Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Transactions -- 2014 Regular Season

Mass Haas
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via @BrewersPD:

The Brewers have released (RHP) Drew Ghelfi. We wish him well.

The LaCrosse native was drafted in the 25th round last year out of the University of Minnesota (pro stats 2013-14).

It was a nice story at draft time last year for Ghelfi, who turns 24 this September (feature story).

Video here as well...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via the Brewers:

RHP Austin Ross has been transferred from Brevard County to Huntsville; RHP Taylor Williams transferred to Brevard County.

Much deserved for Williams, and for Austin Ross, too. While some may wonder about a lack of a bump for Brevard's Tyler Wagner to Huntsville, Ross has been very solid, turns 26 next week, and has made a productive systematic return from Tommy John surgery in 2012. Congrats, guys.

The only thing these moves hurt is Wisconsin's playoff chances. Step up, boys, you're playing well, but the losses of Anthony Banda and Williams are tough to overlook.

Via Adam McCalvy --

Gord Ash says Wei-Chung Wang will be promoted to make his next appearance for the Class A Wisconsin TimberRattlers on Sunday.

That's disappointing as I have a prior commitment, I'd love to watch him pitch.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Curious whether Wang would be eligible for the Arizona fall league this year...thinking the Brewers are going to try and get him as many innings as possible this season in effort to start him off at high A in 2015. Getting a few AZ fall league starts would help increase the IP, and it's likely that many of the Brewer pitching prospects are going to be at/beyond their innings limits by then.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Todd Rosiak:

Catchers Adam Weisenburger and Shawn Zarraga have been flip-flopped, with Weisenburger going to Nashville and Zarraga to Huntsville.

Big fan here of the 25-year-old Weisenburger, congrats to him on his AAA debut. Zarraga posted a .559 OPS in 17 AAA games, audio we had heard from Manager Rick Sweet indicated defensive work was in progress. That won't be a concern for Weisenburger, who I think may be a 40-man roster addition (and the potential September 3rd catcher).

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brewers acquired Jay Jackson from the Pirates for cash. AAA arm that was a top 100 prospect back in 2010.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140807&content_id=88414550&notebook_id=88422100&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Career numbers

Jackson, unless re-signed by the Brewers, will be a minor league free agent this fall. He'll turn 27 in October.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From this Q&A with Pirates catcher Tony Sanchez --

"I think Jay Jackson's got a lot to give to a ballclub, whether it be the Pirates or any other ballclub. I caught him in spring, and I've caught him a lot here in Indy. Every time out, he's got a plus fastball with a plus slider, and two other pitches that he mixes in there to keep guys off balance. He's done a really good job every time he's thrown to me. There's not a lot of talk about him, but he's got the potential to be a really great arm out of the bullpen."

Anyone have any insight on Wang and the T-Rats? Will he stick around Wisconsin for a while, or is the plan only one start?

Looks like he is scheduled to start Saturday, but I still wonder if he will stick around a while, or if he'll be moved along...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Although just 20 years old, Dominican Summer League LHP Marcos Padilla is in his 4th season there, and his release was announced by the Brewers today.

For his career, Padilla (B-Ref page) posted an 8.36 ERA over 46 appearances, all but one in relief, walking 69 men and throwing 18 wild pitches in 61.1 innings.

Maybe he should have focused on position player work -- June 11, 2012 box score, Padilla reaches base four times as an emergency DH.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via the Brewers --

Hunter Morris has been reinstated from DL w/Nashville & transferred to Huntsville. Kentrail Davis has been placed on the temporary inactive list.

Not messing with a good thing with 1B Matt Clark powering bombs for the Sounds.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This story may have the makings of a movie --

Back in June 2003, this happened:

RHP Jon Huizinga, signed from the Kalamazoo Kings of the Frontier League to Beloit; Huizinga was the first indy signing of the Doug Melvin era who was given the opportunity to make his affiliated debut with the Brewers' organization, as he went undrafted. Twenty-three middling relief appearances for that Beloit squad followed, then Huizinga was released at the end of spring training 2004.

But here's the cool thing -- it's hard to kill a dream. Huizinga, a product of Michigan State, would return to Kalamazoo briefly in 2004, but then missed most of that season and all the 2005 season with a serious arm injury. Pitching regularly in four independent leagues between 2006 and 2011, Huizinga continued to work in pro ball throughout those years without ever returning to affiliated ball.

After 2011, there is no record of Huizinga pitching professionally (Baseball Cube page). He will turn 35 years old this October.

EDIT/UPDATE: Huizinga was a pitcher/coach in the Freedom Independent Baseball League in 2012-13, but those stats aren't picked up online at Baseball Reference or Baseball Cube.

But the Brewers have signed him to a minor league contract today, and he'll report to Brevard County to take the spot of RHP Damien Magnifico, who heads to the disabled list with an undisclosed (as of now) injury.

Can't wait for the Manatees' excellent audio production staff to interview Huizinga, who gets another shot at affiliated ball with the same organization who gave him a chance more than 11 years ago. No idea if he was signed out of a open tryout or not, but there must be a very cool story behind this.

Nice. Find Huizinga (and his equally unique look) on Twitter here.

Huizinga's Pitching Coach website.

From that website:

Jonathan Huizinga grew up in small town in MI, the oldest of three children to Curt and Kristi Huizinga. Like many boys, he dreamed of one day playing under the bright lights. He played his college baseball at Michigan State University where he played for four years. Despite going undrafted, he has been playing professionally since 2002. In 2004, Jon suffered from what was said to be a career ending arm injury. Instead he came back better than before with an improved pitching nutrition plan for recovery and peak performance and performance enhancing workouts and conditioning. Jon Huizinga has been signed by the Milwaukee Brewers and Colorado Rockies, has played for multiple independent league teams (Kalamazoo Kings, Calgary Vipers, St Paul Saints, Winnipeg Goldeyes, Rockford Riverhawks, Schaumberg Flyers, Yuma Scorpions, San Angelo Colts, Peoria Explorers), and played Winterball in the Veracruz League in Mexico. This past season, 2013, Zinger was a pitching coach and pitcher in the Freedom Professional Baseball League in Arizona. Zinger throws from multiple arm slots (side arm, 3/4) and has been clocked as high as 97 MPH and has a reputation of being tough on right handed hitters. He throws a spiked curve, sinker, change up, cutter, and split finger. Throughout his career, Jon has pitched as a starter, reliever, and closer.

Note: The Rockies did sign Huizinga (again out of indy ball) prior to the 2007 season, but he never appeared in a game for one of their affiliates prior to his spring training release.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
And we had no one from the Timber Rattlers to come up? WOW, I just don't get it...please someone explain this one to me...Must be a maxed out innings thing or a friend of a friend looking for a one month job.

We're only talking 2-3 weeks left in the season, and the Timber Rattlers are fighting for their own playoff spot. I doubt anyone in Appleton sees this as a slight. Every organization needs to think outside the box once in a while, and while this is way outside the box, I think it's fun and interesting. Enjoy it for what it's worth. Taylor Williams got his call up, Anthony Banda was traded - heck, if anything, the more fringe players in the system should be thankful the Brewers hardly ever dip their toes in the independent league waters anymore.

Archived