Brewer Fanatic

Your 2014 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers -- Latest: RHP Harvey Martin February Audio

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Indications are that we will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements as early as Monday 3/31 or Tuesday 4/1. The formal announcement will come directly from the Timber Rattlers, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2014" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Only because the Timber Rattlers' amazing Director of Media Relations / Radio Announcer Chris Mehring was comfortable enough to mention himself this week that he lost his dad, we will note it here.

The services are this week, and I'm sure Chris will know that all of you will be keeping him in your thoughts.

It's very possible that the Brewers have not authorized the release of the Wisconsin roster yet, but since Chris is so involved, thorough and meticulous in all-things Timber Rattlers, under the circumstances, we'd be comfortable waiting until lineups are announced as late as Opening Night on Thursday to find out.

Our condolences to you, Chris, and thanks for all your efforts -- past, present, future.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
really surprised arcia isn't repeating Wisconsin. after hitting .250 and still being just 19 I figured he'd for sure be a t-rat again. do you think neuhaus will be at short in Appleton?

In articles linked here over the winter, Neuhaus has made it clear he's now a third baseman. I'd also expect him to play at Helena this summer.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rattlers announce tentative 2014 roster

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Training camp is over in Arizona and the 2014 Wisconsin Timber Rattlers are heading for Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. The roster for the Midwest League affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers is almost set for the season opening game on Thursday, April 3 against the Peoria Chiefs.

There are six Timber Rattlers who are members of Baseball America's Top 30 list of Brewers Prospects, seven players who have played for the Rattlers prior to the 2014 season, and eleven players who were selected by Milwaukee in the 2013 draft.

The Milwaukee Brewers have announced that Lance Roenicke, son of Brewers manager Ron Roenicke, will join the Timber Rattlers as a player/coach on the coaching staff of manager Matt Erickson. Roenicke, who played with the Rattlers in 2012 and 2013, is listed on the disabled list to begin the season. The remainder of Erickson's staff is Elvin Nina as the pitching coach, Chuckie Caufield as the hitting coach, Athletic Trainer Jeff Paxson, Strength and Conditioning Coach Mike Hoffman, and video intern Garrick Chaffee.

Catcher Clint Coulter, who began the 2013 season with the Timber Rattlers, is the #11 prospect in the Brewers system according to Baseball America and he returns to Wisconsin as the highest rated prospect on the team. Other players listed in the Baseball America prospect list include: RHP's Taylor Williams (#19) and Barrett Astin (#22), outfielder Omar Garcia (#26), LHP Anthony Banda (#27), and outfielder Michael Ratterree (#28).

Ratterree, a 10th round pick out of Rice University in 2013, has already made some noise in the state of Wisconsin. Last year's Pioneer League Most Valuable Player hit a home run at Miller Park off Jeremy Guthrie in the Brewers exhibition game on March 29. Ratterree and Garcia will be joined in the outfield by Johnny Davis and Jose Pena.

Chris McFarland is the only 2013 Timber Rattler infielder to return to the team this season. The other infielders to join the team at the start of 2014 are Taylor Brennan, Francisco Castillo, David Denson, Steven Halcomb, and Angel Ortega.

Three catchers broke camp for the Rattlers. Coulter, Paul Eshleman, and Rafael Neda, a member of the 2012 Midwest League Championship squad, will be the backstops for Wisconsin.

Fourteen pitchers have made the trip north. Williams, Astin, and Banda are those to make Baseball America's list. RHP's Rodolfo Fernandez, Preston Gainey, Harvey Martin, and Chris Razo spent time with Wisconsin last year. LHP's Tyler Alexander and Tyler Linehan, and RHP's Tristan Archer and Trevor Seidenberger were drafted in 2013. RHP's Victor Diaz, Zach Quintana, and Tyler Spurlin will round out the pitching staff.

Wisconsin will need to make a pair of roster moves before Thursday's game to reach the 25-player limit.

Fans will get their first chance to take a look at the 2014 Rattlers on Tuesday, April 1 at Fan Fest. The free, open house event will take place at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium from noon to 5:00 PM.

Thursday's game against the Peoria Chiefs is scheduled to begin at 6:35 PM. The first game of Wisconsin's 20th anniversary season features an All Fan Giveaway of former Timber Rattler - and current Brewer - Scooter Gennett. Tickets are available for the game.

The Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium Box Office is open from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM Monday through Friday and Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Individual game tickets for the 2014 Timber Rattlers season are on sale now. Fans may purchase their tickets in person, by calling (800) WI-TIMBER or (920) 733-4152 or online through timberrattlers.com. Tickets for groups of 20 or more may be ordered in person or over the phone.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Slugging (and patient) David Denson looks to get the everyday at-bats for the Rattlers at first base in that roster.

The young man doesn't turn 19 years old until November.

I'm giddy about this kid's future.

20-year-old Venezuelan RHP Victor Diaz is making the jump from two seasons in the Dominican Summer League all the way to Wisconsin for his stateside debut.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

You can click on these two links from our Brewerfan Player Index to see the players still in extended spring training, whether it's for injury reasons or just waiting for the short seasons to begin.

Helena

Maryvale

Reliever Andy Hillis is one guy I was really hoping to see in Appleton to begin, coming off his spectacular debut.

Keep in mind some of the DSL guys were in Maryvale this spring, we'll transfer them to the Maryvale roster shortly.

Slugging (and patient) David Denson looks to get the everyday at-bats for the Rattlers at first base in that roster.

The young man doesn't turn 19 years old until November.

I'm giddy about this kid's future.

You heard it on BF.net first -- David Denson! I realize he's probably a decent bet to join up with one of the short-season clubs once their seasons start (a la Coulter in '13), but you never know. It's going to be exciting to watch him face A-ball pitching.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I might be the biggest Denson fanboy here so I am super excited he is at least starting in Appleton. Hopefully he plays well enough to warrant staying even after short season opens.

Appleton doesn't look to have a whole lot of star power and fun prospects to watch this year but Denson is certainly one to follow.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A must-read from Kyle Lobner at Timber Rattlers media day, great stuff here.

I asked Kyle about David Denson stating that he was 19. All his MiLB.com or B-Ref pages have him born in November 1995, which would make him 18. If he was actually born in 1994, it's still a big jump, just not quite as epic a jump.

Seven players on the Opening Day roster are under 21 years of age, and 14 are 2013 draft picks in their first full professional season.

Nice!

Really like the make-up of this team. I was disappointed that McFarland was not promoted however with Rivera failing to earn a promotion to Huntsville, no way you can have Arcia, Rivera, and McFarland all on same roster. The line-up should have some punch with Ratterree, Coulter, Pena, Brennan, Denson. Johnny Davis will anchor down CF (Tom Flanigan during Brewer Game) and I guess he is as exciting as they come. He is fastest player in the entire farm. McFarland is a very good hitter. Being so young last year at Wisconsin, he should be a much more mature, experienced bat in the line-up this season. Frankie Castillo is another guy to watch and be excited about. Brewers seem to be reasonably high on him. Ortega's bat will not draw the uh and ahs but his defense will follow the line of great defensive SS's in Wisconsin

Pitching wise I'm excited to see Banda and Quintana continue to develop into prospects. Really like Quintana. Taylor Williams seems like he is a guy who who can really excel and develop into a good prospect. Astin is a high pick and hopefully can prove people wrong like Jimmy Nelson did. Many considered him just a safe, save money, relief prospect when drafted. Diaz is a huge wildcard. He wasn't a lights out star like a Rizzi in the DSL was but most have really impressed!

Overall my big follows this season (who im most excited about as prospects) are:

Coulter

Denson

Quintana

Pena

McFarland

T. Williams

Guys who can really jump on map

Ratterree (College hitters in R+ don't excite me....Captain Lou ruined that forever)

Castillo (Brewers have been fairly aggressive with him and he allowed them to release Ra Ra Jenkins who looked promising)

Banda (Young arm and made great strides last season)

Ortega (Outstanding defender, now needs bat to step up)

J. Davis (Dangerous speed. Can never overlook a guy who can flat out fly)

Astin (Interested in what he has to offer. Can he develop into a #4-#5 guy or just a future RP hopeful)

Diaz (I use to do most of the DSL stuff on this forum and I can't tell you anything about him but most be good to go DSL to A)

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff
All of David Denson's MiLB.com or B-Ref pages have him born in November 1995, which would make him 18. If he was actually born in 1994, it's still a big jump, just not quite as epic a jump.

Turns out Denson's birthday is was born 1/17/95, so an extra "1" was pushed out to make it look like November 1995 instead.

2014 will be Denson's age 19 season, which is still fantastic for a full-season test.

I want to see some pitching Prospects get moved up aggressivly need to see some Starters making a push.

I don't want pitchers pushed until they have the stuff to compete well at the next level... Every year there is a college guy who starts fast and people want promoted, but then his stats start to slip a little bit the more times each team sees him.

By the time a young man gets to AA he needs to be able to command his FB and at least 1 secondary offering or he's simply not going to have to success. Certainly some players will rise to the challenge of an early promotion, but dealing with young athletes over the last 15 years, well honestly on average they just aren't as mentally tough as we were at that age for many reasons which I won't get into. To me their confidence is more important than what level they are pitching at and to be fair, who's the last super prospect that deserved to be pushed hard through the system? Gallardo? Players that fly through the minors are special talents with a unique mental make-up, they aren't so easy to come by.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thats interesting that Lance Roenicke will be a player/coach for the TRats. Does that mean his MiLB career is coming to a close to focus on coaching?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Thats interesting that Lance Roenicke will be a player/coach for the TRats. Does that mean his MiLB career is coming to a close to focus on coaching?

Yes, we have two threads on this forum with current features/articles on the topic, our Coaching thread and today's Link Report (the Froberg article).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Coulter ready for another go-around with Rattlers

Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent Media

GRAND CHUTE — As a former state wrestling champion in high school, Clint Coulter knows all about reversals.

He’s looking to pull one off this season in Grand Chute.

The promising 20-year-old catcher is back with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers for his second full year of professional baseball and aiming for different results after struggling with the team during the first half of the 2013 season.

Coulter — a first-round draft pick by the Milwaukee Brewers out of Union (Wash.) High School in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft and the 27th overall selection — played in 33 games with Wisconsin and hit just .207 with three home runs and 13 RBI. He also committed eight errors behind the plate.

Coulter eventually went on the disabled list for two weeks with an oblique strain, and spent the rest of the season in rookie league play. He hit .350 with three homers and 13 RBI in 17 games for the Arizona Brewers, but just .216 with a homer and eight RBI in 20 games at Helena.

Coulter admits that he probably arrived in Grand Chute ahead of schedule last season.

“Last year, I played at a level I may not have necessarily been ready for,” Coulter said. “I was 19 and trying to catch older pitchers. A lot of high school catchers don’t get a chance to play (Class) A ball their first full year. So I was glad I got a shot at it. I learned a lot and took it as a positive.”

Coulter had a strong spring training in Arizona, and Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson expects a spike in play from the 6-foot-3, 222-pound Washington native.

“There’s a maturity factor with guys who come back here for their second year,” said Erickson. “Both Clint and (infielder) Chris McFarland had really good spring trainings. Both swung the bat really well and physically, you can see they put some time in during the offseason. They’re both physically impressive and came into camp in great shape. Both are excited to lead this team this year.”

With 119 professional games under his belt, Coulter feels that he will be more relaxed this season, both at the plate and behind it.

“I’m just trying to refine my skills and be consistent,” said Coulter, who received a signing bonus of $1.675 million from the Brewers. “You always want to put on a good show, but I’m not trying to do too much, not trying to do anything too special.”

Coulter is ranked by Baseball America as the 11th best prospect in the Milwaukee Brewers’ organization and the Brewers are intrigued by Coulter’s upside and his raw power. He showed the pop in his bat during Thursday’s season opener against Peoria when he slammed a long solo homer over the left field wall.

“That felt pretty good,” said Coulter, a right-handed hitter. “Last year, I had an opening-day home run, too. It’s a good way to start. I feel really blessed to be here and I’m ready to go.”

The Brewers like Coulter’s potential as an offensive-minded catcher, but there have been questions about whether Milwaukee will keep Coulter behind the plate, or switch him to the outfield. Coulter is expected to share the catcher’s position this season with veteran Rafael Neda. Coulter served as a designated hitter in the opener, while Neda started behind the plate.

“He (Coulter) is not gonna catch every day, he’s going to get some DH time,” said Erickson. “I’m not exactly sure right now how we’re going to split it. Over the course of a long season, you need two catchers. Hopefully we can keep him healthy and his bat can come alive.

“I know he’s excited about coming back here. He says his body feels good. His lower half feels a lot better.”

Coulter sees himself as a catcher, but will accept whatever role the Brewers organization puts him in. He grew up playing shortstop before switching to third base and eventually catcher, where his strong throwing arm could be utilized.

“You never know what the organization is thinking or what it’s going to do,” said Coulter. “I’m just trying to play as well as I can and let everything take care of itself.”

Coulter is one of eight players on a youthful Timber Rattlers’ roster under the age of 21.

“I guess we won’t go undefeated this year,” joked Coulter following the Rattlers’ 8-4 season-opening loss to Peoria. “We had a lot of guys who hadn’t played in weather like this. It’s also the first full season for some of them and they haven’t played in front of crowds like this. But I like what I see from this team. We’ll be good.”

Clint Coulter, who was drafted in the first round in 2012 by the Milwaukee Brewers, has returned to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers this season. / Wm. Glasheen/Gannett Wisconsin Media

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20140404&Category=APC020602&ArtNo=304080059&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Coulter-ready-another-go-around-Rattlers

Here's to hoping for a big year from Coulter. This organization desperately needs it. And here's to hoping for a position change. Ideally it would be third base but I'll be ok with a move to first base.

I just want Coulter to hit well. He likely won't dabble with another position till at least Fall Instrucs. It's kind of tough in that we want the kids to be great at one position, but it would be nice if even top prospects dabbled with two positions. Instead of needing to learn a new position at AAA, they can simply refine what they've already played

Archived