Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 4/16 - Rattlers Sweep Two Very Different Ballgames; Bradley Shines for 'Tees

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pena comes through in clutch for Rattlers

by Mike Woods, Post-Crescent Media

GRAND CHUTE — There was a time when Jose Pena was a hot topic among Milwaukee Brewers’ fans.

In 2009, the Brewers signed the Dominican Republic outfielder as a 16-year-old and forked over a reported $400,000 signing bonus.

That’s a lot of money, and faith.

But the 6-3, 205-pound 21-year-old is beginning to deliver on his promise.

Wednesday Pena hit a three-run, walk-off homer in the eighth inning as the Timber Rattlers capped a four-run inning to take a 10-7 victory over Lansing in the first game of a Midwest League doubleheader on Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

The Rattlers also took the second game, 1-0.

The Brewers signed Pena in large part because of his power potential. In 2012, splitting time between rookie league teams in Arizona and Montana, Pena combined for eight homers and 46 RBI while hitting .302.

Playing exclusively at Helena, Mont., in the Pioneer League last season, Pena hit 10 homers with 35 RBI while batting .272.

Now through 10 games with Class A Wisconsin, Pena is hitting .324, with a homer and nine RBI, all in weather resembling the inside of your refrigerator.

“He’s wearing thick, insulated batting gloves,” said Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson. “I think it’s helping him out.

“But he’s a guy that’s kind of come as a free swinger. I haven’t seen a lot of him. I know two years ago he had a really good season. Struggled a little bit in Helena (in 2013). And then the last two weeks of the season last year he got on a roll, hit like six home runs in 10 or 11 days. Had a pretty decent spring training and he’s been one of our most consistent offensive players thus far, in the cold.”

The game-winning home run was a measure of redemption for Pena. In the top of the eighth, the left fielder misjudged the wind as he started in on a fly ball by Derrick Loveless, only to see it blow over his head to the warning track and allowing the Lugnuts to score the go-ahead run.

The Rattlers tied the game in their half of the eighth on a one-out infield single by Clint Coulter. Pena then came up with two runners on.

“I was just up there looking for a good pitch to hit, put it in play and try and score some runs and help my team,” Pena said.

He sent a fly ball to left, and the wind that betrayed him shortly before this time helped carry the ball easily over the fence.

“Yeah, I think the ball’s gone,” Pena said of the hit. “I can run. We win the ballgame.”

Erickson believes some of Pena’s early success can be attributed to his offseason work.

“I know he came in in great shape,” Erickson said. “He’s in much better shape this year than he was last year. So maybe his struggles last year woke him up a little bit as far as taking care of his body.”

Right now, both his mind and his body have to be right for the native of the Dominican Republic.

“It’s hard playing in the weather,” said Pena, “but I like playing in cold. It’s very good.”

Now Bradley with a really nice start as well

Bradley's last two starts. 11 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 11 K.

Just when I had given up on Bradley he sucked me back in.

http://i.imgur.com/awj0PYi.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Exactly how I feel. He has the stuff to be a good pitcher. Not sure what his issue is

So far the minor league pitching has been far better than the hitting. Still waiting for hitters, perhaps outside of Taylor, to emerge

Coulter has had a very nice start. OPS 1.190. I will take that. But you are right we havent had a ton of success outside those two

I'm surprised, thought I shouldn't be, that you were there in the extreme cold yesterday taking pictures while I watched baseball from the warmth of my couch. I'm a wuss!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm surprised, thought I shouldn't be, that you were there in the extreme cold yesterday taking pictures while I watched baseball from the warmth of my couch. I'm a wuss!

Haha, yeah, it was my only chance to see Lansing in Appleton this season so I made the trip. We ducked out after the first game though, so I guess I'm only half a wuss.

LOL...good old Al. Sometimes I think the only difference was the team that drafted him. We came out of that 1st round with two of the top 10 overall draft prospects and now both are finally starting to show why.

Any indication as to what his velocity is like? For that matter where he and Jungman are hitting right now on the guns?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived