Brewer Fanatic

Question about replay/ejections

Say a player hits a grounder to the short stop who bobbles it. Short stop makes the throw first and the runner beats it out but the ump calls out. Being the heat of the moment the player argues vehemently and is ejected. The call is, however, overturned by replay and the runner is safe.

Is the player still ejected? My thought would be yes - an ejection is an ejection no matter when or why it happens. But the ump was wrong, does that count for something?

That's a really good question. I would imagine that umpires are instructed not to throw any player out unless he says something completely vulgar or inappropriate to the ump on the chance that he did get the call wrong and that it's overturned on the replay. I would guess any ejection would stand though.

Any ejection would stand, however the first reaction by players will be to get the manager out to challenge the call. Think how football players call for their coaches to throw the challenge flag. Players know there is an option so things should be more civil with fewer ejections.

Any ejection would stand, however the first reaction by players will be to get the manager out to challenge the call. Think how football players call for their coaches to throw the challenge flag. Players know there is an option so things should be more civil with fewer ejections.

The NFL has been doing replay for years now so the players are used to it. MLB has been doing it for 2 days. This will happen sometime this season.

I seem to recall in the past Brewers being ejected for just slamming their helmet after being called out so will probably happen at some point as players instantly react sometimes.

Or getting mad at yourself and spiking the baseball into the ground...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Ejections are still going to happen plenty for players/managers arguing balls and strikes, throwing at batters, etc. I do think there's potential for the act of asking for a review leading to arguments/ejections - if a manager or team can't believe they have review such a terrible call and they let the umpire know how bad they think the call is, I can see a salty Joe West or some other ump who feels like he's being slighted popping off and ejecting someone before they even review the play.

I can see a salty Joe West or some other ump who feels like he's being slighted popping off and ejecting someone before they even review the play.

Slightly off topic, but West is the one running the replay command center in New York. I don't think he's on the field anymore.

I can see a salty Joe West or some other ump who feels like he's being slighted popping off and ejecting someone before they even review the play.

Slightly off topic, but West is the one running the replay command center in New York. I don't think he's on the field anymore.

Joe won't let that stop him: "After the review the base runner has been ejected ... and ruled safe."

Archived