Brewer Fanatic

Your 2014 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers -- Latest: RHP Harvey Martin February Audio

Mass Haas
I'd be inclined to rate McFarland and Ratteree ahead of all the pitchers, both are pretty young and doing very good things with the bat. I just need to see more from the pitchers either on the stuff side or crazy good results. That's really more of a compliment to the position guys than a knock on the pitchers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Tristan Archer, the Brewers 21st round pick in 2013, is being followed by his local Tennessee newspaper --

Archer shines in latest outing

Tim Hayes | Bristol Herald Courier

To say Tristan Archer was effective on Tuesday night for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers would be a major understatement. The former Sullivan South High School star was fantastic.

“Absolutely I would say that was my best outing of the year,” Archer said. “And I believe it ties my longest outing of the year as well.”

Archer pitched six scoreless innings of relief for the Low-Class A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers in their 1-0, 12-inning Midwest League victory over the Cedar Rapids Kernels.

Archer took over for equally brilliant starting pitcher Zach Quintana to begin the seventh inning of a scoreless game. The next five innings were of the hitless variety.

“I have to give my defense a lot of credit also for making some great plays behind me,” Archer said. “It was a lot of fun pitching in a scoreless game, as well as it was intense. That was one of the most fun games I have gotten to pitch in.”

Archer’s only scare came in the top of the 12th when Cedar Rapids got runners on first and second with one out, but the right-hander got an inning-ending double play.

In the bottom of the 12th, teammate Rafael Neda’s walk-off single gave Wisconsin the win.

Archer is 3-3 with four saves and a 3.44 ERA this season for the Rattlers. He’s made seven starts and eight relief appearances in his role as the swingman.

“For me, I think this season has been a little up and down,” Archer said. “I had some control issues early that I have fixed lately which is helping me get ahead and put me in good pitching counts. And again, I have to give credit to the defense behind me and the catchers who have been really good.”

Ann Mollica photo / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tricities.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/9a/39aa378c-031f-11e4-a7de-001a4bcf6878/53b60b818b81e.image.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Fox 11 News --

GRAND CHUTE – Kids often fantasize about playing professional sports together. The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers have a trio; Taylor Williams, Taylor Brennan, and Clint Coulter who’ve made that dream a reality. The three players grew up playing with and against each other in Washington. They are all now members of the Brewers organization and playing for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in 2014. Click on the video to learn more about their connection.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Prospect Clint Coulter making strong progress in his second minor league season

By Dennis Punzel | Wisconsin State Journal

GRAND CHUTE — Clint Coulter put college on hold when he passed up a scholarship to Arizona State in favor of a contract offer from the Milwaukee Brewers in 2012.

He’s getting an education just the same. This one is from the school of hard knocks.

But after a trying 2013 season in which his body was battered and his confidence shaken, Coulter has re-emerged as the intriguing young power prospect the Brewers envisioned when they drafted him in the first round just over two years ago.

The 6-foot-3, 222-pound Coulter earned a starting spot in last month’s Midwest League All-Star Game with a league-leading 11 home runs and hitting .282 over the first half of the season with the Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. He also ranked second in the league in RBIs (41), slugging percentage (.551) and OPS (.978).

Despite cooling off after the break, Coulter still ranks among the league leaders in home runs (16), RBIs (63) and on-base percentage (.401). He homered in three consecutive games last week, drawing mention in Baseball America’s weekly “Prospect Hot Sheet.”

“I’m having a lot more fun this year,” said Coulter of his second go-round with the Timber Rattlers.

Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson sees a big difference in the player who a year ago “was real unsure of himself.”

“He’s a confident young man, learning from some of his past experiences,” Erickson said. “That’s what we call it around here. You don’t fail, you just learn from your experiences.”

For Coulter, most of those experiences last year were painful.

After a solid debut with the Brewers Rookie League team in Arizona in 2012 (.302 average, 5 homers and 33 RBIs in 49 games), the organization decided to test him by starting him in the Midwest League in 2013.

But Coulter struggled (.207, 3 homers, 13 RBIs in 33 games) and suffered the first of a series of injuries before being sent back to advance Rookie League Helena. Things didn’t get any better there and he ended up spending time back in Arizona.

“Chaos,” is how Coulter sums up his 2013 season. “I just couldn’t get in a groove. I kept getting injured and then going to a different team. It’s like your first day of school all over again.”

Coulter’s first injury was an oblique strain that sidelined him for six weeks. After rehabbing in Helena his return to action lasted nine games before he suffered a strained medial collateral ligament in his knee and a strained adductor, which benched him for another six weeks. When he returned again he had a bone bruise on his left hand, which led to a cartilage tear in his right hand that required offseason surgery.

“It was a whirlwind,” Coulter said. “I spent half the season injured. It wasn’t so much that I lost my confidence, it was just frustrating. You can’t get better if you’re not out on the field.”

Coulter, who will turn 21 on July 30, has managed to stay on the field so far this year. But the lingering question for him is where on the field he will be.

Coulter was drafted as a catcher despite limited experience at the position and the Brewers pledged to give him an opportunity to grow into the role. What he lacked in polish, the organization figured he could make up for with toughness, work ethic and athleticism befitting a former state champion wrestler.

“I take pride in my catching,” said Coulter, whose All-Star selection tellingly was as a designated hitter. “On days when I don’t hit well I make sure that my catching is on-point. If you hit, they’ll find a spot for you, but I want to stick behind the plate.”

Erickson is pleased by the defensive progress he’s seen in Coulter, especially considering he had caught only a handful of games as a high school player in Camas, Washington. But at the same time, he understands why some observers might be skeptical that Coulter can remain there and see his future at first or third base or maybe a corner outfield spot.

“He wants to catch and there is improvement in his game,” Erickson said. “He still has a ways to go to become a mid-average big league catcher. He told me he caught like 18 games over the summer playing in the Northwest and then we asked him to come over here and catch almost every day in a professional league. We may have thrown him into the fire a little bit quick.

“If I had to answer the question right now, I’d say we should keep catching him. But I think we also should introduce some corner positions to him. If I look at him and grade him, which I have the last couple years, his bat is his major league tool at this point. That’s what projects. I don’t think his catching alone is going to get him to the big leagues. His bat is going to get him to the big leagues.”

Coulter has had to make some adjustments at the plate as well.

Erickson said that last year Coulter would often lunge and commit too early, leading him to chase pitches out of the strike zone. As a result he’s more than doubled his walk rate this season from a year ago.

“He’s much more balanced in his setup,” Erickson said. “His hands don’t move and he doesn’t commit his hands until he knows he’s swinging at a pitch. You can tell a lot about a hitter by watching how they take pitches.

“Last year he was trying to run into just about every pitch he could. To his credit, he learned from that and made some adjustments.”

Just call it part of the baseball education process.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Major milestones help River Ridge grad Seth Harvey get through Tommy John surgery, recovery

By Meg Wochnick, the Olympian (WA)

Achieving milestones, both major and minor, is how Seth Harvey negotiated his road to recovery stemming from two words pitchers fear: Tommy John.

Harvey, a 2006 graduate of River Ridge, is in his fifth year in the Milwaukee Brewers organization, and hasn’t pitched a full season since his All-Star year with Single-A Appleton (Wisconsin) in 2012.

Thirteen months following Tommy John surgery, a procedure in which the elbow’s ulnar collateral ligament is reconstructed, the 26-year-old right-hander’s comeback trail is nearing an end. He was reassigned to the Appleton Timber Rattlers on July 20 after rehabilitation in Arizona since June 2013.

Harvey knows the game was close to being taken from him. Motivation replaced devastation with every passing day.

“Breaking it down to chunks helps keep your mind focused,” he said. “You can really see your accomplishments.”

While some pitchers feel an instant pop after injuring their elbow, Harvey’s ailment was gradual. For two days while pitching for Advanced-A Brevard County (Florida) in May 2013, his forearm was sore but not hurting. A third day of soreness led to a precautionary MRI that revealed what Harvey said was a “completely torn” ligament. Several weeks later, he was in Milwaukee for a surgery. He did not pitch after mid-May but still was named to the All-Star team after compiling 10 saves — third in the league at that time.

Rehabilitation in Arizona took 13 months, and was not without a few minor setbacks. Harvey didn’t get full range of motion in his elbow for two months. He didn’t throw a baseball until the fourth month, and was hesitant at first. A sports psychologist helped him work through his issues.

“A lot of trust issues had to be addressed,” said Harvey, who hit .385 with six home runs as a high school senior, leading River Ridge to the then-Pacific-9 League title. “(Throwing) was great, but it also was terrifying at the same time. The first time was amazing.”

He already has had one relief appearance for the Timber Rattlers, a team where he earned his first of two All-Star appearances, and said he’s had no ill effects from a surgery and recovery that already has claimed 28 major leaguers — 45, including minor leaguers — in 2014. He said his fastball has hit 94 mph.

For pitchers who need the surgery, which has become prevalent in recent years in the major and minor leagues, Harvey has this advice: remain positive, stay focused, and attack the challenges.

“It’s all part of the process of getting back on the field,” Harvey said.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball academy paved Ortega’s path to professional baseball

Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent Media

Brewers' 2012 6th round SS from Puerto Rico the latest in a fine line of Tim's player Q&A sessions...

Dan Powers photo

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9d0e778ad99dbdbde1c7588c821b9a24921097ca/c=166-0-3083-2188&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Appleton/2014/08/10/-apcrattlersvssnappersjump1061114djp0344.jpg20140611.jpg

• 1 month later...

Via the Brewers --

Congrats to Brewers prospect Michael Ratterree on being named a Minor League Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner. Ratterree won the award in RF.

MiLB.com: Wisconsin Timber Rattlers right fielder Michael Ratterree put up a .992 fielding percentage with 252 putouts and 10 assists over 126 games. Ratterree completed two double plays and committed only two errors on the season.

Who knows turborickey, you may see Lara next year, Harrison? That would be fun.

True...

I get attached to these guys every season, that is the downside to minor league baseball I guess. When the t-rats belonged to the Mariners, I didn't really care that much about the players, but now that they are "future" Brewers, it is a lot more fun, and I feel more invested in the team itself on a personal level...If that makes any sense...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thanks to Chris' latest blog post (check it out) --

Curious (Wisconsin): What did evaluators see that kept Taylor Williams off this list?

J.J. Cooper: He might have made the list in a thinner league. Just the depth of the league. He’s a future power reliever in a league where relievers have a real tough time making the list.

• 4 months later...

RHP Harvey Martin, the undrafted free agent signing of June 2013 talked to the folks at the "27 Outs Podcast"

You can find a link here -- be sure to choose the February 10th podcast with Martin's name included.

Go to the 9:30 minute mark for the start of the Harvey Martin interview.

NOTE: Above that, you'll see a podcast link that indicates Brewers' farmhand Garrett Cooper was on last week, but there was a miscommunication and Cooper will be rescheduled.

Archived