Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewers Optimism Thread

torts
Anyone get the feeling that this could be a special season? It seems like the Brewers are catching all the lucky breaks right now. The defense has had sloppy moments. In prior seasons that would have cost the Brewers games. Instead other teams have made errors and the Brewers have benefited from it. The Brewers are the ones getting the lucky bounces for once. I don't know maybe I'm drinking too much of the kool-aid, but this team gives me a good vibe. Last time I felt like this was 2011. I don't know if this team is better. The lineup is still great and the pitching is doing very well at the moment. What I know for sure is better is the left side of the infield. Segura is 100x better than Yuni. Ramirez beats Casey McGehee by a country mile.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great starts are no guarantee and a whole bunch of other standard caveats apply. However barring a pretty epic collapse a great start in the 2 wildcard era does almost guarantee meaningful games well into September.

The season is just past 1/16th complete, so I am going to temper any playoff expectations just yet. Still, it is reason to be optimistic any time of the year when you look at the division standings and see a 3.0 game lead on the Cardinals and Pirates, and a 6.0 game lead on the Reds.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Obviously lots of baseball to play but even if the Brewers go 75 - 76 the rest of the way, they finish with 84 wins. If they play slightly better than .500 which is certainly doable they could push 90 wins for sure.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Don't know if this has been discussed. Before the season, Fangraphs did "positional power rankings" -- rankings of projected WAR for each team at each position. They projected the Brewers' starting pitchers to rank 25th, last in the division. They projected the Brewers' relief pitchers to rank 29th, also last in the division. This seemed odd to me at the time. While I know our guys will regress some, I'm pretty sure those projections need updating.

Don't know if this has been discussed. Before the season, Fangraphs did "positional power rankings" -- rankings of projected WAR for each team at each position. They projected the Brewers' starting pitchers to rank 25th, last in the division. They projected the Brewers' relief pitchers to rank 29th, also last in the division. This seemed odd to me at the time. While I know our guys will regress some, I'm pretty sure those projections need updating.

Pitching WAR is useless. Statistical projections are even more useless.

That power ranking is a stupid way to do things. The projections aren't exact enough to parse fine to begin with and then to pretend you can do much with ordinal ranking is stupid. Its probably the most click bait thing fangraphs does out side of its fantasy stuff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
3 more wins to free hamburgers!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Don't these starters really seem to be feeding off one another right now? Trying to beat the last guys performance. I think they are having fun competing and it's so fun to watch. They also appear to be pretty close knit. I love it!

Well I look forward to Garza's start tonight if he is going to try and beat Lohse. Yesterday was easily the best start of the young season by the Brewers.

The great start by the big league club and pretty strong starts by several AAA pitchers makes me extremely comfortable with the high level organizational pitching.

It is really hard to find a glaring hole in the team right now. Everything is clicking. Perhaps the biggest issue is depth on the offensive side but we haven't needed to be worried about that yet.

Kyle Lohse has the worst ERA of our starters at 3.05 which is also the second worst ERA of our pitchers as a whole. Only Zach Duke is worse at 4.9. Henderson is the only pitcher with a WHIP above 1.2.

So far great Start but these are 3 games aganist the Cards That i am i looking forward to.

We need to be able to Beat this team to really compete for the division Title.

yes! beat those birds!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Pitching WAR is useless. Statistical projections are even more useless.

Take out the pitching part and you have my opinion on WAR.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My optimism stems from the fact the rotation and pithcing in general is for real. Will they stay this good? Of course not. Will there be injuries? Sure, already have one with Kintzler. But there is depth this year. Thornburg, Nelson, Smith and Fiers for the rotation. Wooten, Hand, Fiers, Gorzo, and I'm sure others that aren't coming to mind for the pen.

That pitching will keep them in the mix all year, and if they still need a bat come August, they can go out and get one. With Ramirez and Weeks coming off the payroll next season, I don't doubt for a minute Mark A would go out and trade for a bat if it's needed. Better yet, that bat may not be a rental.

My optimism stems from the fact the rotation and pithcing in general is for real. Will they stay this good? Of course not. Will there be injuries? Sure, already have one with Kintzler. But there is depth this year. Thornburg, Nelson, Smith and Fiers for the rotation. Wooten, Hand, Fiers, Gorzo, and I'm sure others that aren't coming to mind for the pen.

That pitching will keep them in the mix all year, and if they still need a bat come August, they can go out and get one. With Ramirez and Weeks coming off the payroll next season, I don't doubt for a minute Mark A would go out and trade for a bat if it's needed. Better yet, that bat may not be a rental.

Ramirez's option will be picked up.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

#1 on MLB.com Power Rankings, scores zero runs! LOL I love the Brewers! TIME TO CLIP MILLERS WINGS TONIGHT, TAKE IT TO THEM!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

13-5 and 15 of the 18 games have been against teams that were in the playoffs last year. If they had been playing the likes of the Cubs, Marlins, and Padres that would be one thing. If they can hold serve on the seven game road stand at STL and CIN, they have a two month+ stretch from May 5th until the All-Star break where the schedule is pretty soft and other than four at ATL and three at PIT the few tough series they have are at home.

Baseball Prospectus playoff odds officially over 50% (6th highest in the NL) as of today. I didn't write down exactly where they started, but I believe it was the low 20's.

Awesome! Keep it going Brewers! I love this team - especially the rotation

this is AWESOME!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived