Brewer Fanatic

Roenicke is too conservative with challenging plays

Schlitz001
Verified Member
Have the replay official buzz the umpire if he sees a likely missed call and then quickly inform that lead umpire if the call should be overturned or not. Problem solved.

Sounds nice but

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

-Yogi Berra

Have you watched college football lately, this takes forever

I watch tons of college football and sure sometimes it takes too long, but more times than not calls are decided pretty quickly.

FWIW, if baseball went to something similar to college football, i'd like a rule instituted that the replay official has a strict two minutes at most to make a decision and if at that point he still is unsure, the call on the field then stands no matter what. You can watch a lot of replay angles in two minutes and if it's still inconclusive, it's time to move on. Replay should mainly be about getting the clearly wrong calls right, not so much the ones where it has to be viewed countless times and with multiple freeze frame still images which take much longer to decide and to often can be strongly questioned if overturning the call on the field.

Unless UW is playing a team from the PAC 12. Then there will be a review which clearly shows the call on the field to be correct, yet it will be overturned anyway in order to benefit the West Coast team (see UW vs Oregon St, 2012)

I hate replay. Do away with all of it, in all sports. Here's why:

1) Not everything is reviewable. Balls/strikes have a bigger effect on a game than anything else, yet that is not reviewed. Instead we're supposed to get all worked-up over a saft/out call at 1B, and whther the manager should have reviewed it. Meanwhile, the HP umpire is wildly inconsistent and forces a pitcher to have ten 2-1 counts, instead of 1-2 counts. The cumaltive effect of that is far greater than any single play.

Football, same thing. PI calls are huge, but not reviewable. In college football, the officials can completely botch the end of the game (See Wisc/AZ State) but they review an out of bounds call in the 1st qtr. In college basketball we stop the game for 5 minutes to try to jusge if someone intentially elbowed someone in the face, but don't review basket interference.

2) The calls that do get reviewed are still often wrong. So what's the point?

3) Most of all though, it sucks the enjoyment out of the game. Sports is about moments. Sudden moments that cause jubilation or heartbreak. That is being taken away from us. Big TD to win the game? Hold on, don't get excited...wait for the review. Ok....after 5 minutes....NOW you can be excited. I hate that. Hey....what a spectacular throw from Braun to gun someone at home. Maybe not....let's wait and see. Will it get challenged? Will it hold up? That's not sports.

Turn on ESPN or MLB Network, and what are they talking about? What was challenged today. Why it was challenged, was it a good use of challenge, did they reverse it, should they have reversed it? Yuck.

Sports are played by humans and should be officiated by them. Mistakes will be made, and as fans we can debate those calls. Heck, has anything even changed in that regard the more replay is used anyhow? There's no turning back now, but I long for the day already when something happened and you had an immediate reaction without immediately thinking about whther that play will stand or not.

The thing that bothered me was that he did not use wang today with a big lead.I guess 6 run lead in the night was not enough.

I was literally yelling at my TV when I saw Henderson out there.

Getting Henderson's velocity and confidence back is more important than getting Wang his MLB debut.

I don't think they want that debut to be in the late innings of a game with a lead, unless maybe it's like a 10 run lead.

My concern with bringing him into a game like yesterday's would be what you do if he, for example, puts the first 2 men on base. You don't want to get the other team started on a big rally and you don't want to have to yank the pitcher after 2 batters.

Wang not getting into a game is the downside to the fact that the Brewers have been in every game so far. Ideally you want his debut to come when the team is down by more than a couple of runs so you can give him more leeway if he gets off to a rough start. Better to write off a game that you're probably going to lose anyway than put a game that you have a good chance to win at risk.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Blown calls have been apart of Baseball for decades and hasn't hurt the game one bit. I hated Football for opening this can of worms and am saddened that Baseball, as well as other sports, has adopted it as well. I am actually glad to have a manager who doesn't feel the need to run out on the field to question every close play, only those that are clearly egregious. I think that approach shows respect for the Umpires and the game of Baseball.

Blown calls have been apart of Baseball for decades and hasn't hurt the game one bit.

Tell that to the 1985 Cardinals.

Yeah, but they deserve it!

;)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Blown calls have been apart of Baseball for decades and hasn't hurt the game one bit.

Tell that to the 1985 Cardinals.

Fair Enough. But for every blown call also benefits someone else. Kansas City was pretty pleased with Denkinger's blown call at 1st. Helped them win game 6 and the series :)

I can certainly understand the need to get the call right. Roenicke's successful challenge tonight on Segura's tag is a good example how it should work. Baseball has a lot of close plays. I just hope we're not headed to where we're challenging every single one of them.

I really like how the replay was handled tonight. Segura did get the tag down in time and the call came down quickly to change the play to an out. That saved at least one run.

Agreed. Kudos to the replay team and Ron. Who knows where the game would have gone from there if the play stood. We know now that they haven't given up on challenging.

I really like how the replay was handled tonight. Segura did get the tag down in time and the call came down quickly to change the play to an out. That saved at least one run.

Agreed. Kudos to the replay team and Ron. Who knows where the game would have gone from there if the play stood. We know now that they haven't given up on challenging.

I'm not sure what you mean by quickly. I thought it took way too long for a call that obvious to the naked eye. As soon as the headphones were on it should have been changed. There should have been no discussion about safe or out. No discussion about where to put runners. The whole thing should have taken 30 seconds tops, but took a few minutes.

Archived