Brewer Fanatic

Braun's Thumb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This must make Buster Olney very sad and for that I am grateful.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not ready to declare victory. Something that bothers him after 5 months off is a problem.

Based on the article I posted above, I am encouraged. He has seemed to find a solution to manage the pain at the plate reasonably well, between a new way of padding and adjusting his swing. If that continues to work, the only real problem will be the blisters and bruises he gets from playing the field. He'll likely have to continue taking regular days off, but that isn't as bad as it could be.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm not ready to declare victory. Something that bothers him after 5 months off is a problem.

Based on the article I posted above, I am encouraged. He has seemed to find a solution to manage the pain at the plate reasonably well, between a new way of padding and adjusting his swing. If that continues to work, the only real problem will be the blisters and bruises he gets from playing the field. He'll likely have to continue taking regular days off, but that isn't as bad as it could be.

Today was encouraging but I'm not going to be convinced for at least a month, or more. The fact that he has a problem that needs to be managed after 5 months off is deeply troubling.

It's not troubling if it doesn't affect his numbers. If he puts up another excellent season we can put this issue to bed. To be honest he's been bothered by this for multiple years now and still puts up excellent seasonal stats. Why is this such a big issue?
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

It's not troubling if it doesn't affect his numbers. If he puts up another excellent season we can put this issue to bed. To be honest he's been bothered by this for multiple years now and still puts up excellent seasonal stats. Why is this such a big issue?

The problem started last year. He sucked after the injury occurred and then he was suspended. So I wouldn't say he has put up excellent seasonal stats with this injury.

I am stumped. In the first or second inning when Braun dove and caught the line drive he thumped the ground with his open right hand in happiness. My first thought was: 'oh, if you have pain so bad you cannot write or shake hands, how can you thump the ground'. Then he ran off twirling the ball in his right hand with a smile. I was confused. Three home runs later, I am more confused.

Obviously it is NOT what it is.

I did notice the home runs were kind of wall scrapers, the ones that go into the third row, not the 30th row.

I don't know what to think. But you cannot hit three MLB home runs in on game if you are finished.

The problem started last year. He sucked after the injury occurred and then he was suspended. So I wouldn't say he has put up excellent seasonal stats with this injury.

Technically he's been injured for a lot longer than that with nagging injuries, but that hasn't really affected him. His stats prove that.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

We all know that Braun will now be questioned about doing so well, with a dose of PED suspicion added in. I wish he'd just run with it and answer with things like:

1. I sacrificed a live chicken.

2. Since I can no longer use modern medicine, I sold my soul to the devil.

3. I'm actually a robot.

He eliminated the front leg kick, which is helping him get the bat through the zone quicker. Simple mechanics. Well, simple after you've taken 100,000 elite level swings!
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I am stumped. In the first or second inning when Braun dove and caught the line drive he thumped the ground with his open right hand in happiness. My first thought was: 'oh, if you have pain so bad you cannot write or shake hands, how can you thump the ground'. Then he ran off twirling the ball in his right hand with a smile. I was confused.

It sure seemed to me he was high-fiving everyone really hard with his right hand.

I know if my thumb was injured I wouldn't be doing that with that hand. I would use my other hand (or close my fist or something) just in case a teammate slapped me in the wrong spot.

Makes me confused also.

Verified Member
We all know that Braun will now be questioned about doing so well, with a dose of PED suspicion added in. I wish he'd just run with it and answer with things like:

3. I'm actually a robot.

That would outstanding. Especially now that his credibility is completely shot, it doesn't matter what he says anyway, right? Might as well have fun with it and take on a new persona. Unless he goes all Mark Mcgwire and is plays it humble and contrite for the rest of his life. That's no fun though.

3. I'm actually a robot.

That would outstanding. Especially now that his credibility is completely shot, it doesn't matter what he says anyway, right? Might as well have fun with it and take on a new persona. Unless he goes all Mark Mcgwire and is plays it humble and contrite for the rest of his life. That's no fun though.

Oddly enough, I think such an approach might get a lot of fans off his back. And after the third or fourth time he made a fool of a "hard hitting interviewer" with it they might just back off as well.

I am stumped. In the first or second inning when Braun dove and caught the line drive he thumped the ground with his open right hand in happiness. My first thought was: 'oh, if you have pain so bad you cannot write or shake hands, how can you thump the ground'. Then he ran off twirling the ball in his right hand with a smile. I was confused. Three home runs later, I am more confused.

Obviously it is NOT what it is.

I did notice the home runs were kind of wall scrapers, the ones that go into the third row, not the 30th row.

I don't know what to think. But you cannot hit three MLB home runs in on game if you are finished.

Nobody said he was finished. He just has a serious nerve problem in his thumb that has been causing him problems. Obviously it was feeling a bit better yesterday. Perhaps the day off prior helped.

I highly, highly, doubt he invented his injury to explain poor performance. If he did, he's got management and doctors in on the ruse, as well.

Some days it's bad, some days it's not. Some days he can manage the pain, some days he can't. Some days it hurts and he still does well, some days it feels good and he does poorly.

Some days it's bad, some days it's not. Some days he can manage the pain, some days he can't. Some days it hurts and he still does well, some days it feels good and he does poorly.

I think it is more that he adjusted his hitting mechanics than it was less pain yesterday. MLB hitting is all about evolution, adjusting either to pitchers or your own physical condition. He changed around the padding on his thumb and eliminated the high leg kick.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived