Brewer Fanatic

ESPN Ranks Brewers #1 in Power Rankings....staff immediately says they don't belong

splitterpfj

So there is a 4 man panel that picks those rankings and then immediately 2 of those 4 go on a podcast and say it is wrong? Funny. I also love how they both more or less agree that the "parity" of the AL makes Oakland a possibility and their choice for the #1 overall team, even though they mention that Oakland has yet to play a team over .500

Great analysis. Good work.

Strength of schedule aside, I could see making an argument for the Braves over the Brewers, as they are 2-1 against us and only one game behind in the loss column. But even though they beat us in a series, the Cardinals are still 3 full games behind - they have no claim on the top spot.

These guys should be fired for stupidity. They are so wrong they should be homesless and ESPN should sue them for the money they paid them to make these determinations. I haven't watched ESPN since mlbnetwork started up and it's because they suck.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

These guys should be fired for stupidity. They are so wrong they should be homesless and ESPN should sue them for the money they paid them to make these determinations. I haven't watched ESPN since mlbnetwork started up and it's because they suck.

They should be homeless?

They should be homeless?

Executed. I think he meant to say executed.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They should be homeless?

Executed. I think he meant to say executed.

You're so wrong. Castrated.

We'll if you want to get serious they should be whipped and crucified. That should put an end to them. Worst biasness I've ever seen.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

ESPN is terrible. They deserve no attention. They should go out of business.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/KingslyZissou/VC%20GIFS/Mky1Y78_zpsde099353.gif

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I have never understood the point of power rankings. We can all see every team's record, doesn't that already rank everyone?

It brings the frustration and stupidity of college poll rankings into pro sports that don't need them.

Ha! Exactly.

ESPN and virtually every other website/network are paying people to be baseball experts (and all other pro sports for that matter). This gives them something to do to put on their site and get people to look at it. It's completely arbitrary and pointless but it does start a debate to some extent I guess.

That said...It's still cool to be #1 though.

I have never understood the point of power rankings. We can all see every team's record, doesn't that already rank everyone?

I think they're cool... people like top 10 lists and stuff like that and its always fun to read your team's one sentence blurb.

But I never understood why people got so worked up over them. Does it really matter what a couple of writers at ESPN think about your team? If they rate the Brewers 10th instead of 3rd what does it really matter?

I like how someone goes and says Atl is better than Milw while looking up to Milw in the standings due to a 2-1 3game series win where a game was 1-0 in there favor?

Yeah overall I think the Cards have us beat 1 vs. 1 but we were 3 games ahead of them(now 4) and these rankings come out every week. So more than likely we stay ahead of Stl. when this week is over. And that to me means we're deserving of being ranked ahead of them this week.

As to the Oak A's being ranked 2nd instead of Milw? Well, somebody has to be ranked 1 and another 2. When they are in different Leagues does it really matter? Brewers get nod for best record and deserve #1. Oakland best in the AL #2.

Power Rankings this early in the year don't mean squat but the fact that you get a little blurp from a team's reporter at least gives the outside fan a little insight on that particular team every week.

Like Miggy batting .210 was it? with under .300OB and only 1HR for Det? Well that certainly won't remain the case for the year and Detroit's record likely improves as he goes back to normal.

And Harang for Atl. He's not that good. Some kind of early season magic juice he's drinking. Here's a guy who avgs. 9+hits per 9 for his career and in 4 starts 25.2IP he's only given up 9hits on the season? Nevermind the .7ERA he's carrying for someone who's ERA hasn't been below 4 since 2007. So when I see Atlanta ranked up there, they need to feel damn lucky Harang has pitched lights out for a guy who typically is sent out for the slaughter as a team's last resort #5. The 3 wins they have from him are 3 more wins than you expect from him at this point.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120921164818/dragonage/images/2/2a/Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

For some reason I had not read this thread and am glad I finally did. Good job all around. #hillarious

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I mean even if this early stretch is "luck" and they go .500 the rest of the way they still end up at about 86 wins. So at this point, you sort of have to think of the Brewers as a mid 80s - low 90 win type of team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I mean even if this early stretch is "luck" and they go .500 the rest of the way they still end up at about 86 wins. So at this point, you sort of have to think of the Brewers as a mid 80s - low 90 win type of team.

I have an accountant friend who used the "if they only play .500 ball" logic back in what was is 2006 or '07 when they started out really hot. I kept telling him that teams have hot and cold streaks. I figured they were around a .500 team, and a hot start doesn't change that... it really only makes it more likely that they'll trade for a player mid-season rather than trading away players. Because he started thinking playoffs early in the season, he got really mad when the team played under .500 ball the rest of the way and missed the playoffs.

I feel the same about this year's team. I felt before the season that if everyone stays healthy and some things fall their way, they could fight for a Wild Card spot. I still feel the same way. They will have some losing streaks that will even out this hot start, and at the end of the year if they continue to stay healthy and the very young and very old players don't wear down as the season progresses, they will probably be in the Wild Card race. The one outlier is whether this hot start means they will trade away some of their few decent prospects for a rental player.

I guess I'm just saying to enjoy the team and the success they're having, but don't get too high on the good times, as it can lead to frustration (borderline depression) when they have their inevitable cold streaks.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived