Brewer Fanatic

Chase Headley

Anybody else think that he could be a good target in the month or so leading up to the trading deadline?

I know he's had trouble staying healthy at times but if he has a year anywhere close to 2012, I'd like to see the Brewers try to get him (assuming we're still in the race) and move A-Ram to first.

Maybe I'm just dreaming.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wouldn't give up the prospects needed to trade for Headley. You are looking at Nelson, Taylor and one of Roach/Hanniger/Arcia to get the Padres to even think about trading Headley.

Headley has also looked rather average last year and he is looking the same this year.

I don't see them trading for him and moving Ramirez to first. However, if Ramirez had a bad injury, Headley could be a target, and if Ramirez's option is not exercised Headley could be on Melvin/Attanasio's free agent target list next offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Chase Headley doesn't really intrigue me even. Other than one really good season, he's just been meh...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only reason you go after Headley is if A-Ram is hurt. And even then, he's going to cost a lot.

Headley was awesome in 2012, but that's the outlier. He an above average player, but not a superstar.

I guess it all comes down to the cost, but I suspect it will be too much.

Also, remember that if we traded for him, we couldn't give him a qualifying offer. So if we didn't re-sign him, we wouldn't get a draft pick.

Chase Headley has always reminded me of Corey Koskie. A guy who is a real solid contributor, but by no means an elite talent. With rumors out here that he is expecting to get paid like an elite talent, I would have a hard time parting with the necessary pieces to trade for him and then have to pay him a huge salary on top of that.

Certainly cause for concern on the pay expectations, but a Koskie type of talent who does everything above average to maybe average but nothing truly standout would be huge at either first or 3rd. Just like Overbay would be great if it was 2004.

Seriously? Chase Headley? Take his Freak good year away from him and he's going to be below .750OPS turning 30 shortly. We have ARam. What's the point of acquiring a 3b? No reason to even speculate on Headley for this season. 3b is ARam's for 2014 and 2015.

Considering A-Ram is still showing adequate defense at 3B, I don't think it would be beneficial to move him. It would be much easier to acquire a bat-first 1B (like an Adam Lind/Mark Reynolds platoon) and end up with a greater net gain than adding Headley.

Chase Headley doesn't really intrigue me even. Other than one really good season, he's just been meh...

He's been significantly better than just, "meh."

His WAR's since 2010;

2010-4.4

2011-2.3

2012-7.2

2013-3.5

That's an average of a 4.5 WAR player over the past 4 years. He's a good defender and if he didn't play half his home games at Petco, his offensive line would likely be far more impressive.

Compare that to Aramis Ramirez

2010-0.0

2011-3.3

2012-5.7

2013-1.4

Total of 10.4 for an average WAR of 2.6 over the past 4 years.

This isn't to say that I'd give up what it'd take to get him as Aram is doing just fine holding down the 3rd base position and making a move in the middle of the season would seem foolish. But I'm not sure with the dearth of 3rd basemen in baseball right now how you can be so down on a switch hitting, plus fielding, offensive threat like Headley.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived