Brewer Fanatic

I Need a Sitcom

RobDeer 45
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Community has been cancelled. What the hell!?

They jumped the proverbial shark a while ago. If they wanted to make it last they shouldn't have had all the nonsense with the school shutting down and the guy from Talk Soup become a teacher...they should have just found a way to draw out their time in school.

Though it was getting pretty awful IMO before that with those animated versions where you were supposed to be in Abed's head....or..whatever that was. It was kinda funny for a little while.

Modern Family is the funniest show out there.

I also like Californications...though not certain that's a "sitcom."

Silicon Valley has been pretty good.

And I REALLY like Veep on HBO. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is historical.

The Big Bang is clever and really funny at times.

The Middle, Trophy Wife, Mom...they're good for when you don't feel like staying up for another hour and just want to watch a 20 minute show.

The Goldbergs get bonus points when they actually show some of the actual footage taken in the 80's depicting whatever the show was about as you realize it may not be exaggerated THAT badly!

Edit-Brooklyn99 is probably 2nd behind Modern Family. That's a LOT funnier than I thought it would be as I thought Sandberg would just overdo it. But...it's funny as hell.

So...again,

1-Modern Family(By a lot IMO)

2-Brooklyn 99(a distant 2nd, but very good)

2A-Veep

The others are fillers.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Watch Enlisted before you can't anymore.

Its not a great show... but it is funny and entertaining....

That's kinda my take on most sitcoms right now. It doesn't take much to entertain me. If I watch a historical movie, I don't worry about how accurate it is. If I watch a sitcom it doesn't have to keep me in stitches for the whole show.

Enlisted falls into my aforementioned group of "filler," type shows. Funny at times...worth watching if nothing else is on and don't want to start a full hour show or movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Silicon Valley gets a lot of laughs from me.

Yeah! I just watched 6 episodes of this over the weekend. Love it. Mike Judge of Beavis & Butth-head/King of the Hill fame - it's his new show on HBO.

I am a big fan of Scandal and House of Cards. Perhaps just my personal tastes.

A lot of people are, but they're not very funny....

Oh...Scandal is funny...when they're all looking for that terrorist guy and the bad guy from B6-13 thinks he can find him better than Huck and they're all sitting around in the conference room trying to figure out how to find him and Huck just drops him on the ground and without changing expressions says, "he was heavy," I laughed. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny, but I sure thought it was.

Point taken though....not really meant as a sitcom.

Silicon Valley gets a lot of laughs from me.

It's certainly growing on me as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the only network show I watch is Elementary and the new Nova show. Well besides Simpsons and Bob's Burgers.

For sit-coms you'll need to look around the dial for these:

- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, one of the cable FOX channels. Not a show for everyone thou. You need to be a little warped.

- Portlandia on IFC is also great.

Those are about the only sit-coms I watch anymore for various reasons.

Non-sitcom, pretty much anything that AMC does. Check out their new one, Halt and Catch Fire.

BBCA is also putting out some decent shows. Doctor Who of course, but they also have a few others that are worth the time. Orphan Black is excellent! One of the best shows currently in production.

For other Sci-fi, try Continuum. Current episodes wouldn't make much sense thou. Probably have to watch the first few seasons instead of jumping in now.

Best moments from Silicon Valley Season 1:

1. Final Episode, basically the entire part in the hotel room

2. Kid getting slapped in the face

3. When the shirts got delivered and the reactions everyone had to them.

4. Garage mural.

5. The Gilfoyle/Dinesh dynamic

6. Everything (everything) Peter Gregory (RIP - Christopher Evan Welch)

• 10 months later...

If you like Workaholics, you should try Sunny in Philadelphia. Also, Broad City is very good, like the girls version of Workaholics.

I second a lot in this thread, for new active ones Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99, Blackish, are all solid. Last Man on Earth is good but unless they start making a Forte a little more sympathetic they're going to turn some people off, I like that type of thing though. Veep is amazing, Californication, Curb your Enthusiasm, Parks and Rec.

• 2 months later...
After seeing the constant commercials for Other Space during Community I decided to give it a try. Honestly, the main reason I started watching it is because the girl from the AT&T commercials is in it and I think she's quite a hotty. I thought the first episode was pretty bad but the second was better and the other 6 episodes were pretty good. It's just goofy, fun humor. Trace Beaulieu from Mystery Science Theater 3000 voices a robot and has some of the best lines in the whole series.

Anyone watch Archer?

Need to watch it late night on the FX channels thou, not the censored Comedy Central episodes.

Note: If you are overly "politically correct" sensitive, or opposed to fowl language, this is not a show for you. If those things don't bother you, you will love this show.

Final Note: Do not watch if your kids are within listening distance of the TV. Even thou it's animated, it is definitely an adult, rated R, show.

Black'ish is hilarious

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Anyone watch Archer?

It's one my favorite 1/2 hour shows.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Amazon's Betas is a pretty good show. Almost exactly like Silicon Valley, maybe a notch below. Maybe too Silicon Valley for the Amazon-HBO negotiations that were going on when it was cancelled after one season.

Archived