Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin appreciation thread

jjfanec

Oh you are obviously right that we havent had the injury issues of some I was just pointing out we have had some injuries to key guys like Ramirez and Henderson who was supposed to be a key guy.

I give Melvin credit on the bullpen because our closer went down before the start of the season, Thornburg has missed a lot of time, Kintzler missed time and Gorzelanny has missed a bunch of time as well. In the midst of all that the bullpen has still been very good because moves he made turned out well.

You also forgot how much time Henderson has missed and Kintzler hasn't been as effective as the team hoped for. It's mainly been the three additions of Smith, Duke, and K-Rod which has allowed the Brewers to hold on and win so many close games. All three have been fantastic and i'll admit that when the roster was initially picked, i wasn't a fan of keeping Duke. Glad i was so wrong.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh you are obviously right that we havent had the injury issues of some I was just pointing out we have had some injuries to key guys like Ramirez and Henderson who was supposed to be a key guy.

I give Melvin credit on the bullpen because our closer went down before the start of the season, Thornburg has missed a lot of time, Kintzler missed time and Gorzelanny has missed a bunch of time as well. In the midst of all that the bullpen has still been very good because moves he made turned out well.

You also forgot how much time Henderson has missed and Kintzler hasn't been as effective as the team hoped for. It's mainly been the three additions of Smith, Duke, and K-Rod which has allowed the Brewers to hold on and win so many close games. All three have been fantastic and i'll admit that when the roster was initially picked, i wasn't a fan of keeping Duke. Glad i was so wrong.

Yeah I mentioned Henderson in a different place but forgot him in that post. If Melvin wouldnt have signed K-Rod and Duke and traded for Smith where would this team be? Who would be closing games at this point.

jjfanec I agree those moves turned out well. I am just saying it's such a crap shoot with relievers I have hard time giving credit when it works or blame when it fails. One year Axeford and K-rod are the best setup closer combo the next both blew chunks. That type of thing happens all the time on multiple teams. I do like the way Melvin goes usually goes about it though. I like his approach of having one or two veterans who have a decent enough history to think you will get at least average production and then adding a bunch of guys to see who sticks. Seems to me the best way to approach such a volatile area.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I will be shocked if Melvin stands pat at the trading deadline this year. When he knows he has a good time and a window to complete he really goes for broke. I have always been a Doug Melvin apologist; I will be curious to see if he finds a 1st basemen to replace our crapfest and who he finds to help out the bullpen.

1st base does seem to be the 1 glaring mistake on his resume right now; but he has made many more right moves than wrong ones it seems.

But who? There's not really any options out there unfortunately. Maybe Trumbo? He's on a 1 year 4.8mil deal via arbitration, and is hurt? Cuddyer? He's hurt too. All of the elite 1B are on teams that are playing for something except Goldshmidt, and he isn't going anywhere.

Verified Member
I don't recall, did we make any deadline moves in 2011? Hairston?

Hairston and K-Rod were both traded for in July.

This made me remember Erik Komatsu and look up his stats. Wow, talk about tanking after leaving Milwaukee.

1st base does seem to be the 1 glaring mistake on his resume right now; but he has made many more right moves than wrong ones it seems.

1B is a mistake except for the part about not giving Prince Fielder astronomical money. So I'd say he's batting .500 with 1B

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

1B is a mistake except for the part about not giving Prince Fielder astronomical money. So I'd say he's batting .500 with 1B

I think we also have to differentiate between a mistake and not having good options. Doing nothing instead of something stupid is not a mistake.

I think we also have to differentiate between a mistake and not having good options. Doing nothing instead of something stupid is not a mistake.

Doing nothing can certainly be a mistake, not just in baseball but many times in history doing nothing was a mistake.

Doing nothing can certainly be a mistake, not just in baseball but many times in history doing nothing was a mistake.

Sure not doing something can be a mistake if there are better options than doing nothing. But considering the options I don't think this is one of them. I guess you could call relying on one of Gamel, Green, Halton or Morris to step forward a mistake. But I think things not working out and actual mistakes are two different things. I understand if some don't but it is hard to call two MCL surgeries derailing a career a mistake on the part of Melvin.

Those of us that lived through the dark days that were the 2002 season probably have the greatest appreciation for what Doug Melvin has done for the franchise. When you consider the long term direction of the team, there have been some stumbles, but I've got confidence in Doug's leadership. I wasn't a knowledgeable fan back in 1982 to feel confident in making a comparison with Harry Dalton, but I think at some point in the future I'll look back at my tenure as a Brewer fan and will have some good memories of following the Brewers at this time in my life.

Go Brewers

Archived