Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewers Optimism Thread

torts
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found some great stats about the Brewer's hot start in this article http://statsontapp.com/2014/04/24/can-the-milwaukee-brewers-make-mlb-history-in-april/. The most wins in April is 21 by the New York Yankees in 2003. The Brewers have already broken their franchise record of 16 in the month of April. Only 24 other teams have ever started with 18 wins in April.

Of those 24 teams that did win 18 or more by the end of April in a season, 17 of those teams made the playoffs that year. Of the 24 teams, five went on to play in the World Series that season: Detroit (18 in 1984), Oakland (18 wins in 1989), San Diego (19 in 1998), the Yankees (21 in 2003) and Boston (18 in 2013). The Tigers, A’s and Red Sox won the World Series that year; the Padres and Yanks were on the losing end that season.

I know it is early but seeing a 5.5 game lead in the division is pretty nice. Plus we are already up 7 on CIN and 8.5 in PITT

Even though this season is going great; I fully expect to go down to STL next week and get spanked again :)

Hoping for that not to be correct. Brewers prove me wrong

Too bad he didn't list the teams that missed the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to find that almost none or even none of them would haved missed the playoffs under the current format once they hit 18 win mark. The '87 Brewers missed the playoffs for example, but would have easily made it with the expanded playoffs.

I thought last night's win against the Cards was incredible considering the current state of the Brewer's roster. I pretty much chalked it up as a loss when they were down 3-0. Even after the Brewers tied it up, when St. Louis got runners in scoring position in both the 9th and the 10th with less than 2 outs, I pretty much thought it was over. Great, great win.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

THIS RULES!~!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 2 weeks later...
2 of 3 from the Yanks! next up 3 against Pittsburgh and 3 against the Cubs! AW YEAH!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 3 weeks later...

How's this for Optimism?

32-22 Still holding a 2.5game lead on the division. And the next 20games? All vs. under .500 teams. Cubs, Twins, Pirates, Mets, Reds, and DBacks. Realistic to say 13-7 record which then puts us at 45-29 nearing mid point on the season.

What Khris Davis is doing at the plate really makes this offense exciting now. The HRs+doubles give us a lethal bat at the bottom of the order to either drive runs in (like just now) or to start an inning off either putting a run on the board or a runner in scoring position.

The pitching is holding together honestly sans some RRR mismanagement. I have a lot of faith in our starters to continue putting up starts that keep us in the game and it's up to our potent offense to supply it with enough runs. This is a team that can go win 10 straight and I'm thinking it happens final 3games vs. Minnesota/3 game series vs. Pitts/ 3 game series vs. Mets and the first vs. Cincy ;)

ARam is nearing a return which will coincide with sparking that 10 game run!

The season is exactly 1/3rd over and we are at a 96win pace. Also, as bad as the month of May played out, we still have a shot at a .500 month with two wins over the Cubbies. I don't know that I can EVER complain about a .500 month.

Melvin has managed to turnover talent from within with guys like Davis and Gennett recently and Lucroy several years back, and through shrewd deals that brought Segura and Gomez. He's also has arms poised to slide into rotation spots as they open up. All this with one of the lowest rated farm systems. No, he hasn't built a juggernaut but he's put together a roster that in years when injuries don't derail them, can often compete for the postseason and it's a roster that only needs attention in one or two spots a year.

Community Moderator
Melvin has managed to turnover talent from within with guys like Davis and Gennett recently and Lucroy several years back, and through shrewd deals that brought Segura and Gomez. He's also has arms poised to slide into rotation spots as they open up. All this with one of the lowest rated farm systems. No, he hasn't built a juggernaut but he's put together a roster that in years when injuries don't derail them, can often compete for the postseason and it's a roster that only needs attention in one or two spots a year.

Was having a text discussion last night with two Brewer fans about this very topic. Just talking about what he's pulled off. We really have had a chance to compete for the post season for several years in a row. That's nothing to sneeze at, being in such a small market. We actually look like we are in a good place, despite not having blue chippers in the minors.

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Best record in the NL!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that the A's have outscored opponents by over 100 runs and we're only in June. That's what I came up with for a guess when I was trying figure the same thing out earlier this evening.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't get espn playoff % calc. They have the A's at 99% they have a 6.5 game lead in their division. We have a 5.5 game lead and are only 73% and San Fran is at 82% and only has a 4 game lead

They are meaningless. Just like the top 100 prospect analysts sheets. Heck even the top 50.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I don't get espn playoff % calc. They have the A's at 99% they have a 6.5 game lead in their division. We have a 5.5 game lead and are only 73% and San Fran is at 82% and only has a 4 game lead

They are meaningless. Just like the top 100 prospect analysts sheets. Heck even the top 50.

I'm rather surprised they think it is anything at all seeing they hardly ever mention us unless we lose and you never see our game listed on their main MLB page so you have to search their website to find any recap of our games. :rolleyes They do have a clip of the wild pitch from yesterdays game and a link to the recap on the main page but that's because of the crazy play there.

Archived