Brewer Fanatic

When will Miller Park be outdated?

crossface21

I just don't see a hotel opening up in the parking lot or to some empty land adjacent to the park. The closest improvement they have is the 381 room, $150 million hotel opening at Potawatami. http://paysbig.com/hotel/hotel-construction-project/archived-news/

As NeedMoreFans says, 81 days a year wouldn't cut it on costs for running a hotel that cost over $100 million.

The Brewers would be better off supporting a monorail type train from Potawatami to their parking grounds to link in that hotel. Or just run more shuttles than currently offered by Potawatami.

A hotel wouldn't cost anywhere near $100 Million though. You could build a 150 room hotel for at or less than $30 Million not including any land costs. A $100 Million hotel would either have to be a taj mahal or like 400 rooms.

I am sure it would never happen but I think there would be a market for it. Even with only 81 home dates a hotel in the area could still get decent enough traffic if it has easy access to the highway.

owbc, how does one become an investor in the Brewers franchise? I'm interested in finding out for myself. Thanks.

Contact one of the owners or a mutual contact and schedule a meeting. I'd imagine that you would have to find someone interested in selling some ownership and that you would have to have more than $10 mil avilable for them to be interested in meeting with you.

I might do that or invest heavily in the businesses on the Brewers leased property the as soon as I feel this economy "starts" to boom or the Brewers announce a major development plan. We are a few years away. Either way I'll help the Brewers franchise directly this way and in a bigger way than buy full season tickets. However, by helping businesses around miller park I can help a person and their family greatly and as much as I want to be a minority owner in the Brewers it's more profitable and I can help more people this way. I just received 20 million in my uncles will, he has no children and he was rich and me and him were very close more than anybody except his brothers, and he knew I was good with money and knew I knew how to invest, so he gave me this in his will. My father his brother got 40 million, so I could partner with him and do something really spectacular around Miller Park. I'll get in touch with Rick I'm sure he'll listen to me or give me a meeting to hear what I'm willing to offer when he hears about what I'm prepared to spend.

I also make $650,000 a year owning my business and that in a down economy. Sale business. I love Milwaukee and think there will be great investment opportunities around The Bucs arena and Miller Park. I'd rather invest in Miller Park first due to all the fans that show up and it's my favorite team. We will see how things go.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

owbc, how does one become an investor in the Brewers franchise? I'm interested in finding out for myself. Thanks.

Contact one of the owners or a mutual contact and schedule a meeting. I'd imagine that you would have to find someone interested in selling some ownership and that you would have to have more than $10 mil avilable for them to be interested in meeting with you.

I might do that or invest heavily in the businesses on the Brewers leased property the as soon as I feel this economy "starts" to boom or the Brewers announce a major development plan. We are a few years away. Either way I'll help the Brewers franchise directly this way and in a bigger way than buy full season tickets. However, by helping businesses around miller park I can help a person and their family greatly and as much as I want to be a minority owner in the Brewers it's more profitable and I can help more people this way. I just received 20 million in my uncles will, he has no children and he was rich and me and him were very close more than anybody except his brothers, and he knew I was good with money and knew I knew how to invest, so he gave me this in his will. My father his brother got 40 million, so I could partner with him and do something really spectacular around Miller Park. I'll get in touch with Rick I'm sure he'll listen to me or give me a meeting to hear what I'm willing to offer when he hears about what I'm prepared to spend.

I also make $650,000 a year owning my business and that in a down economy. Sale business. I love Milwaukee and think there will be great investment opportunities around The Bucs arena and Miller Park. I'd rather invest in Miller Park first due to all the fans that show up and it's my favorite team. We will see how things go.

What are you even talking about?

Brewers own 186 acres of land all around miller park. They own the lease to the property. They will need business people to operate the businesses and have capital for the business and that is where investors come in. Look at what the Ricketts are preparing to do. they are offering minority shares in the cubs to fund the 500 million rnovation project to Wrigly Field. The Brewers will likely do the same or offer something very simuliar, but they will be looking for investors. The Brewers will need hundreds of millions to invest in that much land. I doubt Mark A and his investment group will do it alone. Like the other poster said just to create access will cost millions in infrastructure.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

If any significant development is going to occur around the stadium there needs to first be major infrastructure improvements first.....in other words you need to build a better way to get there. I'd love to see a major entertainment development east of the stadium. The lots to the north and south can remain open for tailgating. But what I'd like to see if something similar to Bayshore with less retail and more entertainment. Bars, restaurants, coffee shops, merchandise shops, 2 or 3 hotels, maybe even some office space. And how about a Wisconsin Sports Museum? Put some parking structures on the edges and make it mainly a pedestrian walk area as opposed to letting cars drive all over. Surround it with a large park or two with music in the summertime. Maybe fireworks every Friday night. Something for everyone.

Go to google.com type in

milwaukee brewers 186 land development

scroll down half way to the PDF - "Miller Park and Real Estate Development in the Village of"

click on it and got to page 47 Exhibit 2 - MAP OF THE LAND SHOWING THE PROPERTY LEASED TO THE BREWERS FROM THE DISTRICT

If someone can post that map with the shaded areas I'd apreciate it. Helps put things in perspective.

If any significant development is going to occur around the stadium there needs to first be major infrastructure improvements first.....in other words you need to build a better way to get there. I'd love to see a major entertainment development east of the stadium. The lots to the north and south can remain open for tailgating. But what I'd like to see if something similar to Bayshore with less retail and more entertainment. Bars, restaurants, coffee shops, merchandise shops, 2 or 3 hotels, maybe even some office space. And how about a Wisconsin Sports Museum? Put some parking structures on the edges and make it mainly a pedestrian walk area as opposed to letting cars drive all over. Surround it with a large park or two with music in the summertime. Maybe fireworks every Friday night. Something for everyone.

exactly. I like that idea.

The Yount lot to the east is where I park 60 times a year. I do not want any development there.

The Majority of the land that was lease to the Brewers if you stand on home plate and look straight out to left field and center field and look east of that and all that land is owned by the Brewers. That's the majority of the 186 acres. Go out the rear central exit of the preferred lot and all of those dead buildings they own and across miller park way east of that they own that land also. The Brewers have a lot of parking and I suspect they would get rid of a lot of the General parking and force the tailgaters to the preferred lot to increase profits made on tailgating and parking. Development of the land bars resturants etc.. in back of preferred parking they could create easy busing transport to the front of the stadium (home plate section) for people who couldn't get parking if there ever became shortages. Same with the general lot after development there.

I'll just guess that very few of us will still be around when Miller Park is mothballed.

Many posters I know have been around these boards since Miller Park was first opened for business. I don't suspect many will be leaving.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'll just guess that very few of us will still be around when Miller Park is mothballed.

Many posters I know have been around these boards since Miller Park was first opened for business. I don't suspect many will be leaving.

I think he means most of us will be dead of old age.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think he means most of us will be dead of old age.

Guess I'll have to keep things going then.. ;)

It won't last as long as everyone thinks it will. Whoever Mark sells the team to (not saying it will happen soon, probably 10-15 years) will say that Miller Park is outdated and the team needs a new stadium to compete.

I agree this will be the scenario, but it will have to be at least 20 years from now for the owner to pull it off. So hopefully Mark A. holds on that long.

What are you even talking about?

What part do you not understand? This entire discussion has been about how long Miller Park will be viable and then became about investing and building up the surrounding area. PrinceFielderx1 has been talking(pretty clearly I might add) about his desire to be a part of either the Brewers ownership group, or in what he believes will become the businesses surrounding the building.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It won't last as long as everyone thinks it will. Whoever Mark sells the team to (not saying it will happen soon, probably 10-15 years) will say that Miller Park is outdated and the team needs a new stadium to compete.

That's an awfully pessimistic outlook.

The Bradley Center was built for Hockey. The sight lines and the construction of the building was to try and draw a NHL team first and foremost.

Miller Park was built with longevity in mind and the stadium board and Mark A have done an outstanding job updating Miller Park and continually improving it.

County stadium lasted almost 50 years and that was just a cold, cookie cutter type stadium. Miller Park is a beautiful building with the potential to continually evolve. It's no Lambeau Field, but my guess would be that the future home of the Brewers is going to follow a path far more similar to Lambeau. If a new owner comes in perhaps they'd want significant upgrades. But Milwaukee isn't going to be building a new 500 million dollar NBA arena and then a 2nd state of the art Baseball Stadium within 25-30 years(which would line up with your 10-15 year time frame).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

"Miller Park is out dated" would be a tough pitch to the taxpayers in 10-15 years. Surely they will ask "why?" and "how?" and there won't be, or shouldn't be, any good answers to those questions.

County Stadium died a slow, methodical, mechanical death. All of the mechanicals were just done in. There was almost no money for maintenance or repairs. Everything was patched together as inexpensively as possible just to keep it alive for another year; and then another and another and another. It finally got to the point that it just couldn't be patched together any further.

When County was built, there were no real thoughts of future expansion or future technologies and amenities. Stadiums just weren't built like that back then. Miller Park was built with all of that in mind, as that is the custom of the day.

A new owner may threaten to move the team, using a (then) 20-25 year old Miller Park as leverage, but even then I think he would have to show "why" and "how" it was outdated. I just can't see that case being made, barring some revolutionary new technology that makes all existing buildings outdated.

Or, I've lost what's left of my mind. It's gotta happen sometime. Now if I could only find my teeth...

Archived