Brewer Fanatic

Your 2014 Brevard County Manatees -- Latest: RHP Scott Lieser February Audio

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Indications are that we will begin to see some formal minor league roster announcements as early as Monday 3/31 or Tuesday 4/1. The formal announcement will come directly from the Manatees, not the Brewers. All four minor league affiliates will likely send out their press releases within an hour or so of each other once the Brewers have given them the official go-ahead to do so.

Feel free to link to any formal notices you see here.

As you might know, we use the "Your 2014" threads to post and link to feature stories that are outside the scope of game activity covered in the Daily Link Report.

These threads have become among the most popular for viewing here, and we look forward to kicking them off formally.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

2014 Brevard County Manatees Official Roster - PDF Format

Brevard County's 2014 Opening Day roster announced

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. - The Milwaukee Brewers have announced the Opening Day roster for the 2014 Brevard County Manatees, which features eight of the Brewers' top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America.

Outfielders Tyrone Taylor (ranked 2nd) and Victor Roache (5th), infielders Orlando Arcia (7th) and Yadiel Rivera (13th); along with pitchers Tyler Wagner (16th), Jed Bradley (18th), Damien Magnifico (23rd) and Jorge Lopez (24th) will suit up for the 'Tees to start the season.

Taylor, a second round pick in the 2012 MLB Draft, led Class-A Wisconsin last season in hits, runs scored and doubles.

Roache, the 28th overall pick in the 2012 Draft, finished third in the Midwest League in 2013 with 22 homers and led the Timber Rattlers with 74 RBI and 202 total bases.

Along with Taylor and Roache, Brevard's Opening Day roster features several other top hitters from the 2013 Wisconsin squad. Michael Reed hit a team-high .286 with the Timber Rattlers, stole 26 bases and finished second in the Midwest League with 13 triples.

Mike Garza ranked second on the Timber Rattlers with a .282 batting average last season, while Alfredo Rodriguez hit .270 and finished second on the team in on-base percentage.

Arcia, who according to Baseball America has the best infield arm in Milwaukee's minor league system, finished 2013 with the third-lowest plate appearances per strikeout ratio as he struck out just once every 12.15 plate appearances in Wisconsin.

Wagner and Lopez were the top two starting pitchers for the Timber Rattlers last season. Wagner finished eighth in the Midwest League with a 3.21 ERA, third with 148.2 innings pitched and a batting average against of .236, which ranked fifth. Lopez ranked second on the team behind Wagner in wins, innings pitched and earned run average.

Along with the returning Rivera, Bradley and Magnifico, five other players from last year's Brevard squad will start 2014 with the 'Tees.

Pitchers Jacob Barnes, Stephen Peterson, Chad Pierce, Tommy Toledo and catcher Cameron Garfield also return as they helped the Manatees to a 66-68 record, the club's best mark since 2009. In the first half the 2013 season, the 'Tees finished one-half game out of first place.

Barnes tied for third in the Florida State League in 2013 with nine wins, while Pierce ranked fifth in the FSL with 106 strikeouts and Toledo finished the season with 20 saves, tying him for second in the league.

Fans will have the opportunity to meet the team on Tuesday, April 1, during the annual Manatees Fan Fest beginning at 6:00 PM at Space Coast Stadium in Viera. Players will be available for autographs and fans can watch the team practice under the lights as they prepare for the 2014 season. Admission for Manatees Fan Fest is free.

The Manatees will open the 2014 season at Space Coast Stadium on Thursday, April 3 at 6:35 PM (5:35 Central). as they host the defending Florida State League Champions and rival Daytona Cubs.

Opening Night is presented by Parker Brothers Concepts and admission is free. In lieu of paying for admission, the Manatees are asking for fans to please make a monetary donation to the Manatees Community Foundation on Opening Night.

There will also be Thirsty Thursday drink specials from when gates open until the end of the fifth inning as select 16 ounce Miller draft beers and 16 ounce Coca-Cola fountain drinks will be just $2. Following the game, there will be a fireworks show presented by Creative Pyrotechnics.

For more information on the Brevard County Manatees, call (321) 633-9200 or go online to ManateesBaseball.com.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pitchers Jacob Barnes, Stephen Peterson, Chad Pierce, Tommy Toledo return

All four of these guys have to be asking themselves what they have to do to move up to the AA bullpen. In Peterson's case, a worthwhile (yes, older) southpaw, well, the Brewers have shown they just don't have a plan for advancing or cultivating LH bullpen arms (or LH starters, for that matter...).

Do they still piggy-back starter at high-A? I would guess Wagner, Lopez, Bradley, and Magnifico are locked into the rotation with Ross and Johnson as the candidates for the other slot? With the above mentioned track record for developing left handed pitchers, that would rule out Johnson.

Outfielders Tyrone Taylor (ranked 2nd) and Victor Roache (5th), infielders Orlando Arcia (7th) and Yadiel Rivera (13th); along with pitchers Tyler Wagner(16th), Jed Bradley (18th), Damien Magnifico (23rd) and Jorge Lopez (24th) will suit up for the 'Tees to start the season.

This is where I look at a roster and think "oh no"... you have 2 SSs who project as MLB players defensively, but neither one hit particularly well last season. I have no problem with Arcia getting bumped up nor Rivera repeating A+ again based on their career arcs, but if this becomes one of those deals where one guy is sitting while the other plays I'll be pissed. Rodriguez is a nice utility guy, I like "Fredo" as Mehring referred to him, but if he plays any SS outside of an injury, someone needs a punch in the eye.

I not opposed to the idea of Rivera and Arcia splitting time between SS and 2B increasing their positional flexibility, but I feel much better about Orlando's long-term prospects than I do Yadiel at this point. So if push came to shove and they were going to choose 1 or the other, they'd better make the correct choice about which prospect ends up playing SS.

Does this mean McFarland heads back to WI?

I'll also echo MH, how are none of those relievers promoted to AA? Tommy Toledo especially, he put up 1.1 WHIP, 2.11 ERA, 7H/9, 2.9BB/9, and 7.2K/9 last year, he now almost has a full 1.5 years in A+. What more would he need to do?

Jed Bradley returns to A+ for the 3rd straight year... I don't have the words... hopefully he earns a quick bump.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Congratulations to 2013 31st round RHP Tanner Poppe (pronounced "Poppy"). The 6'6" University of Kansas product was the only player to jump from Helena directly to Brevard County. Here's his Helena audio interview from late July.

It should be noted that RHP Alex Moore, 2013 28th round pick out of Lee University, was jumped to Brevard after just three Maryvale appearances last summer.

Have not seen Delmonico at all either.

He's dealing with personal issues and wasn't in camp, noted elsewhere.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Congratulations to 2013 31st round RHP Tanner Poppe (pronounced "Poppy"). The 6'6" University of Kansas product was the only player to jump from Helena directly to Brevard County. Here's his Helena audio interview from late July.

Undrafted free agent and HBP machine Nathan Orf also made the Helena-to-Brevard jump. Sorry for the oversight, Nathan.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

While we wait for the Wisconsin roster, there appear to be three players who finished up at Brevard in 2013 who are not yet listed for 2014.

C Rafael Neda

OF Lance Roenicke

RHP Alex Moore

Among the players still in Wisconsin limbo, the biggest surprise for me to not be in this Manatee thread yet is 24-year-old Cuban RHP Rodolfo Fernandez, looking forward to his 2nd U.S. season after he missed 2012 with a fractured pitching hand.

Among the players still in Wisconsin limbo, the biggest surprise for me to not be in this Manatee thread yet is 24-year-old Cuban RHP Rodolfo Fernandez, looking forward to his 2nd U.S. season after he missed 2012 with a fractured pitching hand.

But, what would they do if Lowe and Leon did not have roster spots in AA?

This is where I look at a roster and think "oh no"... you have 2 SSs who project as MLB players defensively, but neither one hit particularly well last season. I have no problem with Arcia getting bumped up nor Rivera repeating A+ again based on their career arcs, but if this becomes one of those deals where one guy is sitting while the other plays I'll be pissed.

IIRC, one of Brad's Phoenix posts noted Arcia played second base alongside of Rivera. It might be more about pushing Arcia's bat and hoping his development at SS isn't stunted by not playing there every day. I guess I don't have a problem with this if there really is a need to keep Rivera at Brevard again. In an organization short on tools, sacrificing some of Arcia's time at short might be worth it to see if Yadiel can develop at all at the plate... it wouldn't take a lot more offense to give him a good shot at the big club with his defense.

Outfielders Tyrone Taylor (ranked 2nd) and Victor Roache (5th), infielders Orlando Arcia (7th) and Yadiel Rivera (13th); along with pitchers Tyler Wagner(16th), Jed Bradley (18th), Damien Magnifico (23rd) and Jorge Lopez (24th) will suit up for the 'Tees to start the season.

This is where I look at a roster and think "oh no"... you have 2 SSs who project as MLB players defensively, but neither one hit particularly well last season. I have no problem with Arcia getting bumped up nor Rivera repeating A+ again based on their career arcs, but if this becomes one of those deals where one guy is sitting while the other plays I'll be pissed. Rodriguez is a nice utility guy, I like "Fredo" as Mehring referred to him, but if he plays any SS outside of an injury, someone needs a punch in the eye.

I not opposed to the idea of Rivera and Arcia splitting time between SS and 2B increasing their positional flexibility, but I feel much better about Orlando's long-term prospects than I do Yadiel at this point. So if push came to shove and they were going to choose 1 or the other, they'd better make the correct choice about which prospect ends up playing SS.

Does this mean McFarland heads back to WI?

I'll also echo MH, how are none of those relievers promoted to AA? Tommy Toledo especially, he put up 1.1 WHIP, 2.11 ERA, 7H/9, 2.9BB/9, and 7.2K/9 last year, he now almost has a full 1.5 years in A+. What more would he need to do?

Jed Bradley returns to A+ for the 3rd straight year... I don't have the words... hopefully he earns a quick bump.

Toledo and a couple other pitchers definitely deserve to be in Double A. I could see this happening with the logjam at AAA and AA. Most of the starters back at Double A didn't have very good seasons last year. Leon is in his 10th year and still at Double A???

IIRC, one of Brad's Phoenix posts noted Arcia played second base alongside of Rivera. It might be more about pushing Arcia's bat and hoping his development at SS isn't stunted by not playing there every day. I guess I don't have a problem with this if there really is a need to keep Rivera at Brevard again. In an organization short on tools, sacrificing some of Arcia's time at short might be worth it to see if Yadiel can develop at all at the plate... it wouldn't take a lot more offense to give him a good shot at the big club with his defense.

Yea we've seen this drill before... getting bats in the line-up regardless of their best defensive position. As I said I don't have a problem with both guys switching between 2B and SS, positional flexibility is a very good thing.

Arcia needs to continue to play SS on a regular basis, he reminded me a bit of Escobar in that he'd make the fantastic play and then boot the routine grounder or make a horribly ill-advised throw. I don't think it matters where he's playing from a mental lapse standpoint, that issue can be worked on at any position, but I can't see bumping Arcia off SS because Rivera is there, it should be the other way around.

We have 3 legitimate defensive but light hitting SS now between A+ and A ball, this issue likely isn't going to go away in the immediate future so the organization needs to be more creative than making 1 guy a 2B for a year. Bouncing them all between 2B/SS preconditions all the athletes for a utility role if nothing else.

Ortega only put a .558 OPS for the H-Crew last year, Arcia had the best OPS at a measly .647, Rivera's OPS dropped all the way to .612 in BC. Yadiel has the most thump in his bat with 12 bombs and a .692 OPS as 20 year old in WI (2012) , but that doesn't mean he's the first or best option at SS long-term.

- Plato

- Plato

especially if these guys project to be light hitting middle infielders, why not get them used to a utility IF role by playing them at SS and 2B...as long as they are getting enough ABs I don't think it's going to interfere with their development. Not like they're holding back someone with Segura's offensive ability between these 3 prospects by doing this.

In ST Rivera and Arcia rotated between SS and 2B and while I wish Rivera had done enough to be in AA, think they will find a way to make it work. Developing versatility is always a good thing. Rivera is so interesting in that at times he is far from a light hitting MIF'er. Kid can go on absolute tears when he is seeing the ball. Problem is he goes so hot and cold doing that. Being in BC doesn't help much either. He has a body that will continue to fill out and develop strength.

Very disappointed that Garfield was held back. I mean for being in BC his numbers where not bad, no Brewer had a more sensational spring, he is good defensively, and there is zero blocking him in AA or AAA. Coulter is only other catcher who is an everyday catcher prospect.

As a whole. Impossible not to be excited about the OF. Cooper will be very solid. Our two top SS's in system are on same team (good or bad thing? we will see) Then of course, when it comes to winning.....returning a whole roster of college arms in a pitcher league never hurts.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Bradley battling to earn his keep

John Torres, Florida Today

Don't blame Jed Bradley if he's seen enough of Brevard County.

The 2011 first round draft pick for the Milwaukee Brewers starts his third season with the Brevard County Manatees and is hoping a healthy, consistent campaign will earn him a plane ticket to Huntsville, Alabama — home to the club's Double-A affiliate and Bradley's hometown.

Formerly listed as a top 10 prospect for Milwaukee by various media outlets, Bradley's run of bad luck and injuries force him to prove this season that he still has what it takes to pitch in the big leagues.

"Obviously, you don't choose to go back to High-A three years in a row," Bradley said this week in between signing autographs for fans at the annual Manatee FanFest. "I wouldn't have chosen to come back, but the organization thinks it's best for me to get started and to get ready to pitch in the big leagues. I trust them. I'll make the most of it and keep working hard."

From groin pulls to a parasite that caused dramatic weight loss, Bradley has endured his share of maladies. Last year, his season ended on July 25 when he was put on the disabled list with a left shoulder issue.

"It's a long list now. You can sort of check off the boxes," he laughed. "But I feel like I've addressed the issues that needed to be addressed and I'm working hard every day and I'm going to keep working hard every day and stay positive. Hopefully I will move forward and move on up."

Bradley — whose full name is Jedediah Custer Bradley (Yes, his family is related to Gen. George Armstrong Custer) — is still held in high regard, according to Milwaukee's Director of Player Development, Reid Nichols.

"He's throwing better this spring than I've seen him throw," Nichols said Wednesday. "I watched him during spring training. We're hoping to get him going and maybe do something halfway through the season."

Bradley was lights-out when he first arrived in Viera for the 2012 season. He went 19 innings over three starts without allowing a run. But the tall lefty struggled after that.

Nichols said Bradley is still considered a top prospect within the organization and is looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

Manatees manager Joe Ayrault enters his third season as Bradley's manager. He's excited to see what a healthy Bradley can do.

"He finished last year with some health issues," Ayrault said. "So far he's looked really, really good this spring. Hopefully he has a few good starts, does his thing, and then moves on up the ladder."

Bradley gets his first start Saturday when the Manatees face the Daytona Cubs. His plan? Stay aggressive, trust his stuff and pound the bottom half of the strike zone. The 23-year-old admitted to finding some comfort to starting the season in familiar surroundings, but he's ready for a change of scenery.

"I think they (Brewers) want me to be more consistent and prove that I can take the ball every fifth day and be healthy and compete and get guys out," he said. "That's what I'm here to do and that's what I'm gonna do."

Jed Bradley of the Manatees visits with fans at Space Coast Stadium. (Photo: John A. Torres/Florida Today)

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1c37c409874c24fa48e371404c811cefa97ee36a/c=216-0-3672-2592&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Brevard/2014/04/03/img2095.jpg

I noticed in last night's BC game that Arcia was playing second base so Rivera could play SS. I swear only the Brewers could manage a logjam at a position where they only really have 2 prospects (and I consider Rivera a borderline prospect because he's shown absolutely nothing with the bat). I understand Rivera is very good with the glove but Arcia has the higher upside and he should be the full time shortstop. If not in BC than in Wisconsin.

I have issues with the placement of so many players organization wide.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff
Fantastic!

Brevard Zoo weekend and the Manatees are rocking these tonight (thanks to Garrett Cooper for the tweet)

I would think it could be difficult to pick up the ball coming out of the pitcher's hand with that uniform on the mound.

BlcWoycCcAA1RHT.jpg:large

Yeah, being able to bid on Tyrone Taylor's (and all the other Brevard County players) is an awesome opportunity. So with apologies for all who have already placed bids and were hoping to keep the numbers down, here's the link to the auction, which expires Saturday night April 19th at 11:59 PM Eastern. Good luck!

Archived