Brewer Fanatic

2014 Brewers Optimism Thread

torts
AWWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! THATS WHAT IM TALK ING ABOUT

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's very early and bullpens as a general rule are volatile, but if Henderson can eventually get back to who he was last year and Thornburg can keep command of that nasty changeup, this Brewers pen could be really good, teamed with a quality rotation.

I initially wasn't a fan of keeping Duke on the roster, but if he can keep getting lefties out, the team can allow Will Smith to pitch full innings. Kintzler looks great so far and while i'm sure K-Rod will have his share of frustrating outings over the season, i give the guy credit. He lost velocity from his days with the Angels, but he's re-invented himself via that great changeup he now has, which he can throw at any time in the count. I still worry about home runs every time he throws that 90mph fastball, but hitters often are late on it because they are hinking about his change.

Even if they aren't world beaters, it's still nice to have two veterans who have played 1st base on the roster - particularly nice that they hit from opposite sides of the plate. Both Reynolds and Overbay have gotten off to solid starts...not great and in places just so-so, but they're not going to be the black hole of suck that was 1B in 2013. Assuming good health, there are enough pieces on this team to be good, and the roster seems diverse enough to beat teams in multiple ways.

Too early to tell statistically, especially with Segura's rough night at SS on Saturday, but I think their defense is going to be pretty solid along with having a team with a good OBP at the plate - two things not typical of the Brewers for quite some time.

"Both Reynolds and Overbay have gotten off to solid starts"

Well Overbay's one hit was very timely, I'll grant him that. I'll even overlook Reynolds' 7 K's in 12 AB's because his power is awesome and he offers versatility. Jury is still out though on whether 1B will continue to be a black hole. The 1B position is now batting .143/.250/.333 through 6 games. That doesn't count the one start for Reynolds at 3B. Solid or just low expectations?? Lets see where they are through 30-40 games.

Well Overbay's one hit was very timely, I'll grant him that. I'll even overlook Reynolds' 7 K's in 12 AB's because his power is awesome and he offers versatility. Jury is still out though on whether 1B will continue to be a black hole. The 1B position is now batting .143/.250/.333 through 6 games. That doesn't count the one start for Reynolds at 3B. Solid or just low expectations?? Lets see where they are through 30-40 games.

Take a look at the title of the thread. ;)

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewers up a whole 1 spot to #17 in ESPN's weekly "power rankings" after going 4-2 against last season's NL East winner and last season's World Series champ...while the Marlins jump 15 spots for going 5-2 at home against the Rockies and Padres.

As pointless as power rankings are for baseball, it's still fun to try and find any sliver of sane reasoning behind them week to week.

Brewers currently lead MLB in ERA and 2nd in WHIP.

4-2 against 2 very good teams while arguably our two best players from last year had pretty poor 1st weeks.

Not to get to far afield, but who are you saying were the two best players from last year?

I mean Gomez has started the season on fire as has Lucroy. Are you talking about Segura?

I was referring to Braun and Segura yes. But I understand Lucroy and Gomez are as valuable if not more to the Brewers than Segura.

I am wondering today what the upside is for Khris Davis. Can he throw a 900 OPS out there? Can he be a perennial all star? Did he ever show on any prospect list? If not how can that be, the kid as always hit?

Take a look at the title of the thread. ;)

Was responding to a comment that was historical in nature and just wanting clarification of "solid", not being negative per se. I think Reynolds is an upgrade over last year.

I am wondering today what the upside is for Khris Davis. Can he throw a 900 OPS out there? Can he be a perennial all star? Did he ever show on any prospect list? If not how can that be, the kid as always hit?

I have been thinking about this since the game ended on Sunday. He has been the guy that most intrigues me, because of his potential upside. Between the starting pitching and him, I've got enough optimism to fill up this thread! I'm trying to stay calm, it's so early, but it's hard.

Did he ever show on any prospect list?

Baseball America ranked Davis as the Brewers' 16th best prospect after the 2012 season...no way there were 15 other prospects in the Brewer minor leagues at that time that will become better MLB players than Davis with how he's performed recently.

since recent top 100 lists have barely included any Brewers, I highly doubt he ever got close to making any MLB-wide prospect lists. Those lists are typically weighted heavily toward top draft picks and international signings anyway, and look more at a player's ceiling than what their actual minor league production or development progress may be. Players like Davis get overlooked because the physical tools aren't as dominant as the potential stars that dot those top-100 lists.

Tim Kurkjian keeps talking saying, watch out for the Brewers. I don't know if this is good or a curse. But I'm taking it as positive, so I'm throwing it in here!

Ken Rosenthal has as well, which would put PrinceFielderx1 in an awful predicament.

Those same guys also all projected the Brewers 4th. They just want to looks smart with these "Watch Out For" proclamations just in case the Brewers are actually good.

Nothing happened in the first week of the season that should have changed anyone's mind dramatically about the team.

Tim Kurkjian keeps talking saying, watch out for the Brewers. I don't know if this is good or a curse. But I'm taking it as positive, so I'm throwing it in here!

Ken Rosenthal has as well, which would put PrinceFielderx1 in an awful predicament.

I'm looking very good right now about the Brewers. These writers are 5 paces behind me.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Those are the batting averages of today's Brewer starting lineup after today's game. And the scrub hitting .240 belted 3HR...not a bad way to kick the season off offensively for who are likely to be the core everyday players for this team.

Dear MR Braun.

While it is tough to admit, the black fedora fits you quit well in downtown Philadelphia. Speaking of downtown, please quit taking our pitchers there.

Sincerely,

Philip De Antente',

The Philadelphia haberdashery and hat emporium.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Its a good start and a bit under appreciated nationally. It seems odd to be 17th in the ESPN power rankings with these kind of pitching performances. However, I wouldn't say that it is unusual for Boston or Philadelphia to struggle out of the gates. Its just funny how as soon as the local media panics over a thing like Braun's thumb, and he has a performance like tonight's, then becomes a national ESPN headline "Braun answers boos with 3 blasts" to stir up all the haters.

Another reason for optimism is the Reds look simply awful so far. Billy Hamilton is proving that old adage that you can't steal first base. This Reds team has problems.

if only that other red team could struggle we'd be in great shape!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Another reason for optimism is the Reds look simply awful so far. Billy Hamilton is proving that old adage that you can't steal first base. This Reds team has problems.

I cannot believe they are hitting him leadoff. I thought they fired Dusty Baker.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived