Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez - Passion or Antics?

Eye Black
Gomez is getting a reputation in MLB, once a player gets the rep, he will be a poster boy, simple as that. If he doesn't want the attention, stop acting a fool.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love for somebody to ask Martin and the rest of the Pirates why when they did it, it was okay but when Gomez did it, it becomes a big deal?

Seriously...

It's one thing to act high and mighty about certain things, it's quite the opposite when you are a hypocrite and criticize the same behaviors you yourself displayed a day or two previously.

According to an ESPN poll only about 22-23%of people answering have a problem with hitters admiring a HR, maybe eventually we can end this ridiculous unwritten rule allowing pitchers to find reason for tantrums after failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Show boating is frowned upon in all sports. We are taught as children to show humility when you've got the other guy down. Not being raised south of the border I can't speak for them, but I have to think that this principle is not as prevalent...the machismo thing and all.

The term "hot blooded Latino" was coined as a libido inference, but has expanded to include exuberance and explosive temper. It's a real thing. Now relocate a Latino to the greatest country in the hemisphere and stuff a million dollars in his pocket. I'm surprised that incidents aren't more prevalent.

I like the little outbursts where no one comes to harm. Baseball can be a boring affair at times, and confrontations kicks things up a notch. Just don't over do it.

I'm late to this party here, but I'll still add my 2 cents.

1st-Cole hasn't earned the right to come over and jaw at Gomez.

2nd-Gomez should have been tagged and called out for leaving 3rd as I didn't see time called. Ignore this if I'm wrong because I didn't care enough to go back and look at it, but if that would have happened, maybe Carlos would have learned(maybe, probably not) that he doesn't need to throw a tantrum because someone says something to him. I say that realizing that I'm not certain what Cole said and that I suppose he could have made some type of racial slur which would have been juuust about the only thing that would have been acceptable to set Gomez off, but given that he plays baseball and his 3rd basemen is Pedro Alvarez, I doubt he'd do that.

3rd-I'm also worried about Gomez and his anger issues. I think they could have hurt us in that game when our leadoff hitter became Herrera the rest of the game, a game that went 14 innings.

But the thing that annoys me the MOST about baseball in general is this juvenile, middle school like approach to the "fighting." The type of people who USUALLY start these fights are the ones who in middle school only run their mouths when they know that the teacher is right there or the principal and that there isn't actually going to be a fight. They can just posture.

So in that vein, THANK you Maldy for actually smacking someone in the mouth.

The fight was stupid.

The unwritten rules are often times stupid.

I'm not a fan of standing there for an extended period of time, though I didn't think Gomez did.

I'm really not a fan of reacting to some mean words and costing your team your own ability to play for a few games by acting childish.

But for the love of god if you're going to be the tough guy. If you're going to tug at your jersey, scream and throw a tantrum and you're going to act like you're so angry that you just can't hold it in and act like an idiot, then do something about it. Throw a damn punch and get it over with. This fake tough guy crap I see makes me sick. Either actually fight, or shut up, ignore it, stand on third base and try to score a run for your team.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I wonder what the Pirate players think of Marte's walk off pose and bat flip tonight... I hope Cole talked to him.

Since it was a game winning walk off that actually cleared the wall everyone is probably ok with it. Gotta read the fine print on those unwritten rules.

Show boating is frowned upon in all sports. We are taught as children to show humility when you've got the other guy down. Not being raised south of the border I can't speak for them, but I have to think that this principle is not as prevalent...the machismo thing and all.

The term "hot blooded Latino" was coined as a libido inference, but has expanded to include exuberance and explosive temper. It's a real thing. Now relocate a Latino to the greatest country in the hemisphere and stuff a million dollars in his pocket. I'm surprised that incidents aren't more prevalent.

I like the little outbursts where no one comes to harm. Baseball can be a boring affair at times, and confrontations kicks things up a notch. Just don't over do it.

I'm figuring you meant no offense by this post, DS, but this thread is absolutely going to not go down this path of discussion.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I love watching Gomez play the game. I love the hustle and the passion. We need that spark plug type player!

I do think he needs to get his temper in control and shut his mouth. Let the play do the talking for him and understand that there will be repercussions for his hard nosed play. He's going to get pitched at and have people chewing him out. Just accept it and steal a base after getting plunked or yelled at.

2nd-Gomez should have been tagged and called out for leaving 3rd as I didn't see time called. Ignore this if I'm wrong because I didn't care enough to go back and look at it, but if that would have happened, maybe Carlos would have learned(maybe, probably not) that he doesn't need to throw a tantrum because someone says something to him. I say that realizing that I'm not certain what Cole said and that I suppose he could have made some type of racial slur which would have been juuust about the only thing that would have been acceptable to set Gomez off, but given that he plays baseball and his 3rd basemen is Pedro Alvarez, I doubt he'd do that.

The ump at third base put his hands up and tried to get in front of Gomez as soon as he left the base. The player with the ball at the time was Josh Harrison and he tried to hold Cole back. So there was really no way for Gomez to be tagged out.

I'm figuring you meant no offense by this post, DS, but this thread is absolutely going to not go down this path of discussion.

People might not like it but it is totally relevant to the situation. Players from Latin America come from a game with a completely different culture where playing with flair and passion is the norm and the opposition doesn't get offended by it.

People might not like it but it is totally relevant to the situation. Players from Latin America come from a game with a completely different culture where playing with flair and passion is the norm and the opposition doesn't get offended by it.

It's enough of a slippery slope on an internet message board that I think we should steer well clear of it. If other mods think I'm overstating it, then I hope they chime in.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As TooLive said, I'm sure that DS didn't mean any offense. While I can possibly see a wee bit of relevance, I can't see where continuing down that road would be productive. It's been mentioned; now it's best to leave it alone.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Since it was a game winning walk off that actually cleared the wall everyone is probably ok with it. Gotta read the unwritten fine print on those unwritten rules.

Fixed.

jerichoholicninja said:

The ump at third base put his hands up and tried to get in front of Gomez as soon as he left the base. The player with the ball at the time was Josh Harrison and he tried to hold Cole back. So there was really no way for Gomez to be tagged out.

Well tagged out or out of the base paths, the difference is negligible.

It just goes to my larger point that Gomez, for all the good he does, doesn't need to absolutely go nuts because someone runs their mouth. He cost us 2-3 games where he won't be playing, and in that instance, he could have been called out and cost us a very important run in a game that went extra innings.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived