Brewer Fanatic

Pittsburgh Fallout/Suspensions [Maldonado 5, Gomez 3, Snider 2 and Martin 1]; Gomez drops appeal, serves suspension May 14-16 (post 89)

pacopete4
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the player get paid for the suspended days? If not, then I would hope and assume Maldy appeals to get the days down. There is no reason his pocketbook should take more of a hit than it has to.

Pretty sure he won't get paid for those games. Assuming 5 games and his additional $2,500 fine, he's looking at that punch costing him almost $18,000.

Crazy when you think of it that way.

Why DFA anyone not named Weeks or Overbay? Just move Gorzelanny to the 60 Day DL, send down Figaro and call up Diaz. Gorzy isn't close to returning so if he has to sit an extra week or two, so what?

the brewers are already essentially playing with an 11-man pitching staff in how they're using wang. you're proposing that on the heels of a 14-inning game, plus an overworked francisco rodriguez (four straight games), that the brewers essentially go with a 10-man pitching staff?

No, Kintzler would potentially be back Friday. My main point is that if the Brewers are going to clear up a roster spot, they aren't going to DFA Figaro. They can simply move Gorzy to the 60 day DL. As far as I know, he's only thrown one bullpen session, meaning he's really not THAT close to returning, seeing how he hasn't pitched at all. This gives him more time to return. With all the crappy bullpens in baseball, why DFA Figaro (or any other arm) at this point when you don't need to.

Given the timing and when he he played last it makes sense to sit now. If he sits 5 games now Luc has to play 5 games in a row. If he sits four games a few days from now Luc would have to play six or more in a row. Granted you could use Maldanado in a game before the suspension kicked in but then you lose Luc for an extra game where you normally wouldn't
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

We'll make this the general thread for this. The other suspensions have come down:

Maldonado suspended 5 games, Gomez 3 games. Snider got 2 games and Martin 1 game. All fined.

Twitter seems made that Cole wasn't suspended. IMO, you can't suspend a guy for barking though, so I would agree with him not getting a suspension. Personally, I'm more upset that somehow Snider only gets 2, he should have the same as Gomez.

if neither brewer appeals, the brewers are stuck with a 23-man roster for the next three games, right? makes things difficult if you're relying on herrera to cover center and be your emergency catcher. makes it even more difficult if khris davis is still out with the flu.

gomez has to appeal.

Gomez needs to appeal and Maldonado should just start serving his suspension tonight. It's roll of the dice, but the Brewer roster can handle playing one player short with Lucroy having last night and Thursday's off day to rest. If something happens to Lucroy then the Brewers would need to make a roster move that impacts the 40-man, regardless of whether Maldanado's available or not. Right now, Gomez should appeal and hope to avoid serving any suspension until Schafer's back. The bullpen is stretched and they need as many roster spots as possible for relievers right now.

Nothing for Cole, huh? I guess that's just par for the MLB course when it comes to these things. Snider should get 5 games with Maldanado - if it wasn't for his actions the fight never would've gotten to the point of him taking a shot in the face.

if neither brewer appeals, the brewers are stuck with a 23-man roster for the next three games, right? makes things difficult if you're relying on herrera to cover center and be your emergency catcher. makes it even more difficult if khris davis is still out with the flu.

gomez has to appeal.

Ya, they pretty much need him to appeal just to buy time at the very least.

It's horse crap that Snider gets a lighter sentence than Gomez. Gomez didn't start the fight. He and Cole were simply jawing at each other (albeit rather intense jawing). The Pirates bench, and Snider specifically, started the fight. If anything, it should be Snider 3 and Gomez 2. I'm ok with Maldonado at 5 and Cole getting nothing.

They don't get paid, although there've been cases when teams have chosen to pay suspended players in situations where the team felt the player was right.

Anyway, I'm guessing that Maldonado and Gomez will appeal simply due to the loss of pay.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

So Gomez gets kicked out of game +3 and Gerrit Cole gets nothing for being the crybaby that started the whole thing?

Im seriously angry with Gomez for being so selfish that he couldnt keep his you-know-what together and now has seriously cost this team some roster flexibility.

I agree - Snider got off light in terms of the suspensions...dude wasn't even in the lineup and he escalated the whole situation.

Wondering why MLB can't just make a rule similar to the NBA and put an end to benches/bullpens clearing. It looks really stupid when guys start jawing at each other and then 25 yahoos from the bullpens come jogging toward the altercation.

If you're not in the lineup, you can't come onto the field during an altercation. If you do it's an automatic 2 game suspension. That would lead to some serious roster problems for teams and maybe serve as a deterrent to limit how often this crap happens on the field.

I agree with most on here: agree with 5 for Maldi and 0 for Cole for no physical altercation despite being a tool. Also snyder should have at least gotten gomez's sentence, although I think Gomeys history probably influenced the decision. Its probably best for the team if Maldi serves now but its probably best for Maldi if he appeals. Does he take one (or five in this case) for the team?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cole was a nimrod, but he didn't do anything that approaches a suspension.

As for Snider only getting 2 games and Carlos 3 games - perhaps Gomez being a 2nd Offender comes into play. I don't know. Just a thought.

Plus, Snider got the big shiner that he has to wear around for the next week. That humiliation is worth one less game. :laughing

Agree with the strategy; the schedule works out well enough to try to plan around Maldonado being out, Gomez may be able to get a game knocked off or take it once Schaefer returns.

Joke that Snider is also appealing his suspension. Wish they could increase it to 5 on appeal.

Maldy's fist gave him the other three ;)

Archived