Brewer Fanatic

Pittsburgh Fallout/Suspensions [Maldonado 5, Gomez 3, Snider 2 and Martin 1]; Gomez drops appeal, serves suspension May 14-16 (post 89)

pacopete4

5 Games per ESPN

Thoughts? Should he appeal and try to get at least one game reduced? I think so.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 Games per ESPN

Thoughts? Should he appeal and try to get at least one game reduced? I think so.

Personally, If Gomez tries and appeal which he said I would then I hope Maldy doesn't appeal. Lucroy just got a day off yesterday and gets another thursday so he should be able to play 5 in a row and this lets us not play 2 down the next few games

He started last night, correct?

I say start serving it tonight, then plan on starting Lucroy the next 5 games...they have an offday Thursday so he'll get some rest. It actually sets up pretty well with their current schedule to serve it now. Even if he'd get a game or two taken off the suspension, when Maldy would need to serve it down the road may not be as good a time to do so as right now.

I say start serving it tonight, then plan on starting Lucroy the next 5 games...they have an offday Thursday so he'll get some rest. It actually sets up pretty well with their current schedule to serve it now. Even if he'd get a game or two taken off the suspension, when Maldy would need to serve it down the road may not be as good a time to do so as right now.

The suspension just came down today; he wasn't "pre-serving" the suspension last night....he just didn't play.

Agreed that the off day will make it easier for Lucroy to handle catching everyday; it's basically 3 games consecutive (Monday - Wednesday), a day off, then another 3 games. Maybe float him an extra off day in the next series, but it's not that different from his usual routine.

punching an opposing player was a stupid move. every player knows that the current roster lacks flexibility (especially if segura and braun are less than 100%, plus the flu bug making its way through the clubhouse), and now the team is handcuffed even more.

if this had to happen, i'm glad it happened early in the season. i hope it's a deterrent to future antics by other players.

I guess why not both players appeal? Wouldn't we rather have him get 3-4 games instead of 5? Same for Gomez.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The suspension just came down today; he wasn't "pre-serving" the suspension last night....he just didn't play.

Agreed that the off day will make it easier for Lucroy to handle catching everyday; it's basically 3 games consecutive (Monday - Wednesday), a day off, then another 3 games. Maybe float him an extra off day in the next series, but it's not that different from his usual routine.

Fear The Chorizo meant that Maldonado started the game last night, not the suspension. No doubt he started last night as a result of the upcoming suspension.

I would agree that he just starts serving it immediately. At best he gets a game off, but the timing of it might not work out as well at a later date.

Puts us in a tough spot. If you want another backup, you have to get rid of someone else or send someone down. There's not even another catcher on the 40. Do you really want to make a 40 man roster move to cover yourself at backup catcher for 5 days?

My guess is they make no move for him, serve it immediately, and try to get by for 5 days without Lucroy getting hurt. Who is the backup/emergency option?

how convincingly can rickie weeks fake a concussion? put him on the 7-day disabled list, move tom gorzelanny to the 60-day disabled list, and the brewers purchase the contract of a catcher and keep him on the roster until weeks is activated.

If he serves immediately, Lucroy will get the day off on Thursday...our only day off in the next 3 weeks. Still have no real backup, but at least it would let Lucroy get a second day off this week (didn't play last night).

The unpredictability of when the suspension would end up hitting if appealed may lean to serving it now. This is somewhat convenient with tomorrow still being a night game and then a day off. Otherwise you hope it hits around the May 8 or May 12 off days, but unless it straddles both it's no better than taking it now.

I take it there is no such thing as a suspended list in MLB that would allow us to call up a AAA catcher for a couple games?

They can call someone up, it's no different than Braun's suspension last year. The player does have to be on the 40-man roster. If the player index is correct, there are no spots open and no other catchers on it.

Herrera was a catcher in the minors and Bianchi has been catching bullpens.

Herrera never caught in the minors according to baseballreference.com and anybody can catch bullpens.

I suppose Bianchi could finish a game but if Lucroy went down and had to miss a few games, they'd still have to make a roster move.

My guess is they'll try to get through today and tomorrow with just Lucroy. Then when Kintzler comes off the DL on Friday, they'll DFA Figaro and option out Herrara which would allow them to purchase Diaz' contract, leaving the active roster at 24 plus the suspended Maldanado. Then Bianchi becomes the 4th OF until Schafer returns.

Of course Rickie could just be released and Diaz brought up to replace him.

I take it there is no such thing as a suspended list in MLB that would allow us to call up a AAA catcher for a couple games?

They can call someone up, it's no different than Braun's suspension last year.

not correct. the brewers will be playing with a 24-man roster while maldonado serves his suspension. braun was suspended for off-field conduct. maldonado has been suspended for on-field conduct.

if the brewers want a catcher from triple-a, they'd have to first add him to the 40-man roster (currently full), and then remove somebody else from the 25-man roster.

Why DFA anyone not named Weeks or Overbay? Just move Gorzelanny to the 60 Day DL, send down Figaro and call up Diaz. Gorzy isn't close to returning so if he has to sit an extra week or two, so what?

the brewers are already essentially playing with an 11-man pitching staff in how they're using wang. you're proposing that on the heels of a 14-inning game, plus an overworked francisco rodriguez (four straight games), that the brewers essentially go with a 10-man pitching staff?

Archived