Brewer Fanatic

Figaro recalled; Wooten optioned

djoctagone

the brewers recalled alfredo figaro and optioned rob wooten. the pitching staff needed a fresh arm, and it's beneficial in that figaro can go more than one inning.

unless replacing an injured player, wooten must remain in the minor leagues for a minimum of ten days.

Makes sense, Wooten pitched quite a bit this weekend and likely couldn't go today. His option for this year has already been used so sending him down doesn't cost much. Relief corps really need that off day on Thursday. And be nice to get the starters to cover 7-8 innings the next few games.

Would also help if they had another arm in the pen, instead of a guy who may/ may not develop into a MLB player some day.

I agree, they need to make a decision on Wang. Either he can contribute now or he should be sent back. This isn't 2003, we do actually have a chance to win, so wasting a bullpen spot the entire season isn't a good idea especially as they get worn down later in the year.

I posted it elsewhere but this is the problem with having a 12th pitcher that effectively only pitches when games are out of reach. You get a stretch of games where the pen logs a lot of innings in tight games, and suddenly there's a problem. It's not like it could not be foreseen either. These stretches happen every year to every team.

Though I realize Wang is a very intriguing prospect and I understand wanting to have him, you can't make decisions that could negatively affect your major league team in a year where they are poised to contend just for the sake of one particular prospect.

Shouldn't we worry about that negative effect when there is a problem? Giving up on long term success for what amounts to a two day stretch where we need a starter to go a little deeper into a game isn't smart. If that doesn't happen we just brought up a backup plan to deal with any short term problems. The benefit of five capable starters is you can rely on them to give you innings when needed.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I disagree. Keeping Wang only becomes an issue if they have multiple extra-inning games in a row (and even then it's not like putting him in late is an automatic loss). To me the value of obtaining an interesting young pitching prospect far outweighs that strategic risk, even if we look competitive this season.

I liked Figaro last year. I thought he may have been the 8th inning guy with Henderson closing prior to signing KRod. The move has to be just for a fresh arm and its smart. So the OMG Wang kills us people due to wearing out RPs. Well here you go. Interchanging Wooten and Figaro every time there's a need for a fresh arm.

Who here believe Milw will win at a .750 clip for the season? Wang will get his innings when we're behind and give the bullpen rest on those days. Plus with our Starting 5, I have a hard time believing that not one of them won't go 7 or more in 10 game span.

Anyway back to Figaro. As a RP last year 49IP 2.94ERA in 28appearances. Solid option to have in that pen.

Archived