Brewer Fanatic

When is it Time to Give Ron Roenicke His Due?

I think we have the perfect example of how amplified each move gets in people's mind on this page alone. We have one person who still remembers Ron replacing Henderson helping the team win a few games and another person blaming him for costing the team wins. Kind of goes a long way towards explaining why I think it's such a small part of being a successful manager.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much are wins 'worth' in free agency? I hope our managers are worth millions and not costing us millions. RR is much better this year. I really only consider I have seen one assinine decision. But I reiterate I hope RR learned from that. Mind you Kintzler was in yesterday again in a one run game. But that was down by one

My point is: be a man and admit mistakes and learn. And overall he is improving

• 1 month later...

Bump!

Most seem to have a distaste for him, I sure as heck don't. Keep on winning RR. Congrats on #300 today! Moves him into 5th place on our all time managers wins list behind: 1. Phil Garner (1992-1999: 563-617) 2. Ned Yost (2003-2008: 457-502) 3. Tom Trebelhorn (1986-1991: 422-397) 4. George Bamberger (1978-1980, 1985-1986: 377-351) 5. Ron Roenicke (2011-PRESENT: 300-263)

You'd think we'd appreciate him just a tad more than we do.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I've been very hard on RR, but as I'm finally getting to watch a lot of games, I'm trying to judge him more fairly. He's growing on me. He seems to try to use his players to do what they can do, rather than playing up his own style, which is huge. I am afraid he's going to burn out Smith and Rodriguez, but obviously he's aware of the problem. I just haven't found much to second-guess lately. Also, there's nothing like some exposure to Kirk Gibson to make you appreciate RR on a personal level.

Yeah, I hate the smallball tactics sometimes, but even that it seems like he is getting more reasonable and less predictable with. (I vaguely recall an AB the other day with Peralta when I thought for sure he would have him sac bunt and he decided to let him swing away).

As long as he doesn't pull a Kotsay in CF type move in the NLCS again, I would say he's grown a lot.

I've been very hard on RR, but as I'm finally getting to watch a lot of games, I'm trying to judge him more fairly. He's growing on me. He seems to try to use his players to do what they can do, rather than playing up his own style, which is huge. I am afraid he's going to burn out Smith and Rodriguez, but obviously he's aware of the problem. I just haven't found much to second-guess lately. Also, there's nothing like some exposure to Kirk Gibson to make you appreciate RR on a personal level.

Really! I suppose every manager or head coach in any sport can drive fans crazy at times. RR doesn't get a lot of love but neither does McCarthy in GB. :ohwell

• 2 months later...
I'd like to give RR props for NOT retaliating against the Diamondbacks. Could you imagine the suspensions we'd be suffering if Yost(!) was in charge during that?

I'm still bitter about the McClung beaning Pujols incident of 2007.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200709260.shtml

The Pujols beaning incident aside, Yost gets remembered in a lot worse light here than he probably should be.

I realize there were some baffling bullpen decisions -- he was here for what, 6 years? That's a 1,000 game stretch. I'd be willing to bet that anyone who manages 9,000+ innings is bound to make a few decisions that look like head scratchers to most folks.

I'd like to give RR props for NOT retaliating against the Diamondbacks. Could you imagine the suspensions we'd be suffering if Yost(!) was in charge during that?

I'm still bitter about the McClung beaning Pujols incident of 2007.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200709260.shtml

The Pujols beaning incident aside, Yost gets remembered in a lot worse light here than he probably should be.

I realize there were some baffling bullpen decisions -- he was here for what, 6 years? That's a 1,000 game stretch. I'd be willing to bet that anyone who manages 9,000+ innings is bound to make a few decisions that look like head scratchers to most folks.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/yost-infection/

Lets just say, it was more than a few.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived