Brewer Fanatic

Why won't Davis take a walk?

Crash2303
Green isn't on the 40-man, so that does complicate things. As for Morris, not sure why he should "finally given a chance" when he didn't deserve one before. He's working on deserving one right now, especially with another homer today. I'd just rather wait...he screams Kevin Barker to me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green isn't on the 40-man, so that does complicate things. As for Morris, not sure why he should "finally given a chance" when he didn't deserve one before. He's working on deserving one right now, especially with another homer today. I'd just rather wait...he screams Kevin Barker to me.

Hellweg is going to the 60 day leaving us at 39. Blazek hasn't exactly been inspiring yet. So it's not all that complicated.

As for Morris, this is really a game of semantics sometimes. Finally as in we've been talking about him potentially getting a shot for the last couple years. Finally as in he was coming off a year in which he put up a .303/.357/.563 line with 28 HR's in 136 games in AA, we lost both Hart and Gamel to knee injuries and we handed the 1st base job the following year to who? Yuni and Alex Rodriquez and Maldanado who posted respective OPS' of .595/433/520 played in 90 games at 1st base while Francisco played in another 67 posting at somewhat respectable .733 OPS, but playing terrible D. All in all giving us the worst production at 1st in the majors? Finally as in despite the fact that he struggled a bit last year in AAA at 25 years old(despite still showing some power) we stuck with just absolutely terrible 1st basemen.

I don't think I ever inferred that he'd been so good he'd forced out hand, rather he's been our best 1st basemen at the upper levels for the last 2 years while we've had absolute garbage there.

As for Barker...I have no idea if he is or not. We're going back 15 years to compare the two. They're both lefties who played 1st and roughly the same size. If he's simply John Jaha sans his one big year I'd be fine for a left handed bat until Aram comes off the DL.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davis has certainly picked up his game this month. He's got an .834 OPS in May, and while he still doesn't walk much, his entire game looks better.

There's still a lot of room for improvement from Khris, but it's nice that he's not seen as a liability of late.

He looks much better at the plate and has been pretty solid for over a week now. Great to see.

Exactly.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140527&content_id=77057078&notebook_id=77057238&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Perhaps his early season struggles have something to do with this. Seriously, what the heck is wrong with people?

It's Chicago.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Community Moderator

After hearing the ESPN fantasy baseball guys talk about Khris and his chase rate, I looked this up on Fangraphs. I think you will find it very interesting.

% of pitches swung at, outside the strike zone, for Khris Davis:

2013 (in MLB) - 31.7%

April 2014 - 39.8%

May 2014 - 25.2%

Looks like someone is making adjustments! I hope it's not just a fluke of "seeing the ball better." Stay hot Krush!

Interesting that 1/2 of his walks this season have come in the last 23 at-bats.... hopefully the adjustments he's making will continue

That was the crazy thing about Davis - his history demonstrated he took walks at a good clip. To suddenly have a 1% walk rate was just insane (think about that - his walk rate in April was 1% - staggeringly bad). It had to get better, especially considering in the minors he typically had 12-13% walk rates. I'm just happy he's got things back together. I thought a stint at AAA was in the cards for him, but lucky for us, he's got his act together and hitting well. He's got an .895 OPS and a .322 OBP in May. In addition to walking more (around 7% in May), he's cut his strike outs down from 32% to 21% of ABs.

I don't delve too much into trying to figure out specific counting stats for a guy, but I figured Davis could be a 25-30 homerun, .270/.330/.500/.830 guy, or thereabouts.

I (like just about everyone, I assume) didn't expect him to be a .950 OPS guy like he was in his brief playing time last year, but I knew he wasn't the .650 OPS guy he had been through the first 6 weeks of the season.

Archived