Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Transactions -- 2014 Regular Season

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brevard Press Release:

VIERA, Fla. – The Florida State League office announced today that three members of the Brevard County Manatees, INF Orlando Arcia, OF Jose Sermo and RHP Mark Williams, have been suspended for violating the league’s On-Field Behavior Policy.

The suspension was handed down following an incident that occurred on Monday, July 7 in a game between the Manatees and the Clearwater Threshers at Space Coast Stadium. Arcia, Sermo and Williams were cited as instigators in the incident and were thus handed the following suspensions.

Arcia will be suspended for one game, effective on Saturday, July 12.

Williams and Sermo will be suspended for three games, each.

Williams will begin his suspension on Saturday, July 12, while Sermo will begin his suspension on Sunday, July 13.

Players serving suspensions from the Florida State League are required to leave the field before the game starts and may not be in the dugout or press box during the game. They must also change into civilian clothes and either leave the ballpark or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of their team’s bench or bullpen.

The Manatees also announced that INF Brandon Macias transferred from Huntsville back to Brevard County. The roster is at 24 active players, one below the Florida State League limit, with no players on the disabled list.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

HERRERA CALLED UP; HECKATHORN, MAY ACTIVATED FROM D.L.: Utilityman Elian Herrera -- who batted just .125 (2-for-16) in five games during his most recent stint with the Sounds -- has been recalled by Milwaukee, where he takes the roster spot of Jean Segura (bereavement list). Catcher Lucas May and reliever Kyle Heckathorn have been activated from the Sounds’ disabled list.

Words seem meaningless in this post, but as will be expressed throughout the baseball world, condolences to Jean Segura on the tragic loss of his nine-month-old son.

i know nothing about this guy but wanted to post.

Brewers Player Dev ‏@BrewersPD 17m

The Brewers have signed Hector Gimenez to a minor league contract & assigned him to Huntsville. He will replace Richardson, who is on the DL

Expand

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The link from the Baseball Cube includes data back to the beginning of Gimenez' career, and Rotoworld updates go all the back to 2004 for the 31-year-old switch-hitter.

Last night in Huntsville marked Gimenez' 6th outfield appearance as a professional (1,008 games).

Not sure why the Brewers abandoned the independent leagues, you can find athletic 24-26 year-olds you may be able to develop into a helpful OF bench piece.

The link from the Baseball Cube includes data back to the beginning of Gimenez' career, and Rotoworld updates go all the back to 2004 for the 31-year-old switch-hitter.

Last night in Huntsville marked Gimenez' 6th outfield appearance as a professional (1,008 games).

Not sure why the Brewers abandoned the independent leagues, you can find athletic 24-26 year-olds you may be able to develop into a helpful OF bench piece.

Excellent point. A perfect example of an indy outfielder that deserves another shot would be J.P. Ramirez, a 24 year old former Nationals farmhand, who's hitting .342/.380/.498 for Laredo in the American Association. This guy was a pretty good prospect not that long ago when he hit .296/.341/.470 as 20 year old in Class A Southern Atlantic League. His other years were decent too.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Welcome back, Irving!

Via the team --

The Brewers have claimed INF Irving Falu off waivers from San Diego and designated RHP Kevin Shackelford for assignment.

We've documented Shackelford's AA struggles all Link Report season (yet he was fantastic back with the Manatees in-between Huntsville stints). Bet they're hoping not to lose him to another organization, but at this time, they value the minor league veteran Falu's versatility more.

Because Falu has an option left, you imagine he'll be assigned to Nashville while remaining on the 40-man roster.

EDIT: Yes, optioned to Nashville.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Welcome back, Irving!

Via the team --

The Brewers have claimed INF Irving Falu off waivers from San Diego and designated RHP Kevin Shackelford for assignment.

We've documented Shackelford's AA struggles all Link Report season (yet he was fantastic back with the Manatees in-between Huntsville stints). Bet they're hoping not to lose him to another organization, but at this time, they value the minor league veteran Falu's versatility more.

Because Falu has an option left, you imagine he'll be assigned to Nashville while remaining on the 40-man roster.

EDIT: Yes, optioned to Nashville.

Yes! My Irving Falu jersey can be broken out.

Now, let's hope that Maysonet jersey can make a comeback!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Andy Moye has been placed on the DL with Huntsville, retroactive to July 15, via the Brewers Player Development Twitter feed.

Tough go for the 26-year-old, that's his second stint in the 2014 season (hamstring back in April). No word on nature or severity of injury this time.

You'll remember he exited after just two scoreless innings of work on Sunday.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Joshua Kusnick (agent39), we learn that 25-year-old RHP Manny Barreda, drafted in the 12th round in 2007 out of an Arizona high school by the Yankees, has signed as a minor league free agent with the Brewers.

Used primarily in relief, especially in recent years, Barreda has reached AA (Trenton, Eastern League), full stat lines here via Baseball Reference. Look for him to likely be assigned to Huntsville.

Here's a recent article --

Barreda has come a long way from his southwest roots

By Paul Franklin / The Times of Trenton

June 25, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/gT3PdSa.jpg

(Photo Courtesy Dave Schofield)

TRENTON — Helicopters fly over his house, checking a main drug route and entry points for illegal aliens along the Mexican border.

“It’s really common to see patrol helicopters every day and see a couple of chases a week,” Manny Barreda was saying last weekend, a few hours before the relief pitcher struck out four batters in two innings for the Trenton Thunder.

“Even us, they recognize our cars and we come up in the computers, but I’ve been stopped a few times to make sure we aren’t carrying any aliens or drugs.”

When he is not pitching — including winter ball as he did the past two years in Puerto Rico and Mexico — Barreda lives with his parents, older sister and younger brother in Amado, Ariz., about 20 minutes from Mexico.

“There’s a checkpoint five minutes from my house,” he said. “We go into Mexico about once a week, though, to buy fruit and other stuff we don’t have in the States. My parents still carry on their Mexican traditions.”

That includes baseball. His 51-year-old father still plays as a catcher in a local senior league. His son has a built-in bullpen mate when he’s home and keeping his arm loose.

“I never knew anything but baseball growing up,” said Barreda, who will turn 26 this fall. “My earliest memories are picking up a baseball and a glove.”

There were other activities as well, of course.

“We’d take our trucks and go out to the desert and hang out,” he said. “That was our thing. Sometimes we’d go camping. I’ve almost been bit a few times by a rattlesnake. We were just a bunch of country boys.

“The town is growing now. There was no stoplight at our high school, no McDonald’s. We didn’t have anything. Now there’s a stoplight, a McDonald’s and gas stations.

“Arizona is all about the scenery,” he added. “It’s mostly desert, but you go to Sedona, Rim Rock, and you’ll have the best sunsets you’ve ever seen in your life. It’s not dry up there. There’s rivers, canyons, and it actually snows in winter. I’ve never been to the Grand Canyon. To us, we see all nature’s stuff where we are.”

Besides, they’d rather play baseball.

The Southwest also has reservations and missions, remnants of a history that encompasses both Native American and Mexican culture.

Barreda talked about Father Eusebio Francisco Kino, who in the 17th century founded more than 20 missions in the area while it was under the control of Spain. Among them is San Xavier del Bac, a historic Spanish Catholic mission Kino founded in 1697, is located about 10 miles south of downtown Tuscon on the Tohono O’odham San Xavier Indian Reservation. The mission’s church, which dates to 1783, is the oldest intact European structure in Arizona.

“There aren’t many left,” Barreda said of the reservations. “Fifteen minutes from home, there’s a bunch of forts still standing where the conquistadors used to be. We used to take field trips there all the time.

“Up in Flagstaff you can see replicas of teepees still on reservations, but just to bring in money from tourists. You can use their roads, but instead of a city cop stopping you, the ‘rez’ (reservation) police stop you.’’

When Sahuarita High School was built in 1998, a few miles from Tuscon, Native American pottery was discovered. Barreda said a lot of it remains on display in the school’s front office.

“It’s pretty neat to be part of all that stuff,” said Barreda, who graduated from Sahuarita in 2007.

Barreda had Tommy John surgery on his right arm and missed nearly three full seasons, from 2008 to 2010. On his return he was clocked throwing 97 miles per hour. He is currently 4-0 with an ERA of 2.68 for the Thunder.

And he wants to keep playing the game he’s played forever.

“I still have a dream to play in the big leagues, even though there have been tough times when I thought about quitting,” Barreda said. “But I always had people who helped me get over that. They helped me realize I still had what it takes to put it all together, and I think that’s where I am now.

“If I don’t follow this dream, I’m always going to live a life of regret.”

Here's Josh's tweet from earlier this week --

Work never stops. Bad - had a really good prospect released on all star game day. The good - got him a job with a new club exactly two minutes later. Boom

Adam McCalvy notes that Barreda has twice been a big league spring training invite.

RHP Andy Moye has been placed on the DL with Huntsville, retroactive to July 15, via the Brewers Player Development Twitter feed.

Tough go for the 26-year-old, that's his second stint in the 2014 season (hamstring back in April). No word on nature or severity of injury this time.

You'll remember he exited after just two scoreless innings of work on Sunday.

I would've rather seen Wagner promoted up a level.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Media Notes:

The Brewers have announced infielder David Denson has completed his rehab assignment with their Arizona League affiliate. Denson has been activated from the Timber Rattlers disabled list and will join Wisconsin for tonight’s game. Denson was injured in a game at Beloit on May 23. Catcher Paul Eshleman has been placed on Wisconsin’s disabled list.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
another move

Brewers Player Dev ‏@BrewersPD ·3 mins

The Brewers have acquired OF Josh Fellhauer from the Reds in exchange for cash considerations. He will report to AA Huntsville

26-year-old LH bat OF Josh Fellhauer (Baseball Reference page) will rejoin fellow Cal State-Fullerton prodcuts Nick Ramirez and Erik Komatsu with Huntsville.

He was an outfield mate of Khris Davis and was selected 17 spots ahead of Davis in the 7th round of the 2009 draft.

Fellhauer has split time fairly evenly in the three outfield spots over his career. Not a speedster, with only 35 steals in his six pro seasons (30 times caught).

Not a power guy, either, but OBP skills are there (.350 career, .388 at the AA level).

Here's a may 2014 Q&A feature with Fellhauer.

Via the @BrewerNation, Fellhauer is the latest to be added to the list of many Brewer farmhands on Twitter.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

AZL Cubs Bottom of the 4th

Pitching Change: Seth Harvey replaces Angel Ventura.

Tyler Alamo grounds out, pitcher Seth Harvey to first baseman Juan Ortiz.

Roney Alcala grounds out, first baseman Juan Ortiz to pitcher Seth Harvey.

Varonex Cuevas singles on a ground ball to right fielder Yunior Santana.

With Kevonte Mitchell batting, wild pitch by Seth Harvey, Varonex Cuevas to 2nd.

Kevonte Mitchell grounds out, shortstop Jake Gatewood to first baseman Juan Ortiz.

That was the 8th and final Maryvale rehab appearance for 26-year-old 2013 Brevard County closer Seth Harvey, who is working his way back from Tommy John surgery.

His next stop will be Wisconsin, as tweeted by his teammate Tanner Norton.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I'm curious as to what the status of Nicky Delmonico is. He's no longer listed on the BC roster and his milb.com player page shows him on the temporary inactive list. He hadn't played in a game for the Manatees since July 7th, and you'd think if it was injury related he'd just go on the DL. Given his late start to the season for personal reasons, hopefully everything turns out alright for the 22-year-old Delmonico.

As seen on the FSL transactions page, Delmonico's placement on the Temp Inactive became official today (Sunday 7/20), with INF Greg Hopkins transferred from the Stars to Brevard.

The Manatees report that RHP Tyler Spurlin (stats) of the Timber Rattlers has been promoted to Brevard County, but has also been placed on their disabled list, retroactive to 7/19.

wow he's moving up quick, was in AZL last year, up to A+ this year? into it, even if he's just chillin on the DL rightnow

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via @BrewersPD:

RHP Chad Thompson has been promoted to Wisconsin; LHP Tyler Alexander has been transferred to the AZL Brewers

Thompson made 18 starts in Wisconsin in 2012, pre-serious shoulder issues that caused him to miss the 2013 season; Alexander had allowed 11 runs over his last three outings covering 6.1 innings.

Archived