Brewer Fanatic

Pittsburgh Fallout/Suspensions [Maldonado 5, Gomez 3, Snider 2 and Martin 1]; Gomez drops appeal, serves suspension May 14-16 (post 89)

pacopete4

They can call someone up, it's no different than Braun's suspension last year. The player does have to be on the 40-man roster. If the player index is correct, there are no spots open and no other catchers on it.

There is a difference.

Braun was placed on the restricted list and the Brewers were able to replace him on the active list (25 man roster).

Gomez and Maldonado will be placed on the suspended list and will count against the active list and can't be replaced.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can call someone up, it's no different than Braun's suspension last year. The player does have to be on the 40-man roster. If the player index is correct, there are no spots open and no other catchers on it.

There is a difference.

Braun was placed on the restricted list and the Brewers were able to replace him on the active list (25 man roster).

Gomez and Maldonado will be placed on the suspended list and will count against the active list and can't be replaced.

I had no idea that this was the rule until RR started talking about playing with a 23 man roster in his presser today. So, are we sure that we cannot call someone up during suspensions? Seems kind of odd to me, though I suppose MLB might be looking at it as another deterrent to keep this from happening in the first place.

I think Cole should have been suspended to set precedence for pitchers not to get so [whiny] about a perceived slight. The MLB is basically saying what Gomez did with the bat flip was wrong.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

part of me hopes that the brewers lose their next four games, all by one run and some more in extra frames. if maldonado truly wanted to stand up for his teammate, he'd care about putting the best 25 available players on the roster every day, and stand up for winning at (and behind) the plate.

part of me hopes that the brewers lose their next four games, all by one run and some more in extra frames. if maldonado truly wanted to stand up for his teammate, he'd care about putting the best 25 available players on the roster every day, and stand up for winning at (and behind) the plate.

I'd guess there are a lot of players on the team who are glad he stood up for Gomez and some of his higher compensated teammates are probably kicking in a few bucks to ease the pain of the salary he's losing.

This isn't hockey. I don't watch baseball to see brawls, but I hated it under Macha when other teams constantly beaned our hitters and we did nothing about it. People are talking about how Gomez's reputation is going to precede him in everything he does. If that's true, and other teams feel they can do or say whatever they want to Gomez just to "get under his skin," then I think it's good they know that if they go too far they could lose some teeth over it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Cole should have been suspended to set precedence for pitchers not to get so ********* about a perceived slight. The MLB is basically saying what Gomez did with the bat flip was wrong.

1) I can't figure out what language you tried to use there, but you've been here long enough to know better than that.

2) I don't think the suspension had a thing to do with the bat flip. Cole barked and walked away. Gomez didn't.

If that were true, every player should just stay on the bench no matter what. I can't blame Maldonado, in the moment it looked like Gomez was taken down more than he really was. Emotions were high and take over very easily in moments like that.

2) I don't think the suspension had a thing to do with the bat flip. Cole barked and walked away. Gomez didn't.

I would guess that if half the Brewer bench charged Cole, he would've at least tried to defend himself. Not trying to defend Gomez's actions, but no fight would have broken out if the Pirates' players had stayed on the bench. Gomez wasn't charging Cole, he was yelling at him. Without players rushing the field, Gomez would have chirped a bit, and gone back to third.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If that were true, every player should just stay on the bench no matter what.

I think they should - players/pitchers not in the starting lineup should not be allowed to run onto the field during skirmishes, IMO. They do nothing but inflame the situation. If something happens on the field that leads to an altercation, the team at bat can have coaches and players run out of the dugout to defend their own and help break things up, and the team in the field can have their coaches and fielders there as well. MLB has cameras everywhere, so after an incident they can use those to make sure nobody else ran onto the field. If players not in the lineup entered the fracas, they get a one or two game suspension without being able to appeal.

After the Pistons/Pacers brawl, the NBA got a better handle on player skirmishes by making it a suspendable offense if a player on the bench ran onto the court during an altercation. Even in the NHL, where fist-a-cuffs happen often, you almost never see benches clear onto the ice.

Had a rule in MLB similar to the NBA rule been in place, Snider and Maldanado never make it onto the field, and the altercation would've ended without any ejections or fights. I'm not saying what Maldanado did wasn't provoked or justified based on what he perceived was happening to his teammate in the heat of the moment. I think MLB needs to do alot more to cut this crap out of the game, and to me a good option is to create a deterrent so two rosters-worth of teams and coaches spilling onto the field every time opposing players start yelling at each other stops happening.

re: New York - is this still the case? I recall it being such years ago but it would seem like in this day and age with technology and such it could be done sooner rather than later. Plus doesn't that give an advantage to the Yankees and Mets if the hearing is heard day one and upheld so they serve the suspension against the NY teams.

re: New York - is this still the case? I recall it being such years ago but it would seem like in this day and age with technology and such it could be done sooner rather than later. Plus doesn't that give an advantage to the Yankees and Mets if the hearing is heard day one and upheld so they serve the suspension against the NY teams.

I don't know. You might be right. I think they can video conference. I believe that may have been what happened a few years back with McClung.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not trying to defend Gomez's actions, but no fight would have broken out if the Pirates' players had stayed on the bench. Gomez wasn't charging Cole, he was yelling at him. Without players rushing the field, Gomez would have chirped a bit, and gone back to third.

Completely agree, which is why I'm upset Snider only got 2 games. The focus media wise is between Gomez and Cole, but Snider was the actual catalyst to the physical portions of that event.

players/pitchers not in the starting lineup should not be allowed to run onto the field during skirmishes, IMO. They do nothing but inflame the situation... If players not in the lineup entered the fracas, they get a one or two game suspension without being able to appeal.

I agree with this as well, I think that would be a valid approach for them to take, it would have completely avoided the fight and suspensions in this case. Plus it would eliminate the silliness of watching guys charge in from the bullpen only to get there when the 5 second dust-up is over.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I read that in the minors they are testing a 'if you come off the bench you're suspended (or punished or whatever)' rule. Not sure how extensive it is. It would certainly eliminate a lot of the brawls.

It would also eliminate a lot of batters charging the mound since they'd know that most of their teammates wouldn't be able to help them out.

It would also eliminate a lot of batters charging the mound since they'd know that most of their teammates wouldn't be able to help them out.

Yeah, the 11-on-1 beatdown wouldn't be too much fun to watch.

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, the 11-on-1 beatdown wouldn't be too much fun to watch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/5-on-5-team-mma-is-the-craziest-thing-you-ll-see-today-040814

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

• 2 weeks later...
brewers released a statement. appeal will be heard friday 9 may. if he still has to serve suspension, one would assume that he'd miss games(s) from the miller park series vs. the yankees. had it been monday 5 may, he'd likely miss game(s) against the diamondbacks.

Why am I not surprised Baseball would wait to hear the appeal so that any suspension would cause Gomez to miss games against the Yankees. Also Brian McCann.

I would venture a guess that is not the reason they waited.

Archived