Brewer Fanatic

Retro Uniforms All Weekend?

I was going to start a new thread but thought I'd drop it in here. When is the last time the Brewers have worn the retro gray uniforms with "Milwaukee" in cursive across the chest? Have they ever done that as a retro?

On that note, why is it so hard to find that jersey out there? I'd love to do a custom gray jersey but can't find it anywhere.

No, the Brewers, to my knowledge, have never used that as a retro or alternate jersey. I too, would absolutely love if they brought that one back. I would pay $200 for a replica Paul Molitor one if it was available.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the retros, but I also like the current unis. I have jerseys and hats of both. Can't go wrong with either. I also wouldn't mind seeing the old early 70's jersey be a retro jersey once in a while. Only problem with those is when I wear the hat people mistake it for Michigan.

Love the Bears jerseys too.

Anything but those late 90's MB and the current "gold" mustard puke thing is great with me. Don't quite get the love for those.

Bombers,

That poster said he doesn't want to own the retro, which my question was name 1 person that doesn't want to own the retro? Bombers you said most people you talk to like the retros in small doses, which proves my point that practically everybody wants to own the retro jersey.

I stand slightly corrected. You are correct, many people like the retro. I did a poor job articulating what I was disagreeing with. The part I was disagreeing with was "most want to purchase the retro than the current, because it's a BETTER jersey" ... I don't think that to be accurate. I would like to see what the team store sales are. I would guess it is closer to 50/50 than you would think. I see many people wearing jersey's of both types. Which leads me to, the more the merrier.

Now the piece about the ball / glove becoming a more permanent fixture with today's colors. That would be pretty intriguing and I would like to see that sampled at some point. I just wouldn't be for a complete drop of the current uniform with a 100% switch back to the old one.

Name 1 person who doesn't want to own the retro jersey?

Meh. Love the m/b logo, but I think the retro homes look like 70's softball uniforms, and I personally don't like pinstripes at all. But, in small doses, they are fine.

I love the current grey road and blue alternates best.

In my opinion, a return to the retro would be the preferred route even though I love the M with barley logo. The retro logo is a classic and a staple of the Brewers and what the team is really identified with historically. Like others have mentioned, a tweak or two here or there could be done to accommodate "modernizing" the look a little but what I would like to see is the following:

HOME:

Current retro uniform. While some may not like it, it is the Brewers. That's the Brewers identified look and maybe could use a Blue Jays-esque modernization, but wouldn't drift too far away from that scheme unless they use HOME alternate #1 below...

HOME Alternates:

1. Ball and Glove on chest on a solid white jersey minus the pinstripes. Think the new 2014 retro batting practice jersey. This may end up being the full time home jersey given time.

2. Ball and glove on chest on a royal blue jersey. Same as the retro batting practice jersey minus the yellow patches under the sleeves.

AWAY: Gray Milwaukee script jersey from the late 80s/early 90s that seems to be universally loved.

AWAY alternate: Ball and Glove on chest on yellow jersey. Same as home except yellow jersey instead of royal blue.

I think these looks would be more identifiable and the Brewers will additional revenue by creating alternates of the "new" design. A new German/Polish/Italian/Latin heritage day with the new design. Retro blue days with the blue away jersey instead of the gray. White panel hat days. Yellow panel hat days.

For those who argue the revenue side of the Brewers having two logos currently, I have to think that the revenue generated through the creation of a new ball and glove centric logo and the new merchandise it would create through the creation of new jerseys, would greatly outweigh what having two current logos currently provide.

Essentially, the Brewers would be creating at least four new regular jerseys (3 alternates, new road gray) and possibly a fifth with a modernization of the daily home. Add to it at least four new heritage day jerseys and new white panel and yellow panel hats and I think the Brewers would realize a windfall in terms of merchandising opportunities that aren't currently available to the team.

Name 1 person who doesn't want to own the retro jersey?

Me. Maybe if they didn't completely live in the past every time it was mentioned I'd change my mind but I still prefer the new to the old.

The argument that we'd see a large increase in merchandise revenue by switching to the retro logo/uniforms full time is terribly flawed. Nearly everything in terms of merchandise is available in both. Why on earth would you limit yourself to one choice, especially when this thread is a perfect example of the rabid support that both logos have? People aren't going to suddenly decide they need to update their wardrobe because one logo "won out" over the other, especially if they really liked the logo that was eliminated. It's incredibly short-sighted. As ugly as some of you feel the gold uniforms are, there is still a section of the fan base that absolutely loves them. If they weren't selling 'em, they wouldn't be making 'em.
Gruber Lawffices

As much as I love our retro unis, I think it's best we don't go straight back to them. I like our uniforms now. As many have mentioned, maybe an alternate hat that is current color but old mb glove. Then do a retro home like they do now and a retro road gray that they could pick as well. Have all kinds of uniform choices! Their old uniforms are so classic but their current ones are very sharp.

• 10 months later...
Brewers need to go retro every game. Enough of this stupid crap. Do the Brewers know the money they can make should they do this? Best uniforms in baseball of all time.

About half as much as they can make selling two different sets of merchandise with two different logos and color schemes? It's not like there is less ball and glove merchandise just because they don't wear that uni all the time, that logo and color scheme is everywhere, as is the new one. This is why there are two uniforms, and why there will be for a long time.

Not really true. Half of the people who own the current jersey non retro will end up purchasing the retro jersey. The new fans it will attract along with winning will increase sales. More people want to purchase the retro than the current, because it's a BETTER jersey. With the Retro jersey people must also have the ball and glove logo cap.

I'm going to disagree with you.

Obviously you will sell more retros if it becomes the only option, but you will sell fewer overall jerseys which is what they care about. This is a basic concept in marketing/sales > shelf space. Why do you think Miller makes 700 types of beers that all taste the same? Why do they literally sell the exact same product but in a different package, regular miller lite and the retro cans? Because they have more shelf space, more things to sell means more sales. The Brewers are competing against Packer and Badger (and Bucks?) jerseys and if they have 2 sets of everything in each store that means more dads are getting a Carlos Gomez jersey they don't want for Christmas instead of a Jordy Nelson jersey they don't want.

They should wear some baggy all wool 1901 Milwaukee Brewer retros once, that would be so awesome

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1901_milwaukee.gif

The hat is especially amazing, M+B = ball and glove??? How about 2 blue lines?

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/mbrew/MilBrew01Cap.gif

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12374140/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-mlb-uniforms-1-30

Seems like the Brewers current uniforms are consistently in the bottom 5 in uniform rankings such as these.

Of course the Cardinals have to take first in even this. Nothing special about their uniforms. While I do like the bird on the bat, overall they are just meh and red like most of the rest of baseball.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12374140/uni-watch-power-rankings-rates-mlb-uniforms-1-30

Seems like the Brewers current uniforms are consistently in the bottom 5 in uniform rankings such as these.

Of course the Cardinals have to take first in even this. Nothing special about their uniforms. While I do like the bird on the bat, overall they are just meh and red like most of the rest of baseball.

Yeah I hated that too...

For me, I just like the basics of a road gray and home white with an alternate for home and road thrown in once or twice a month. Honestly, just wish the Brewers, and the Bucks for that matter, had a timeless look like the Yankees or Dodgers do. At least we have the Packers.

I keep having this feeling that after this year the team is going to change logos/uniforms again. Obviously I am just speculating but maybe they go back to the ball and glove and maybe try something new. Hard to believe that our current logo has been in place for sixteen seasons on Opening Day while the ball and glove had a sixteen year run before being changed for the '94 season.

Honestly, just wish the Brewers, and the Bucks for that matter, had a timeless look like the Yankees or Dodgers do. At least we have the Packers.

Personally, I think the current jerseys are that, especially the home ones.

I usually agree with a lot of what you say Invader, but I just plain disagree with you on this one. The M with barley logo is solid, but everything about the uniforms and secondary logos with the current set are just so...uninspiring.

I would love the idea of the current color scheme and uniforms, but ball and glove logo on the hats. At least as a Sunday cap or something.

The current colors with ball & glove would be awesome. I've seen it suggested on this forum before and I fully agree, I wish they'd do this.

I would love the idea of the current color scheme and uniforms, but ball and glove logo on the hats. At least as a Sunday cap or something.

The current colors with ball & glove would be awesome. I've seen it suggested on this forum before and I fully agree, I wish they'd do this.

To me, it's the uniform and the gold not the logo. The M with barley and ball and glove are both great logos. If the Brewers were to keep the current set, I just wish they would lose the clunky Brewers cursive on the front and replace it with a M with barley over the heart like the Yankees NY. That cursive drives me nuts as the angle of Brewers varies as it goes across the chest from uniform to uniform.

To me, it's the uniform and the gold not the logo. The M with barley and ball and glove are both great logos. If the Brewers were to keep the current set, I just wish they would lose the clunky Brewers cursive on the front and replace it with a M with barley over the heart like the Yankees NY. That cursive drives me nuts as the angle of Brewers varies as it goes across the chest from uniform to uniform.

I agree the Brewers script is bad. I find it boring and bland. The M and barley logo I'm rather indifferent to. I wouldn't mind going back to something like the original Brewers scheme with the block M and lettering.

The M with the barley logo needs a refresh. Its an unfortunate mix of brush lettering with a serifed typeface. I think the "Brewers" would look better if it was ascending and not a crown shape as well. The typography that accompanies it is also poorly done. Hey Brewers front office, I'll help you with that if you want.

The one uniform I rarely hear anyone say they like is the pinstripes - I love it with the block lettering M on the cap and the crown shaped "Brewers."

Have the ball and glove logo with the baby blues now and then.

I don't even mind the occasional 80s or is it 90s one in small doses.

Formerly AKA Pete

Honestly, just wish the Brewers, and the Bucks for that matter, had a timeless look like the Yankees or Dodgers do. At least we have the Packers.

Personally, I think the current jerseys are that, especially the home ones.

Totally agree that the current white home ones are classy & classic. The road grays are okay but kinda drab -- that's the gray, though, on any uniform.

To whomever responded that they think the current home whites are kinda uninspiring, what the heck are the Dodgers & Yankees ones, then? They're incredibly boring. Part of what I love about the current uniforms is that they're they're subtly modern yet still simple, classic, & classy -- the modern slant being what makes them light years better IMO than the Dodgers, Yankees, Red or White Sox, Cubs, Tigers, etc.

The M with the barley logo needs a refresh. Its an unfortunate mix of brush lettering with a serifed typeface. I think the "Brewers" would look better if it was ascending and not a crown shape as well. The typography that accompanies it is also poorly done. Hey Brewers front office, I'll help you with that if you want.

The one uniform I rarely hear anyone say they like is the pinstripes - I love it with the block lettering M on the cap and the crown shaped "Brewers."

Have the ball and glove logo with the baby blues now and then.

I don't even mind the occasional 80s or is it 90s one in small doses.

To me, the 1970-77 uniforms & logo were very plain and uninteresting, and there's a great reason every team got rid of the baby blues by the mid-'80s (though KC took a little longer) -- like bell-bottoms, it was just an ugly, dated look that's best if it remains in the past.

Several years ago, when at season's end the Brewers announced an alternate uniform would be coming during the winter, I kept hoping it would include the ball-glove logo in the current colors. I think it was clancyphile who had several cool possible uniform versions he cooked up & posted in a thread at the time. The result, instead, was the Retro Friday uniform we still see. That uniform has grown on me, but I'd still prefer to see it re-styled in an updated version and with the current navy/gold color scheme.

As I've stated on several other occasions, I was super bummed in the winter of '93-'94 that the ball/glove logo was going because it was brilliant and the best logo in all of pro sports at the time. But I loved the new ones so much at the time. It took a couple versions to get the updated look right (the overlapping MB "Motre Bame" idea was a cool idea with some concept/design flaws), but I still love the current look that that process got us to.

Archived