Brewer Fanatic

Your 2014 Brevard County Manatees -- Latest: RHP Scott Lieser February Audio

Mass Haas
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over at Fangraphs Michael Reed was included in this weeks 'Fringe Five' list of overlooked prospects.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-24/

It’s probably true what Socrates says — about the unexamined life being not worth living. What he omits to mention, however, is that some lives are probably more interesting to examine than others. The author’s? Not so much. Michael Reed‘s, however? Probably moreso — insofar, at least, as he’s produced one of the absolute best defense-independent batting lines in the minors relative to his league. Here, first, is that line: 127 PA, 23.6% BB, 15.0% K. And now here’s how his age (21) compares to the average age of other batters in the High-A Florida State League: below it. And here’s a defensive position he’d probably be playing more of (and playing competently) were he not teammates with Tyrone Taylor: center field. Finally, here’s a notable fact with regard to Reed: he was omitted not just from the relevant top-100 lists, but also even Baseball America’s top-30 organizational list (for a Brewers system, it should be noted, ranked second-to-last).

Not much, but nice to see one of our guys get a little love from a national writer.

advocates for the devil

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought Haniger was going to be the breakout guy this year. Still plenty of time for Mitch, but Reed is really stepping up his game. 30 walks already - that's amazing. And if he can keep up his mini-power spike - that's big. If he can get 10-12 HR in a season he becomes a lot more intriguing than if he gets 1 or 2.

Can Reed really play CF? I know writers say that a lot, but I was just curious if he really had the chops for it. He certainly has the speed and arm.

Can Reed really play CF? I know writers say that a lot, but I was just curious if he really had the chops for it. He certainly has the speed and arm.

No I don't think so, I think those writers are making somewhat of a statistical analysis based on his stolen base numbers and hitting profile.

I didn't like him in CF, not that he was bad, he made all the plays he should, but he didn't make any plays you would think he shouldn't off the bat in either gap, not like a legitimate MLB CF would. And That and I had a discussion about him in the LRs last year and it was difficult for me to put my finger on any one thing that's a smoking gun, he just didn't look the part out there. He was like a much more athletic version of Brady Clark (and I don't mean that in a bad way), just that he was just more solid than he was spectacular.

At the time I thought Haniger was a better CF and obviously having not seen either player in CF this year I still hold that opinion (Erickson went to Haniger first in CF as well when Taylor wasn't available for whatever that's worth). The Midwest League had a bunch of excellent CFs last year which may have skewed my perspective some but Reed looked pretty average for an A ball CF. Even with Taylor taking some bad routes there was an obvious separation between him and either Haniger or Reed in CF. Both Reed and Haniger didn't play many games in CF so admittedly the sample size was small, I probably saw Haniger in CF 6 times before he was bumped up and Reed 4 times over the course of the season.

Michael is a smart player, has above average speed (though not as good as his SB totals would suggest), takes good routes in the OF, has a good arm, is great on the bases, and has a very good approach at the plate. The only thing he doesn't really have is power and I agree that if he could get in that 15HR/season range he'd be very exciting.

Right now offensively he profiles as CF but defensively he profiles as corner OF. Could he be serviceable in CF? Absolutely, but I doubt any defensive metric would even rate him as average at the major league level. With good defenders on the corners who cover more ground than your typical LF/RF types it could work defensively. I guess the other way of looking at it is would the Brewers even care and just go for more offense (assuming of course Richardson & Taylor bomb out)? I don't know but Reed does provide some CF insurance in that respect.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No I don't think so, I think those writers are making somewhat of a statistical analysis based on his stolen base numbers and hitting profile.

I didn't like him in CF, not that he was bad, he made all the plays he should, but he didn't make any plays you would think he shouldn't off the bat in either gap, not like a legitimate MLB CF would. And That and I had a discussion about him in the LRs last year and it was difficult for me to put my finger on any one thing that's a smoking gun, he just didn't look the part out there. He was like a much more athletic version of Brady Clark (and I don't mean that in a bad way), just that he was just more solid than he was spectacular.

At the time I thought Haniger was a better CF and obviously having not seen either player in CF this year I still hold that opinion (Erickson went to Haniger first in CF as well when Taylor wasn't available for whatever that's worth). The Midwest League had a bunch of excellent CFs last year which may have skewed my perspective some but Reed looked pretty average for an A ball CF. Even with Taylor taking some bad routes there was an obvious separation between him and either Haniger or Reed in CF. Both Reed and Haniger didn't play many games in CF so admittedly the sample size was small, I probably saw Haniger in CF 6 times before he was bumped up and Reed 4 times over the course of the season.

Michael is a smart player, has above average speed (though not as good as his SB totals would suggest), takes good routes in the OF, has a good arm, is great on the bases, and has a very good approach at the plate. The only thing he doesn't really have is power and I agree that if he could get in that 15HR/season range he'd be very exciting.

Right now offensively he profiles as CF but defensively he profiles as corner OF. Could he be serviceable in CF? Absolutely, but I doubt any defensive metric would even rate him as average at the major league level. With good defenders on the corners who cover more ground than your typical LF/RF types it could work defensively. I guess the other way of looking at it is would the Brewers even care and just go for more offense (assuming of course Richardson & Taylor bomb out)? I don't know but Reed does provide some CF insurance in that respect.

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply. Appreciate it.

Right now the power development is the big concern, getting A ball guys to walk you isn't too hard but that skill will shrink mightily as he goes up the chain unless he is a really threat when he makes contact. That said he is certainly worth following, and could surprise in the mold of so many other not terribly heralded prospects the Brewers have produced recently.

• 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Four Manatees selected to 2014 FSL All-Star Game

Bradley, Wagner, Poppe and Garfield chosen by North division managers, beat writers and official scorersBy Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. - The Florida State League announced on Tuesday that starting pitchers Jed Bradley and Tyler Wagner, relief pitcher Tanner Poppe and catcher Cameron Garfield were selected from the Brevard County Manatees to represent the North Division in the 2014 Florida State League All-Star Game at McKechnie Field in Bradenton on June 14.

Both Bradley and Poppe have been recently promoted to Double-A Huntsville and therefore will not be able to play in the game.

Bradley went 5-2 with a 2.98 earned run average in 10 starts with the 'Tees. He left Brevard County with a 1.06 WHIP and still ranks sixth in the FSL with 53 strikeouts. Bradley was twice named the Florida State League Pitcher of the Week before his promotion and threw nine shutout innings in a 1-0, 11-inning Brevard County loss at Palm Beach on May 20. Bradley was drafted by the Brewers in the first round of the 2011 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft out of Georgia Tech University.

Wagner, who will take Bradley's spot on the North Division roster, is currently sixth in the league with a 1.94 ERA. He ranks fourth in the FSL with 65 innings pitched and has gone at least five innings in all of 11 of his starts thus far with the Manatees. Six of Wagner's 11 starts have been quality starts and he has not allowed more than three earned runs in any of his 11 outings in 2014. Wagner was drafted by the Brewers in the fourth round of the 2012 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Utah.

Poppe went 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA in 12 appearances with Brevard. He was a perfect 9-for-9 in save opportunities with the 'Tees and began the season with an 11.1 scoreless innings streak before giving up his first run of the year. His nine saves with the Manatees still ranks him third in the Florida State League. Poppe was drafted by the Brewers in the 31st round of the 2013 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Kansas.

Garfield has been named a FSL Mid-Season All-Star for the second consecutive year, as he also represented the Manatees in last year's All-Star Game in Dunedin. He currently ranks second on the 'Tees with 11 doubles and third on the team with 21 RBI. He also recorded a ten-game hitting streak from April 27-May 10. Garfield was drafted by the Brewers in the second round of the 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft by the Brewers out of Murrieta Valley (Calif.) High School.

Jed Bradley, Tyler Wagner, Tanner Poppe and Cameron Garfield (from left to right) were selected from the Brevard County Manatees to represent the North Division in the 2014 Florida State League All-Star Game at McKechnie Field in Bradenton on June 14. Both Bradley and Poppe have been recently promoted to Double-A Huntsville and therefore will not be able to play in the game. (Dennis Greenblatt/Hawk-Eye Sports Photography)

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/0/2/4/77997024/cuts/2014_Manatees_All_Star_college_640x360_stq8cqu6_5biqcos4.jpg

????????? I didn't know just because he is only hitting around .270 right, Tyrone Taylor and his like minor league leading 20+ doubles were going to get him left off the roster. Michael Reed is another guy you'd think could have possibly made it. Congrats to Garfield and Wagner though!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Lieser gets promotion to Class High-A

Andy Rennecke, St. Cloud (MN) Times

Getting told to pack your bags can be very good or very bad in minor league baseball.

When former St. Cloud State pitcher Scott Lieser got a phone call from the Milwaukee Brewers' assistant director of the minor leagues, he didn't know what to think. Lieser was told to pack his bags.

Lieser responded to the man at the other end of the line by saying he was staying where he was and that he was going to pitch as soon as he could.

"I said 'hey, I'm not going home," Lieser said with a chuckle.

Instead, Lieser was told to pack his bags for Florida. He was headed to play for the Brewers' high Class A affiliate, the Brevard County (Fla.) Manatees of the Florida State League. Brevard County plays its games in Viera, Florida.

"He was pulling a fast one on me. The first thing he told me was that the minor league director wasn't happy with me and that I should pack up. I'm glad it was the other way around. I've been throwing well at extended spring training. I kept throwing strikes and doing what I had to do to be called up," Lieser said.

Lieser, 24, admitted he gave himself a fist pump when he heard the good news.

"I called my family and my fiancee and they were all pretty excited. There were a lot of good emotions flowing through me. My dad was pretty proud. That left a lump in my throat," Lieser said.

The Browerville High School graduate got his first action for Brevard County against the Pittsburgh Pirates' high Class A team on June 2. He threw two scoreless innings, didn't give up a hit and struck out two. It wasn't a bad minor-league debut at all.

"I was a little nervous coming out of the pen, more so than I was for the extended spring games," Lieser said. "It was more excited nerves than anything else. I thought I might have gotten the call sooner, but I thought it would have been for the low Class A team."

"I was willing to go wherever they sent me. It doesn't matter now."

Lieser kept his fastball down in his debut and incorporated his split-finger fastball as much as he could. He's adapted to life as a reliever after spending his high school and college careers as a starter.

"I'm the middle-inning relief guy right now," Lieser said. "I'm used to it. I have a good routine going. It's been working so far for me. My arm was was built for being a reliever. I can throw every day and my arm never gets too sore, knock on wood. That's a big thing. It doesn't take me that long to get ready.

"It would be great to start again, but I don't care. I'll do whatever the organization asks of me."

Lieser is just glad to be where he is. Asked if he hopes to get promoted to Double-A by the end of the year, he was very humble.

"I don't know if that's going to happen. There are some guys here who have been to Double-A and want to get back. A lot would have to happen for me for that to happen this year," Lieser said.

"This is such a crazy game. I always keep an even-keel mindset. You can't get too high or too low. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Manatees' trio hit FSL All-Star Game tonight

Michael Parsons, FLORIDA TODAY

The Brevard County Manatees will be well represented in today's Florida State League All-Star Game.

The game, which begins at 7:05 PM in Bradenton (6:05 Central), will feature three members of the Brevard County Manatees. Two others who have already been promoted and will not be attending, pitchers Jed Bradley and Tanner Poppe, were also named.

Starting pitchers Tyler Wagner and Damien Magnifico, as well as catcher Cameron Garfield, will represent the Manatees on the North Division roster.

Wagner, who will take Bradley's spot, is currently fifth in the league with a 2.09 ERA. He ranks second in the FSL with 77 2/3 innings pitched and has gone at least five innings in all of 13 of his starts with the Manatees.

"He can mix his pitches well and not only does he have the stuff but he can pitch," Manatees manager Joe Ayrault said. "Some guys with that type of stuff are just throwers, but he does a great job of utilizing all his pitches."

Seven of Wagner's 13 starts have been quality starts and he has not allowed more than four earned runs in any of his 13 outings in 2014.

Magnifico, who is replacing Dunedin's Daniel Norris on the roster, is 3-4 with a 3.05 ERA in 12 starts. He has struck out 38 and walked 22 in 68 innings.

It is the second straight season he has been named to an All-Star team as he was chosen to play in the Midwest League All-Star Game last season, while with Class-A Wisconsin.

Garfield is hitting .241 with 25 RBI and has scored 15 runs. The catcher is throwing out 35 percent of base stealers as well.

It is the second straight season Garfield has made the All-Star roster.

"It is great getting the award and playing against some of the best guys in the league," Garfield said. "I am looking forward to it a lot, know what to expect from last year and ready to just soak it in and enjoy it."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Manatees' All-Star catcher an attention-grabber

Michael Parsons, FLORIDA TODAY

Cameron Garfield has always known what he wanted to do with his life.

The Milwaukee Brewers gave him that chance in 2009 and he's worked hard to make sure that goal becomes a reality.

The 6-foot, 190-pound catcher for the Brevard County Manatees made his second straight appearance in the Florida State League All-Star Game on Saturday night, showing that all of the hard work is paying dividends.

The California native has improved both offensively and defensively this season, showing a maturity that manager Joe Ayrault has been looking for in the 25-year-old.

"He (has) really matured, especially as a leader," Ayrault said. "His game-calling and working with the staff, his throwing — it has been a big improvement over last season."

He focused on his defense during spring training and worked on simplifying things.

"I am trying to stay a little shorter (with my stride) and gain a little more ground with my feet. Just focusing on making a good solid throw instead of worrying about all the mechanics," Garfield said. "I put the work in early and now when someone steals, I just think about throwing them out rather than all the little things."

The change has boosted his defense. He is throwing out 35 percent of base runners this season, up around 10 percent from last season.

Garfield simply calls it having "a little more experience under my belt now."

He also has fought through a tough month of May, when he hit just .205.

"May was a little rough on me but we had our hitting coordinator come in and then talking with Ned (Yost IV), I think we figured a couple of things out to get me back on track," Garfield said.

But even through the rough May, he has been much more patient at the plate, walking 13 times already this season. He walked 14 times in 109 games last season with the Manatees.

"I am trying to be more patient up there, draw a few more walks, but I don't go up there looking for walks," Garfield said. "I try to pick a single pitch out and put a good swing on it."

In June, that outlook has worked well as he is hitting .320 and heads to the All-Star break on a hot streak, hitting in four straight games.

Garfield knows the road to where he wants to go will be a long one, but he is looking forward to the challenge.

"The Brewers gave me this opportunity. I took it and am enjoying every second of it," Garfield said.

If he continues to improve at the rate he has this season, the road to Milwaukee will be a short one.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Taylor torching two-baggers

Brewers No. 2 prospect flashing five-tool potential with Manatees

By Guy Curtright / Special to MiLB.com

The now long-running joke -- if you can really call it that -- began when Brevard County center fielder Tyrone Taylor recorded seven doubles in his first six games.

Joe Ayrault asked Milwaukee's No. 2 prospect if he was Irish, at first drawing a puzzled look from the 20-year-old.

"Yeah, man," the Manatees manager quipped. "You know, you keep doublin' all the time."

Double. Dublin. Dublin, Ireland. Get it? Taylor finally did.

"He still asks me if I'm Irish when I get to second base, and now I just shake my head yes," Taylor said.

"It's kind of our inside joke," Ayrault said.

The manager certainly has had plenty of opportunities to keep repeating it.

Taylor was tied for the Minor League lead with 27 two-baggers through his first 70 games and was already closing in on the 33 he accumulated in his first full season last year while in the Class A Midwest League.

The former high school football standout had a pair of two-baggers in Brevard County's opener, then three in the fourth game. He really hasn't slowed down much since.

A few have been hustle doubles, the speedy Taylor running hard out of the box. "I always think extra bases," he said.

Most, though, haven't required an extra burst of speed.

"I've been lucky down the left-field line," the right-handed hitter said. "And, honestly, I try to go up the middle. But I think I've been able to keep them fair because I always try to stay inside the ball."

The second-round pick in the 2012 Draft is considered a potential five-tool player, and he has shown flashes in all the categories, including becoming the first Brevard County player to ever hit for the cycle.

"He definitely has the range and arm for center field," his manager said. "You want a young player to be a hitter first and then let the power come when he fills out and matures. He has a real chance to be the total package."

Taylor's batting average was a modest .260, despite going 5-for-5 in his late-April cycle and having a recent four-hit game that included four RBIs. But he was the third-toughest batter in the Florida State League to strike out and had an on-base percentage of .317 to go with 45 runs scored and 37 RBIs.

"I know I've had good games and bad, but I'm trying to stay consistent at the plate and keep the same approach every time," he said.

Although Taylor was a standout running back and safety at Torrance High School near Los Angeles, baseball was always his true sport. His mother instilled in him the love of the diamond at an early age.

"She was a softball player, and there are pictures of me wearing a batting helmet when I was really young," he said. "I think I was the bat boy."

Taylor, though, definitely feels that his football background has been a help.

"It toughened me up physically and mentally, and that helps with the grind of a long baseball season," he said.

Taylor, who received a bonus of $750,000 to pass up a baseball scholarship to Cal State Fullerton, had stolen just seven bases despite his speed. "I know that's one area I need to improve on," he said.

You can't steal second, though, when you have already hit your way there.

"Reggie Williams, our first base coach, laughs that he doesn't get to spend much time with Tyrone," Ayrault said. "He always runs right by him."

Tyrone Taylor leads the league with 27 doubles and is batting .260 with a .317 OBP. (Mark LoMoglio photo / MiLB.com)

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/9/2/4/81350924/cuts/13974064826_cc2dabc788_o_5r5pmivb_puvn7e8i.jpg

Hey guys, seeing how our system is really breaking out, I thought it would be fun to rank prospects by current affiliate. Doing it this way sure makes it easier! It also helps me start building my tiers for our community list.

Brevard County Manatees Top 10

1. Orlando Arcia - SS: 3.5 years younger than FSL average while putting up 111 OPS+ as a slick SS is tremendous. Stud.

2. Tyler Wagner - RHP: Similar arsenal as Yovanni Gallardo when he was in FSL except Wagner attacks more, resulting in many more GB’s and fewer K’s.

3. Tyrone Taylor - OF: 2.5 years younger than FSL average while putting up 111 OPS+ as a 5 tool CF’er. Reminds me of a rich man’s Logan Schafer.

4. Jorge Lopez - RHP: About 2 years younger than FSL average. Bumped his stuff up a notch this year. Another notch and you have a top-50 guy.

5. Victor Roache - OF: Good candidate to catch fire in the 2nd half much like he did last year.

6. Hobbs Johnson - LHP: 2013 14th rounder is advancing quickly after finding another grade on his fastball, now sitting low-90’s, and his command.

7. Damien Magnifico - RHP: Has found success as a SP but I think he follows David Goforth to the ‘pen. Chance to be impact there. Very versatile guy.

8. Michael Reed - OF: Career .268/.377/.371 across 251 games with 69 XBH’s but only 4 HR’s.

9. Nicky Delmonico – 3B: Career .243/.340/.412 over 210 games with 74 XBH’s. Legit 3B who makes a lot of weak contact considering the 27 career homers.

10. Nathan Orf – Utility: Jumped two levels (R+ to A+) yet batting line remained unchanged. Could be an undrafted gem.

I like Roache's power potential, and I'm willing to wait that out, but he has been pretty bad so far. I'd definitely bump Hobbs above him and with a good week or two I'd probably even put Magnifico solidly ahead as well (one big flashy tool with production, beats one big flashy tool with little production)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Arcia flashes Major League talent

Like brother Oswaldo, Brewers' No. 4 prospect propelling quickly

By Guy Curtright / Special to MiLB.com

Oswaldo Arcia quickly slugged his way to the Major Leagues. Younger brother Orlando has a different calling card, but may be on the same fast track.

"He can play up there right now defensively," Brevard County manager Joe Ayrault said of the slick-fielding middle infielder.

The younger Arcia -- the Milwaukee Brewers' No. 4 prospect -- is still just 19 years old, though, and remains a work in progress offensively.

The results this season have certainly been encouraging, however.

Orlando may not swing the bat like his older brother, who made it to the Minnesota Twins early last season as a 21-year-old. But he is proving to be no easy out, either.

Arcia, who started the season as the Class A Advanced Florida State League's youngest player, had an 11-game hitting streak during April that featured a four-hit game. A few downtimes at the plate followed, but the right-handed hitter heated up in a big way during June.

Arcia had a pair of four-hit games over a three-day span early in the month, then was 5-for-5 with five RBIs in the best game of his young career on June 25.

"I feel more mentally and physically ready," he said through a translator. "At the start of the season, I was kind of nervous. But I feel very comfortable now."

For the month of June, he hit .337 (33-for-98) with 11 doubles, two triples, three homers and 23 RBIs.

Not bad for someone whose reputation is all about defense.

"His hand-eye coordination is off the charts," Ayrault said. "His big thing is learning his strike zone and not getting himself out. He can pretty much hit anything nose to toes. He's done a really good job this season of shrinking the strike zone and learning the pitches he can hit hard."

Arcia had only 41 strikeouts compared to 26 walks and a .335 on-base percentage to go with a .278 batting average through 80 games. He had 28 extra-base hits and 13 stolen bases.

Still, it is his defense that really draws the attention of scouts.

Arcia has seen time at second base as well as shortstop this season and excelled at both.

"He's the total package -- the arm, the range, the hands, plus the instincts," Ayrault said. "He's a very instinctive player, especially for his age."

That really isn't surprising when you consider Arcia's background. He has been following in his brother's footsteps since his early days on the diamond in Venezuela.

They each signed at 16, three years apart, and Oswaldo, a left-handed hitting outfielder, offered a blueprint of what was needed to succeed.

"Having a brother in the Major Leagues has definitely been a help for him," Ayrault said. "You can see that influence. He's very mature."

The brothers remain close, in-season and out.

"He talks to me a lot and tells me how to keep straight and not get too high or too low," Arcia said. "Just stay the same and confident."

Arcia broke his left ankle and missed the 2012 season, which was to be his first in the United States. He says he still isn't running with the confidence he had before the injury, but the Brewers certainly haven't slowed down his accelerated advancement.

Arcia held his own in the Class A Midwest League last year as an 18-year-old and excelled this season after making the step up to Brevard County.

"I've been very impressed with everything about him," Ayrault said. "He's definitely got the makeup and the talent to be a Major League shortstop."

Orlando Arcia, 19, batted .337 with 11 doubles, three home runs and 23 RBIs in June for the Manatees. (Mark LoMoglio photo / MiLB.com)

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/5/8/4/83661584/cuts/13997174855_d5ae04308d_o_z6ru9n4r_0q5906p3.jpg

Community Moderator

Futures Game rep Lopez keeps son on his mind

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Jorge Lopez was all smiles Sunday at the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, a stopping point for Brewers prospects past on their way to the big leagues. The right-hander dressed at a locker neighboring former Milwaukee All-Star Jose Hernandez, who served on the "World" team's coaching staff, in a clubhouse filled with some of Minor League Baseball's best international talent.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Lopez briefly took the mound at Target Field and retired the only hitter he faced with some help from second baseman Jose Rondon's slick defense on a ground ball toward second base.

Part of Lopez's mind, however, was on a little boy in Miami. His 13-month-old son, Mikael, is awaiting an intestinal transplant.

"It's a little bit tough sometimes when you try to work every day and you've got that in your mind," Lopez said. "But God is good, and I take it as one of life's experiences."

Lopez, 21 and a second-round Draft pick of the Brewers in 2011, has sweetened his stock this season (he's No. 19 on MLB.com's list of Milwaukee's top prospects) while pitching for the advanced Class A Brevard County Manatees. He is 8-4 with a 3.26 ERA in 16 starts, with the best ratio of strikeouts to walks (2.69) of his brief career.

He has been granted peace of mind pitching near his young son. Mikael Lopez was born prematurely last year and spent the first year of his life in a hospital suffering from an unknown autoimmune disease. After dad was assigned to Brevard County, he arranged for Mikael to be transferred to a facility in Miami, where doctors determined a transplant was necessary.

The Manatees will stage a golf fundraiser in August, collecting entry fees and hole sponsorships to help Lopez and his family cover medical and transportation costs. The Brewers organization has helped by occasionally altering Lopez's schedule to allow him to travel down Interstate 95 to Miami when necessary.

"It's part of life," Lopez said.

But it's not a part of life most 21-year-olds experience, so the Brewers have been supportive.

"In my time here, we do a great job of reaching out and helping our guys," said Minor League pitching coordinator Rick Tomlin. "His staff in Brevard has gone overboard to help him, [manager] Joe Ayrault and [pitching coach] David Chavarria, and we've worked around his concerns and issues, trying to be supportive and keep him going.

"As difficult a thing as this has been for him, I think he's coming through this pretty good. ... He's a good kid. He's solid. He's mature."

He's also a nice pitcher. Listed as 6-foot-4 and 186 pounds in the Brewers media guide, Lopez has put on good weight during his three years pitching professionally. He has embraced Tomlin's increased focus on learning to pitch at an earlier stage in player development, instead of simply gaining arm strength in the Minor Leagues. Lopez has impressed coaches with his grasp of the changeup.

"He's the poster child for player development," Tomlin said.

The Futures Game was another good step in that development. Two of the Brewers' four 2014 All-Stars once upon a time played in the event (Aramis Ramirez and Francisco Rodriguez) as did a slew of past Brewers All-Stars, including Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Yovani Gallardo and Jimmy Nelson.

"Myself and [brewers field coordinator Charlie Greene] talked to Lopez and explained to him that almost everybody who's played in this game has pitched in the big leagues, and what a great honor this is," Tomlin said.

Lopez was already aware.

"I have followed the Futures Game, but I never imagined being selected," Lopez said. "It's a big opportunity. I never thought I would be here.

"I like Jimmy Nelson a lot. I follow him all the time, watch him pitch whenever I can. When I saw he made the [Futures Game U.S.] team last year, I saw him pitch. I never thought the next year I would come here. I'm excited."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Futures Game another step to majors for Brewers prospect Lopez

Phil Ervin, FOX Sports Wisconsin

MINNEAPOLIS -- Jorge Lopez sat in the Target Field bullpen for seven innings, patiently biding his time and soaking up what he referred to after as the experience of a lifetime.

When World Futures manager Bert Blyleven finally called his number, the gangly, right-handed Brewers prospect loped out to the mound and told himself to keep his nerves in check.

After all, a sold-out house for the Futures Game is a far cry from the cramped ballparks of the Florida State League.

"I just think like 'don't nervous, don't look around and just concentrate on playing,'" the 21-year-old from Puerto Rico grinned afterward, not a trace of sweet dropping from his curly-haired Mohawk.

A low-90s sinker and a curveball and changeup that regularly fool batters have Lopez steadily ascending through Milwaukee's farm system. In 16 starts during his first High-A season, the 6-foot-4, 165-pounder is 8-4 with a 3.26 ERA.

Drafted in the second round of the 2011 draft, Lopez spent two seasons playing rookie ball before joining the Low-A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers last summer. Then came his latest promotion to the Brevard County Manatees.

And an All-Star caliber season to date.

"Me, I just take day by day," said Lopez, who speaks broken English but grasps the language much better than he did upon reaching the professional ranks directly out of high school. "It's a process, you know? I just take the steps and get better, like try to get better each and every day."

Lopez was born Feb. 10, 1993 in Cayey, P.R., a town of about 48,000 in the American commonwealth's central mountain range. Its higher elevation makes for cooler temperatures than the rest of the island, and its strong infrastructure includes a Wal-Mart and Coca-Cola and Procter & Gamble manufacturing plants.

"It's a small city," Lopez said, "but it's one of the best."

Lopez played youth baseball there for 10 years before moving to nearby Caguas to attend high school and attract scouts' attention. The Brewers signed him on as part of their movement to develop more pitching depth throughout their minor league ranks.

Three years later, he was one of 19 Single-A prospects to participate in the Futures Game, the first of three baseball showcases culminating in Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game.

Facing fellow Florida State Leaguer J.P. Crawford of the Phillies' farm system, Lopez coaxed a sharp ground-out to second in his one batter faced. Blyleven, the Hall of Fame hurler, then replaced Lopez in attempt to keep his promise of playing all 25 players on the World roster.

But this day wasn't about accumulating innings -- just recollections.

"It was my first time pitching in front of a lot of people -- a lot of people," Lopez said. "I just had fun."

The World Futures wound up losing 3-2. Lopez, though, took it as another juncture on his journey to the big leagues.

"I never played with those guys, and it's good to see and watch them," Lopez said. "We just take the opportunity for to take the time and have fun with them."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Something major may be brewin' for Manatees' Wagner

Michael Parsons, Florida Today

Josh Beckett and Yovani Gallardo went from Space Coast Stadium to becoming major league baseball All-Stars.

If the numbers are any indication, Brevard County Manatees starting pitcher Tyler Wagner could be next.

Beckett was 6-0 with a 1.23 ERA in 12 starts with the Manatees in 2001. Gallardo went 6-4 with a 2.09 ERA in 13 starts in 2006 for the Manatees.

So far this season, Wagner is 9-4 with a 1.71 ERA in 17 starts. He is scheduled to take the hill on Tuesday night in Fort Myers.

The 1.71 ERA is tops in the Florida State League this season and he is tied for the top spot in wins with nine.

What is the secret?

Consistency. That and hating to give up a hit, not alone a run.

"I go out there every time like I am going to give up no runs, no hits," Wagner said before Saturday evening's game with St. Lucie. "As soon as they get that first hit, every time I say, 'There goes the no-no.' I truly believe, every time, that I am going to go out and throw a no-hitter. But like I said, you can only control so much."

Lately, the 23-year-old from Las Vegas has been controlling most everything. In the past five starts, he has given up just two runs in 34 1/3 innings, striking out 30 and walking seven.

Wagner is still getting comfortable as a starting pitcher, something he really did not do throughout high school and college. As a matter of fact, you can probably count the number of starts he made on your fingers.

In high school, he was a shortstop but pitched some.

Then he was a closer, and a very good one, at the University of Utah. He holds the career saves mark there.

But the Milwaukee Brewers saw his potential as a starting pitcher, drafted him in the fourth round in 2012 and converted him.

At first he struggled, posting a 1-4 record with a 7.77 ERA at Helena in 13 starts. Since then, he's been getting better each season, compiling a 10-8 record with a 3.21 ERA last season in Wisconsin.

"I think when I was closing, I would go out and blow it out every time. Throw as hard as you can because you only have one inning or two. Now it is more learning how to pitch, seeing the lineup three or four times through," Wagner said. "Realizing that you (don't) have a pitch in the beginning of the game and then slowly start to work it back and have that pitch in the fourth, fifth or sixth inning. Knowing in the back of your mind that you don't have to worry about that inning because you can develop it throughout the game."

Wagner credits the improvement to taking things day by day.

"I think it is just breaking it down to every day, getting the most out of every day, doing the most you can every day and being consistent," Wagner said. "I let the now effect the now and not let the past affect anything that happens in the now. But I think it is being consistent with the work ethic and trusting what (pitching coach) Dave Chavarria and the manager are doing with me and the work that I am putting in."

It's that thinking that has the Florida State League All-Star looking like maybe, just maybe, he will be a major addition to the Milwaukee Brewers' rotation in the near future.

Just like Beckett and Gallardo before him.

(Dennis Greenblatt/Hawk-Eye Sports Photography)

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/5ff275b00b1eb14722cd09f8f08c10ff45422250/c=280-0-4873-3453&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Brevard/2014/07/20/-brebrd04-26-2014daily1c00120140425img-tylerwagner1.jpg2011rh7.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Be sure to watch the video associated with this story at this link

Manatees, Brewers lend helping hand

John A. Torres, Florida Today

It wasn't until the baby was home for a week that his parents noticed something was wrong.

Little Mikael seemed in pain whenever he passed a bowel movement. Soon there was blood, lots of it. His young parents, Brevard Manatees pitcher Jorge Lopez and his wife rushed the newborn to the hospital. But doctors found little wrong.

"They told us these were just complications from him being born premature," the 21-year-old Lopez said this week from Space Coast Stadium, where he is helping anchor one of the best pitching staffs in the Florida State League.

More doctors and two more hospitals followed, including the leading children's hospital in Puerto Rico where Lopez is from. They stayed at the children's hospital for five months as doctors ran batteries of tests to find out what was wrong with the boy.

"He was getting sick a lot, and he wasn't gaining any weight. He had bronchitis and pneumonia and was very bad," Lopez said. "Finally we brought him to a hospital in Miami."

That's where they discovered that the little boy's intestines had never worked a day in his young life. An unknown autoimmune disease has necessitated an intestinal transplant.

"Now we are waiting to see if the transplant is the answer," Lopez said, realizing all too well that he is a key player in a story about faith, baseball, a rare disease and the need for a miracle.

The Hand

The medical bills and expenses have grown so much that Lopez smiles sadly and says he is on a payment plan. Transporting his sick child and wife from Puerto Rico to Miami costs $8,000 alone. That's where the Manatees are pitching in with the "18 for 18 Charity Golf Tourney" scheduled for Friday, Aug. 8 at Turtle Creek Golf Club in Rockledge.

Lopez wears number 18 on his jersey.

All proceeds will go to help the young family cover travel and medical expenses, something that causes Lopez to shake his head slowly and somehow keep the tears welling in his eyes from spilling out.

"There are no words, no words to express my gratitude for what the Manatees and Brewers have done and are doing for me and my family," Lopez said. "Not everyone does this type of stuff. They have offered me their hand."

That "hand," support from family, friends and most of all a deep Christian faith have helped the young couple navigate this last year without falling completely apart. Lopez acknowledges that this ordeal has been very difficult on the young couple.

They come from a mountainous region in central Puerto Rico called Cayey, far enough from the bright lights of San Juan to enjoy a humble and peaceful life. But Lopez has a special right arm, so special that the Brewers made him a second-round draft choice in 2011 and he is presently ranked as the club's 19th best prospect despite being in Single A ball.

And so home now is whatever hospital his little boy is lying in at the moment.

Lopez has been burning up the miles on I-95 in between starts as the club has allowed him to make visits to see Mikael in between starts.

"It's hard for me being here but I can't imagine what it is like for (my wife) being there in Miami and dealing with everything on a daily basis. But she is very strong and we both have very strong faith, great faith. God is good."

More valuable than Money

Somehow, Lopez has been able to pitch the heck out of the baseball despite his son's condition and the constant worrying, travel and mounting medical bills.

He's 8-5 with a 3.54 ERA and 73 strikeouts to only 29 walks. He was even selected to pitch recently for the World All-Star Team in the Futures Game during the Major League All-Star break, calling it a great thrill to feel so close to his dream.

"I always try to forget about everything when I get to work," he said. "With God's help, I can forget it but it's very difficult. My teammates have helped me very much. They tell me to keep going."

His son's smile, as rare as it occurs, also keeps him going.

"He is so beautiful to look at," Lopez said. "It's beautiful to look at him when he's smiling and laughing and when he's doing well. But it's rare to see him happy. The medicines he is on right now make him so sleepy. Still, you can see his will to live."

If Mikael is going to live, he will need new intestines. He will need Brevard residents to sign up to play golf and raise money for his medical needs. He will need something more, something greater.

"The expenses and money is a reality that God has placed in our lives," Lopez said. "But what I value much more than the money being raised are the prayers being offered up for my son — that's what's really important."

So, whatever you decide to do — play golf, send a donation, offer up a prayer or simply cheer the tall right-hander when he takes the mound at Space Coast Stadium — do it with a full heart knowing how much his young family needs it.

And if you are a believer, then remember a little boy you'll never meet when you kneel down in church today. Because despite being only one year old, he can already use a miracle.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ea27c3f254f70c8a258d08f23c0d2eb9c7fbba10/c=0-94-640-576&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Brevard/2014/07/26/photo2.jpg

To learn about donation details, contact Kevin Soto ksoto "at" spacecoaststadium.com.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Manatees pitcher grateful for help with medical bills

Chris Bonanno, FLORIDA TODAY

ROCKLEDGE – The Brevard County Manatees took time to help one of their own on Friday afternoon, hosting a charity golf tournament at Turtle Creek Golf Club to benefit the son of pitcher Jorge Lopez.

The tournament, dubbed "18 for 18," referencing Jorge's jersey number with the Manatees, helped raise money for the Lopez family. Mikael, Jorge's 1-year-old son, suffers from an unknown autoimmune disease and has only spent a few days outside of a hospital. Funds from this event will go toward paying for Mikael's medical bills and travel for the Lopez family from their home in Puerto Rico to Miami, where Mikael is currently hospitalized.

"I really appreciate them for coming," Jorge said. "… They (the Manatees) said I'm part of the family, so they really helped me, so I really appreciate them doing that and I feel blessed."

Everything came together for the event perfectly, from getting an afternoon in early August without even a hint of rain, to getting a rare Friday off-day in what is generally a very busy part of the schedule for the Manatees.

Ninety golfers participated in the event, and each hole was sponsored by a local business, adding to the financial assistance the Lopez family will receive.

"Our daughter was born premature so I know what it's about, so it's really good to give back," said Brian Jaskiewicz, of Space Coast Intelligent Solutions, who played in the event and whose company sponsored a hole and team in the event.

The genesis for the idea came a few weeks ago from Brevard County Manatees manager Joe Ayrault, who conveyed his idea to Manatees General Manager Kyle Smith.

"The idea came about in a late-night discussion after a game ... Joe Ayrault actually is the one that came up with the idea 'let's do a golf tournament.' Then we looked at our schedule collectively and it's not often that a team gets a Friday off-day, so we decided to do it today and so far it's worked out great.

"We set up a site on Go Fund Me for Jorge Lopez and his family. We generated about $4,000 there. We auctioned off Jorge's personalized glove, we made about $1,000 in one night there, so the collective pull for the Manatees Community Foundation has generated about $10,000.

Those interested in helping the Lopez family can still do so through donations, adding to what has already been a tremendous community effort.

Chris said last night the T-Rats are going to be hosting a silent auction at the end of August for the Lopez family which I thought was pretty cool.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived