Brewer Fanatic

2014 Regular Season Divisional Prospect News

Polanco, Coulter, and 33 year old Tsuyoshi Wada of the Cubs.

Offensive Players of the Week

For the week ending April 13

Pitchers of the Week

For the week ending April 13

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting... this is just looking at 2005 but worth a read.

How the Best Pitching Tools Translate to the Majors

By total WAR and total RA9-WAR, prospects recognized for their curveballs have more or less doubled the figures produced by pitchers recognized for their fastball, their slider, or their control.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, prospects recognized for their sliders have been most likely to assume a relief role (as suggested by that group’s lowest-overall median games-started rate). Sliders, which typically feature more lateral than vertical movement, tend to neutralize same-handed batters, but are vulnerable to opposite-handed ones. Accordingly, pitchers who rely on that pitch might find themselves relegated to relief roles, in which they might be more easily deployed in situations where they possess the platoon advantage.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Cards' Alex Reyes who was pushed to 104 pitches in his first outing of the season against the T-Rats is profiled here.

Reyes Stretching The Limits

- Plato

- Plato

Baseball America Wednesday Chat With Matt Eddy

Mick (Chicago): Are there any position prospects from Europe, S. Africa, Australia, or New Zealand, beside Kepler worth following in the minors?

Matt Eddy: The others in the 2014 Prospect Handbook are Twins lefty Lewis Thorpe (Australia, 2012), Royals shortstop Marten Gasparini (Italy, 2013), Mariners righty Dylan Unsworth (South Africa, 2009), Pirates shortstop Gift Ngoepe (S Africa, 2008), Red Sox lefty Daniel McGrath (Australia, 2012) and Reds left fielder Donald Lutz (Germany, 2007).

Justin (Arizona): Javier Baez's K/BB ratio concerns me and I think he could be the bust out of the new "Core 4". Bryant, Almora and Soler (who has the best ratio) seem less likely to fail in the majors. Do you or scouts think the same?

Matt Eddy: Yes, I think it’s an issue. Like a young Alfonso Soriano, Baez will chase out of the zone, but he doesn’t have to square up the ball to drive it with power. This in turn leads to aggressive approach and expanded hitting zone. Ultimately, this probably will have an effect on Baez’s AVG and on-base pct, but probably not his isolated slugging or HR output.

Tyler (NJ): Tyler glasnow y has he missed the first 2weeks ?

Matt Eddy: Glasnow tweaked his back in spring training, and you can understand why the Pirates, in light of the Taillon news, are proceeding with caution.

Dave Walker (North Branford, CT): Should there be concerns over higher profile closers i.e. Kenley Jansen, Trevor Rosenthal, Joe Nathan losing their roles?

Matt Eddy: Given his age and “dead arm,” Nathan is the one I would most worry about. Jansen and Rosenthal should improve their velocity and command as the season progresses. Looks like Rosenthal is down about 1 mph from last year’s fastball average, but that should improve as the weather warms (assuming he’s healthy).

- Plato

- Plato

Polanco has just been unreal, once Super 2 status has passed you gotta believe the Pirates will call him up. Winkler isn't all that toolsy but he can hit, the Reds did well with that pick, and of course Kris Bryant continues to mash. Unfortunately no Brewer prospects made the list, I thought Coulter had a chance with his 3 HRs but his AVE wasn't high enough for the week.

Prospect Hot Sheet (April 18): Jon Singleton Assaults PCL Pitchers

4. Gregory Polanco, rf, Pirates

Team: Triple-A Indianapolis (International)

Why He’s Here: .409/.458/.727 (9-for-22), 3 R, 2 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBIs, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Polanco has proven he’s human. After swinging and missing at just six pitches in his first 11 games, he has swung and missed three times in the past two games. That’s about the only minor victories IL pitchers have had against the giant lefthanded hitter. Polanco has surprising patience, understanding of his swing and developing power. Travis Snider and Jose Tabata shouldn’t be looking to put down long-term roots in Pittsburgh.

12. Jesse Winker, lf, Reds

Team: high Class A Bakersfield (California)

Why He’s Here: .370/.496/.556 (10-for-27) 8 R, 2 2B, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 5 BB, 8 SO

The Scoop. Scouts wonder about Winker’s defensive skills in the outfield, but they don’t have many concerns about his bat. The sweet-swinging lefthanded hitter has five consecutive multi-hit games and 14 hits in his last nine. Winker has an advanced approach at the plate with plenty of power potential. Yes, he’s playing in the California League, but he spent this week on the road at San Jose and Stockton

IN THE TEAM PHOTO

Kris Bryant, 3b, Cubs: It didn’t take long for Southern League pitchers to decide that they didn’t really want to challenge Bryant. The Double-A Tennessee third baseman produced three doubles and a home run this week along with two steals, but mainly pitchers pitched around him. He drew six walks, which explains his .316/.519/.632 line. After walking 11 times in 36 games last year, Bryant has walked 10 times this season.

NOT-SO HOT

Alen Hanson, ss, Pirates. Promoted to Double-A Altoona last July, Hanson didn’t hit a whole lot (.679 OPS in 35 games), and the hits continue to not fall in 2014. The 21-year-old switch-hitter is hitting .196 overall after a 3-for-21 (.143) week in which he tallied no extra-base hits and seven strikeouts against two walks. Hanson did steal three bases in four tries and ranks third in the Eastern League with five total.

- Plato

- Plato

Prospect Hot Sheet Chat With Ben Badler (April 18)

Ron Moriconi-Starkey (Manchester, CT): Springer got the early call up, if the pirates start to stuggle, do we see Polanco before July?

Ben Badler: The Pirates are just manipulating service time with Polanco. I’m sure the public reason will be something about how he needs to polish his baserunning or learn to tie the laces on his cleats the Pirates Way or some or other silliness, but he’s clearly their best option in right field right now. If I were them, I would do everything I can to lock him up to a long-term contract right now and bring him up immediately. In fact, I’d like to see more teams lock up their best prospects who haven’t played in the major leagues yet to long-term deals. But unless that happens, Polanco probably won’t be up until mid-late June.

Matt (TX): Theo has repeatedly said the cubs pitching prospects are underrated. Is he just talking up his guys or does anyone share his opinion?

Ben Badler: The pitching in their system was terrible when he took over. It’s better now, especially after getting C.J. Edwards. They have some interesting arms behind them, but nothing beyond what most teams have.

Darryl (NY): Is Ben Lively for real? 23K's to 0 walks is amazing at any level above Highschool. Thanks

Ben Badler: It’s looking that way. The Reds have had success finding guys who’ve had atypical mechanics that scare away other teams, but they’re able to repeat their deliveries and throw strikes. It’s not like he’s a soft tosser, either—it’s consistently low-90s with a lot of life and up to 95. He could be a steal.

John (Baltimore): Projection for jesse winkerin pros??

Ben Badler: Above-average everyday LF. Potential .300 hitter with lots of walks, 20-25 HR (maybe a tick more some years), then gives back a lot of it in the field.

- Plato

- Plato

BA changed their daily prospect format and instead of just highlighting a couple of a guys in a blog post they cover one or more players from each league each day. I've been going back and forth about linking them because with the quick shots there isn't same amount of information as before. I'm not sure I'll do it on a daily basis, but I thought the Oscar Taveras nugget was worth sharing today

Minor League Roundup: Betts Keeps Bashing

- Plato

- Plato

Ben lively of the Reds and MH already linked Jed Bradley in the LR for today.

Pitchers of the Week

For the week ending April 20

- Plato

- Plato

MH posted the Jimmy Nelson blurb earlier in today's LR but quite a few divisional mentions today.

Minor League Roundup: Everything Moves In Cycles

April 22, 2014 by J.J. Cooper and Josh Norris

- Plato

- Plato

Subscriber Piece

Cubs Downplay Baez’s Struggles

April 22, 2014 by Gordon Wittenmeyer

CHICAGO—Javy Baez, the Cubs’ top prospect, was supposed to be the first of the rebuilding team’s big-name prospects to get to the big leagues, but the slugging shortstop is already off to a rough start for Triple-A Iowa.

A sprained ankle put him on the disabled list barely a week into the season—but not before an ejection and altercation with a teammate raised a different set of concerns...

- Plato

- Plato

Archived