Brewer Fanatic

2014-04-14 Cardinals (Lynn) at Brewers (Garza), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-0]

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cardinals.png[/logo][game-info][h1]April 14 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Cardinals (7-5) | Brewers (10-2)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/pitchers/cardinals/lynn-01.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/pitchers/brewers/garza-03.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][h2]2-0, 6.55 ERA, 1.55 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Lynn gets a break from facing the Reds, who scored eight runs in 11 innings of his first two starts. Six of the runs have come in the first frame, which Lynn knows is an issue. Run support, though, always seems to be plentiful when he's on the mound.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][h2]0-1, 2.57 ERA, 0.93 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cardinals | Game Log[/h3][h3]After taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning of his Brewers debut, Garza's follow-up was more of a battle. He surrendered eight Phillies hits in six innings and committed a run-scoring balk, but kept the Brewers close.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. 3B Matt Carpenter
  2. 2B Kolten Wong
  3. LF Matt Holliday
  4. 1B Matt Adams
  5. RF Allen Craig
  6. SS Jhonny Peralta
  7. CF Jon Jay
  8. C Tony Cruz
  9. RHP Lance Lynn

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gomez
  2. SS Jean Segura
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramirez
  5. C Jonathan Lucroy
  6. 1B Lyle Overbay
  7. 2B Scooter Gennett
  8. LF Logan Schafer
  9. P Matt Garza

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice not seeing Molina in there for Game #1. The offense for STL has been a little underwhelming thus far but they have the talent to put up big run totals if you pitch like crap.

It would be nice to win the first one. Cards seem to have our number lately. We miss Wainright and Wacha which is pretty nice. They miss Gallardo and Lohse; but its not like those guys are better than our 3-5 pitchers anyways

Wouldn't have minded seeing Schafer or Gennett in the 2 spot tonight to break up the righties, maybe take some pressure off of Jean's shoulders too.

From ESPN's stats department:

Mark Reynolds has compiled a 1.231 slugging percentage in at-bats that end in fastballs this season, tops in the National League. Opposing pitcher Lance Lynn has thrown the second-highest percentage of fastballs among qualified pitchers since the start of last season (74 percent).

Matt Garza has not allowed a hit in an at-bat that ends in an off-speed pitch, one of only two qualified pitchers in the league yet to allow a hit in those at-bats. St. Louis Cardinals hitters are hitting .145 in at-bats that end in an off-speed pitch this year, tied for fourth-worst in baseball.

Statement Game right here by Garza and the Brewers. That could completely change the season series by having one. I think mentally it puts the thought, "This Brewers team is for real" in their heads. And for Milwaukee, getting the first win vs. StL. after their start just sets the tone. We're here to stay atop and we're not going to back down to the heralded, automatic 1st place in everyone's eyes Cardinals.

I'm already fully expecting 2 Bean Brewer Players in this game. I hope RRR gets ejected along with Wang when they bring him in to immediately bean a Cardinal back on the 2nd Brewer beaning. The Benches clear and every game here on out vs the Cardinals has a Playoff Game feel about it.

I like Gomez and Braun when they are angry.

Roenicke really seems to like Schafer. I like him too, but not for any reason I can back up with a real argument. Gennett and Schafer back to back in the lineup is going to grind a giant hole in the batters box. Too much grit.
advocates for the devil

Statement Game right here by Garza and the Brewers. That could completely change the season series by having one. I think mentally it puts the thought, "This Brewers team is for real" in their heads. And for Milwaukee, getting the first win vs. StL. after their start just sets the tone. We're here to stay atop and we're not going to back down to the heralded, automatic 1st place in everyone's eyes Cardinals.

I'm already fully expecting 2 Bean Brewer Players in this game. I hope RRR gets ejected along with Wang when they bring him in to immediately bean a Cardinal back on the 2nd Brewer beaning. The Benches clear and every game here on out vs the Cardinals has a Playoff Game feel about it.

I like Gomez and Braun when they are angry.

Reds and cards isna't a rivalry anymore. Either is Cubs vs Brewers. The new one Brewers vs Cards!

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

With the reports of Garza being at the forefront of firing up the rest of the pitching staff, I feel like this is the perfect match-up for the start of the series. I know he'll want to dominate, hope he pitches well.

Garza throws two identical pitches to Adams. One is called a strike, one is called a ball. Bob Davidson, ladies and gentlemen. He has to be one of the worst umps in MLB - most confrontational, too.

Really confused on why no Davis or Reynolds tonight

I agree with you. I think it's a matchup thing. Lynn is better vs righties compared to lefties. And in extremely small samples Overbay and Schafer have performed better vs Lynn.

Archived