Brewer Fanatic

Ike Davis to the Pirates

sauveb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that is disappointing. We'll have to see who the prospects are that the Pirates gave up and whether or not we would have offered the same thing.

I think the Pirates just bought a lottery ticket that could pay off huge. It could also blow up in their face...

I just hope this doesn't mean Kendrys is in Milwaukee anytime soon.

Ouch... Brewers couldn't beat that? Thornton looks like a mediocre RP prospect.

*Edit* Pirates didn't even protect him for the last Rule 5 draft. Unless the PTBNL is a recent top draft pick by the Pirates, then I'm pretty upset the Brewers missed out on this.

How disappointing. Our biggest position of need can be maybe solved giving up a minor leaguer. No one knows what Davis will do. But, as I pointed out an analysis stated, Ike's early year(s) were so good, it is likely impossible for him to continue he recent bad years. And I have read his defensive is good. And he is left handed.

Our management has dropped the ball in trying to improve the team.

Just like we will see Segura batting second with his .600 OPS over the last FOUR months.

Our team is often run like an old boys club. Once you are in, it is hard to get out. And it is hard to get in.

Being a Brewer fan, I have to hope Davis will not go on to terror the Crew for the next five years. But in analysing the pros and cons... having Davis playing first for the Pirates instead of the Crew bumps the Pirates UP a little, and therefore, the Crew down a little. And our management is supposed to be looking at what can be done, bit by bit, to improve us. They failed the MONEY PAYING fans in this situation.

According to Heyman, the PTBNL is "fairly significant."

In order to be included as a PTBNL, I'm assuming it's either a 2013 draft pick or somebody on the DL, right? Here's hoping it's Austin Meadows (Pirates' 1st round pick)

It's just super disappointing on so many levels. We have such a hole at 1B and our best option is Reynolds, who is under .200 and may strike out 200+ times. Ike...man. He's better than Reynolds.

After reading about Boras' relationship with Attanasio, I have zero doubt that the Brewers and Kendrys are destined for one another. I just pray Reynolds hits enough to get that deal after the draft.

I'm somewhat surprised by how disapointed everyone is that we have no shot at Davis anymore. Is everyone just hoping that maybe - just maybe - he's going to be somwhat like his 2012-self this year? Even those numbers in 2012 aren't that impressive, especially for a 1B.

It is hard to guess what Ike will do going forward. I think it was Fangraphs' article that measured future performance of players who batter like Ike did his 1st and 2nd years. And examining the ENTIRE history of baseball, Ike's bad 12 months were so bad - following his start - any person guessing at the future would ignore them.

He may not provide .850+ OPS at first base for the next few years. But it is more likely to be that, than a sub .800.

People are really upset about this? really?? They're starting duda over him.... Hunter morris could come up and hit .220 with 25 homers right now like davis will
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Is this the same Ike Davis we are talking about? The one with a lower career OPS than Reynolds and less power than Reynolds?

Some of you make it sound like we missed out on Joey Votto. Davis is barely an upgrade on Reynolds if he is one at all. Reynolds looks like he will be just fine defensively at 1st.

Davis certainly isn't someone I would make a "significant" offer for.

In order to be included as a PTBNL, I'm assuming it's either a 2013 draft pick or somebody on the DL, right? Here's hoping it's Austin Meadows (Pirates' 1st round pick)

A player cannot be traded until a year after he was drafted, I highly doubt it's one of their 1st round draft picks from last year. If it's a pitcher I'd think it would someone like Adrian Sampson Pittsburgh's #27 prospect or an up-and-comer like Orlando Castro.

I'd be shocked if the Pirates moved any prospect in their top 10 like Kingham, Glasnow, or Heredia for Ike Davis. I suppose it's possible they would overreact early and move Heredia, he did come in fat and out of shape for 2013 which I'm sure upset the organization plenty.

It could be any number of position players, they are pretty deep as an organization that way too... Hanson, Bell, Allie, Osuna, Garcia...

Ike Davis is about league average but he's also starting to get expensive, I'm not sure a league average 1B is worth a top 10 prospect from one of the better farm systems in baseball.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

"Hunter morris could come up and hit .220 with 25 homers right now"

I sure hope that will be the case. I think our management considers Halton a 1st baseman / 5th outfielder. So, if the Morris love is justified, in 2015 we do save 5 mill for the same performance as 2014.

Mind you, Morris is only .724 OPS right now in AAA. Halton .622. And these guys are 26 and 27 years old. I don't see a lot of upside.

A player cannot be traded until a year after he was drafted, I highly doubt it's one of their 1st round draft picks from last year. If it's a pitcher I'd think it would someone like Adrian Sampson Pittsburgh's #27 prospect or an up-and-comer like Orlando Castro.

Isn't that precisely why they had to structure it as a PTBNL? If it's a non-recent-draftee then they would have just named the player.

I think people are upset not because they think Ike Davis is Joey Votto, but because he is clearly a more exciting option than Overbay and it appears he could have been acquired for virtually nothing. That may change when we hear the rest of the trade.

(PS - Hunter Morris couldn't even hit 25 HR in AAA last season, he's not going to hit 25 HR in the majors...)

I'd rather throw money at Morales than trade any minor leaguer for Davis. Good non-move, Doug.

Agreed. Davis gets a lot of love from the Fantasy Baseball community, but in real baseball he is an average player.

Formerly Andersoc420

Isn't that precisely why they had to structure it as a PT BEN? If it's a non-recent-draftee then they would have just named the player.

I think people are upset not because they think Ike Davis is Joey Votto, but because he is clearly a more exciting option than Overbay and it appears he could have been acquired for virtually nothing. That may change when we hear the rest of the trade.

(PS - Hunter Morris couldn't even hit 25 HR in AAA last season, he's not going to hit 25 HR in the majors...)

If they were that worried about a more exciting option than Overbay they could have just kept Francisco. Without knowing who the PTBNL is I don't think we can assume that Davis could have been acquired for virtually nothing. The Mets wanted Thornburg which I think we can all agree would have been a major overpay. Davis would have been no more than a better platoon partner for Reynolds and I would have given up no more than what we gave up to get Reynolds which is nothing. Which was not an option for us.

Usually a PTBNL is one of 2-4 options, which gives the trade partner time to scout and choose the player who best fits their needs, not the previous year's first round pick who can't yet be traded.

I can't recall a 1st round draft pick ever being traded the next season, let alone as a PTBNL, would you give up Devin Williams who was a 2nd round pick for Ike Davis? I wouldn't and Williams isn't on the same level yet as any of the players in the Pirate's top 10.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thank God this fiasco is over! And even better our staff gets to beat down Ike Davis' numbers further while playing for the Pirates!

I'm glad the Brewers didn't send Thornburg for Davis....Can you imagine the bullpen w/o Thornburg today? Davis just doesn't appear good. It's 1 season he's living off of right now that inspires hope and a lot of fans clamoring to give him a shot. The problem is, he's worse today at making contact then he was when he first came in to the league. This at an age where he should be better and still improving. He can't make the proper adjustments and he's going to continue to struggle.

As to the trade cost/return? It was noted the Mets wanted Thornburg. We can all agree at this point Thornburg is a far better prospect than this guy Pittsburgh sent over. Could we have put together a better package than what Pittsburgh did? Hard to do if the other side wants Thornburg included in it. Yeah we could have put together a better prospect. Thornburg. Again we still now have Thornburg on our team and not Ike Davis. I couldn't be happier.

Archived