more often. 'Waiting for your pitch' inevitably means letting some borderline stuff go that gets called a strike. Example 1A of this, Rickie Weeks, is at the plate right now.
advocates for the devil

Archived